Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers allowance waiting time 2015 - See mod note in post 1

• 08-02-2015 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Mod

If you choose to post experiences about Carer's Allowance applications, please make sure you do not include any personal information.

Time taken to approve carers allowance application in 2015. If you have submitted a carers allowance application in 2015 can you please post details of date submitted and any correspondence you receive from the Department of Social Protection in Longford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Time taken to approve carers allowance application in 2015. If you have submitted a carers allowance application in 2015 can you please post details of date submitted and any correspondence you receive from the Department of Social Protection in Longford.

I submitted an application on the 05 Feb 2015.

According to the DSP the current waiting time is 16 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lucasgirl1980

Hi, I applied for Carers allowance end of February, got a text message on March 5th saying they received my application & it was being processed. Heard no more so today i rang & woman told me they were doing applications received a week before mine so it should be in the next two weeks. Watch this space! Will post again when i find out.......either way!

Hi, I applied for Carers allowance end of February, got a text message on March 5th saying they received my application & it was being processed. Heard no more so today i rang & woman told me they were doing applications received a week before mine so it should be in the next two weeks. Watch this space! Will post again when i find out.......either way!

Hello, I received a request for more information last week with 21 days to reply. I posted the requested information today. Will keep you posted.

Hi, I received a letter today saying I have been awarded Carers Allowance backdated from 05/03/15 which is the date i received the text confirming they received my application. Also, received a free travel pass. Letter states I'll receive a letter shortly about any arrears due which has been agreed from 05/03/15 to 11/06/15. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. It's a long wait but certainly a lot shorter than i expected, compared to people i know who have in some cases, waited up to 8 months (3 years ago) so it has improved a lot.

• Advertisement

One other thing, I had been claiming Job Seekers Allowance when i sent my application & had heard differing claims about how you cannot claim CA when claiming JSA as you must be available to work. Just in case anyone is wondering because it's hard to get a solid answer on that anywhere, some say you must come off JSA & claim a temporary emergency payment. So just to confirm that you CAN claim JSA & apply for CA. I imagine the JSA amount per week I received will be docked from any arrears i claim. If not i'll update but i'd be shocked if it isn't.

Hi, I received a letter today saying I have been awarded Carers Allowance backdated from 05/03/15 which is the date i received the text confirming they received my application. Also, received a free travel pass. Letter states I'll receive a letter shortly about any arrears due which has been agreed from 05/03/15 to 11/06/15. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. It's a long wait but certainly a lot shorter than i expected, compared to people i know who have in some cases, waited up to 8 months (3 years ago) so it has improved a lot.

Hello there, I also got my carers approved today, backdated to 12/02/15.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HeatherB22

I got letter today saying appeal was allowed , my file has been sent back to Longford. Does anyone know how long it takes for payment to come through then ? Tried to ring Longford today and was on hold for 40 mins before I had to put phone down.

HeatherB22 wrote: »
    I got letter today saying appeal was allowed , my file has been sent back to Longford. Does anyone know how long it takes for payment to come through then ? Tried to ring Longford today and was on hold for 40 mins before I had to put phone down.

Hello there, try phoning them around 11am tomorrow morning. You should get your approval letter soon. You will also receive a free travel pass also. The free travel pass usually comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

One other thing, I had been claiming Job Seekers Allowance when i sent my application & had heard differing claims about how you cannot claim CA when claiming JSA as you must be available to work. Just in case anyone is wondering because it's hard to get a solid answer on that anywhere, some say you must come off JSA & claim a temporary emergency payment. So just to confirm that you CAN claim JSA & apply for CA. I imagine the JSA amount per week I received will be docked from any arrears i claim. If not i'll update but i'd be shocked if it isn't.

Hi Lucasgirl, I am delighted to hear you have been granted the Carers Allowance. I was in the same situation as you (on JSA) and hoping to hear a verdict any day now. I am just wondering if you know if you will be entitled to the Respite Grant in July? I read that you could not get it if you were previously on JSA. I have been looking after my daughter since I dropped out of college last October and automatically went on JSA. When I had a review with my career officer, she said I should really be on a Carers Allowance, hence the application. Would love to know if anyone else has been in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Libra2015

Hi there I applied for Carers Allowance at the end of February, received a text message from them stating they received my application on the 6th of March 2015. Had not heard anything since so I called them two weeks ago to see how my application was processing and was told I would know the by the end of May. Still have not heard anything so I called again today to be told that I would not hear anything until the end of June that each application takes 4 months. Feel very let down when I was told two weeks ago that I would know by the end of May. Anyone else going through this situation and have they yet heard anything if they applied around the same time as me? Thanks again.

Libra2015 wrote: »
    Hi there I applied for Carers Allowance at the end of February, received a text message from them stating they received my application on the 6th of March 2015. Had not heard anything since so I called them two weeks ago to see how my application was processing and was told I would know the by the end of May. Still have not heard anything so I called again today to be told that I would not hear anything until the end of June that each application takes 4 months. Feel very let down when I was told two weeks ago that I would know by the end of May. Anyone else going through this situation and have they yet heard anything if they applied around the same time as me? Thanks again.

Hi, I applied at exactly the same time as you and also got a text on the 6th March saying it was being processed. Still no news, but I will phone on Monday and keep you posted if they tell me anything different.

RachelDDD wrote: »
    Hi, I applied at exactly the same time as you and also got a text on the 6th March saying it was being processed. Still no news, but I will phone on Monday and keep you posted if they tell me anything different.

The woman that I was on the phone to today didn't seem to quite know anything about Carers Allowance which didn't make her to be any help to me which made me call back again that day to get a man that seemed to know what he was talking about. He told me that they were dealing with applications from mid - end February now and that I should hear about a decision on my application within the next week or two wether he was telling the truth or not is beyond me. Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer but I will keep you posted either way. :)

The woman that I was on the phone to today didn't seem to quite know anything about Carers Allowance which didn't make her to be any help to me which made me call back again that day to get a man that seemed to know what he was talking about. He told me that they were dealing with applications from mid - end February now and that I should hear about a decision on my application within the next week or two wether he was telling the truth or not is beyond me. Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer but I will keep you posted either way. :)

Fingers crossed! If I have any news I will post too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Hi all, Just wondering if anybody can help me out here, I applied for carers allowance in February and got a letter saying id recieve my payment on 28/05 which is today I got the money for one week but the letter said i'm due payment from 05/03 to 27/05, Do I have to ring them or do I recieve it at later date?

Hi, Finally received a letter to say When I will get my first weekly payment but I am exactly the same as bmcc10, how long does it take for them to pay the arrears amount?

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Hi all, Just wondering if anybody can help me out here, I applied for carers allowance in February and got a letter saying id recieve my payment on 28/05 which is today I got the money for one week but the letter said i'm due payment from 05/03 to 27/05, Do I have to ring them or do I recieve it at later date?

Hi there, did you get the arrears yet or did you call them in Longford.

Hi, Finally received a letter to say When I will get my first weekly payment but I am exactly the same as bmcc10, how long does it take for them to pay the arrears amount?

Hi there, did you get the arrears after.

Hi there, did you get the arrears after.
    hi
    No I have not received any news on the arrears as yet, does anyone have an idea how long it usually takes ?

hi
    No I have not received any news on the arrears as yet, does anyone have an idea how long it usually takes ?

Hello there, not sure how long it takes for arrears to be paid. Waiting for arrears myself. Maybe I will give them a call in Longford. Did you call Longford yourself ?

• Advertisement

no did not call longford, let me know what they say when you ring, but what i seem to think is it depends who you get through to, to what you hear.

Hi all was onto DSP regarding my Carers Allowance Application that I had sent in the End of February, I was told today that my application is now with a deciding officer and that they should have a decision regarding my case soon. My question is when your application was now with a deciding officer how long were you waiting for a answer from them? Thanks in advance :)

Hi all was onto DSP regarding my Carers Allowance Application that I had sent in the End of February, I was told today that my application is now with a deciding officer and that they should have a decision regarding my case soon. My question is when your application was now with a deciding officer how long were you waiting for a answer from them? Thanks in advance :)

Hello there, you will receive a reply next week. The DO is very fast. Last stage of application. Best of luck.

Hello there, you will receive a reply next week. The DO is very fast. Last stage of application. Best of luck.

Thank god! hopefully this long wait is coming to an end! Fingers and toes crossed its a positive outcome :) thanks again :)

no did not call longford, let me know what they say when you ring, but what i seem to think is it depends who you get through to, to what you hear.

Hi, I called Longford on Friday afternoon, arrears payments will be made 2-3 weeks after initial first carers payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gettingold2013

Hi
    I had Carers Allow for my son for 8 years, had to re apply last year. Currently 13 months waiting for a reply. I have phoned 4 times to be told application is still with the Doctor. Lost all Household package (electric bills are becoming stressful, Tv license writing to me as if I was a criminal, and I should of known that it should of been paid like yesterday (didn't understand that it could be paid monthly) missed out on a family holiday with my son, as no respite allowance this year. WHAT NEXT

Hi
    I had Carers Allow for my son for 8 years, had to re apply last year. Currently 13 months waiting for a reply. I have phoned 4 times to be told application is still with the Doctor. Lost all Household package (electric bills are becoming stressful, Tv license writing to me as if I was a criminal, and I should of known that it should of been paid like yesterday (didn't understand that it could be paid monthly) missed out on a family holiday with my son, as no respite allowance this year. WHAT NEXT

Has you son reached 16 and was previously DA.

Hi
    Yes that's it. I applied end April last year, they wrote to say they needed more info, doctors, Autism services etc, and that's the last time they wrote to me. All I can say is the Deciding Officer/Doctor must be flat out. (Also had to apply twice for child benefit as got turned down for that as well, my son is in an Autism Unit in a mainstream school and will be going back to 3rd year, he will probably be in secondary school until 20 years)

Hi
    Yes that's it he reached 16 and was receiving DCA. I applied end April last year, they wrote to say they needed more info, doctors, Autism services etc, and that's the last time they wrote to me. All I can say is the Deciding Officer/Doctor must be flat out. (Also had to apply twice for child benefit as got turned down for that as well, because of age. My son is in an Autism Unit in a mainstream school and will be going back to 3rd year, he will probably be in secondary school until 20 years) He managed to get Disability allow almost straight away, however because he lives with us (16yrs) he cant get the Home Package, so we lose out there.

• Advertisement

Hi
    Yes that's it he reached 16 and was receiving DCA. I applied end April last year, they wrote to say they needed more info, doctors, Autism services etc, and that's the last time they wrote to me. All I can say is the Deciding Officer/Doctor must be flat out. (Also had to apply twice for child benefit as got turned down for that as well, because of age. My son is in an Autism Unit in a mainstream school and will be going back to 3rd year, he will probably be in secondary school until 20 years) He managed to get Disability allow almost straight away, however because he lives with us (16yrs) he cant get the Home Package, so we lose out there.

Hello there, if you get approved for carers you will get the home care package back and it will be backdated. Did you send back all the requested information. Contact your local TD, they can help things along. You can request an oral hearing if the carers is refused.

Advertisement