Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers allowance waiting time 2015 - See mod note in post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gettingold2013

Thank you for your help, I didn't know you could ask for an oral hearing. Some times I think it probably isn't worth applying, as I don't think I could do it all over again, but I am sure that's what they want us to do, give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Libra2015

Hi there

Just a quick question, got a letter from my deciding officer looking for more information regarding my case giving me 21 days to reply. Posted all relevant information that she needed yesterday. Can anyone tell me if they also had to do this how long were they waiting for reply from the DO regarding their case. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

Libra2015 wrote: »
    Hi there

Just a quick question, got a letter from my deciding officer looking for more information regarding my case giving me 21 days to reply. Posted all relevant information that she needed yesterday. Can anyone tell me if they also had to do this how long were they waiting for reply from the DO regarding their case. Thanks :)

Hi, I had the same thing a few weeks ago and within a week of sending the information back, I received a letter saying the Carers Allowance had been approved. I also received the Free Travel Card the same day and the payment came through a week later. Best of luck.

RachelDDD wrote: »
    Hi, I had the same thing a few weeks ago and within a week of sending the information back, I received a letter saying the Carers Allowance had been approved. I also received the Free Travel Card the same day and the payment came through a week later. Best of luck.

That's great news :) thanks so much for letting me know, hopefully all this waiting and sending in more information will be worth it in the end :) thanks again !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gettingold2013

Hi there

Please let me know how long it takes to hear back.

• Advertisement

Please let me know how long it takes to hear back.

No problem will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

HeatherB22 wrote: »
    hi
    No I have not received any news on the arrears as yet, does anyone have an idea how long it usually takes ?

Hello, I received arrears payment today, two weeks after initial carers payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Hello, I received arrears payment today, two weeks after initial carers payment.

What way is arrears payed? Did you get a letter saying how much arrears you where getting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

bmcc10 wrote: »
    What way is arrears payed? Did you get a letter saying how much arrears you where getting ?

Hi, didn't get a letter yet, the arrears were paid into my bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HeatherB22

oconnol1 wrote: »

Hopefully I wont have long to Wait then 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 poppy6488

Hello folks. I understand the Carers allowance is means tested. (Certain there'll be no problems there) but can anyone give me an idea. I have recently been diagnosed with MS and my husband has applied to be my carer. He is on illness benefit since February, having been on jobseekers allowance prior to that. Will there still be a long drawn-out delay, and will it go to a deciding officer, or is MS considered worthy enough? Many thanks in advance.

poppy6488 wrote: »
    Hello folks. I understand the Carers allowance is means tested. (Certain there'll be no problems there) but can anyone give me an idea. I have recently been diagnosed with MS and my husband has applied to be my carer. He is on illness benefit since February, having been on jobseekers allowance prior to that. Will there still be a long drawn-out delay, and will it go to a deciding officer, or is MS considered worthy enough? Many thanks in advance.

Hi Poppy, from my experience once you make the initial application for the Carers Allowance it takes approximately 4-5 months for your case to be looked at. Then it seems to be a very fast process, if they are missing information they will send you a letter and within a week or so you will get a final decision. I think the big delay is really in the early stages as there are so many people applying for it. MS is classed as a long term condition as you know, and I have no doubt your husband will get it without any problems. I wish you both all the best :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

RachelDDD wrote: »
    Hi Poppy, from my experience once you make the initial application for the Carers Allowance it takes approximately 4-5 months for your case to be looked at. Then it seems to be a very fast process, if they are missing information they will send you a letter and within a week or so you will get a final decision. I think the big delay is really in the early stages as there are so many people applying for it. MS is classed as a long term condition as you know, and I have no doubt your husband will get it without any problems. I wish you both all the best :).

I got mine within 8 weeks of applying though my child already had dca approved which possibly speeds it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

My application was received by then on the 1st of May and was approved 6 weeks later. A few days after I got the letter of approval my arrears were paid. I just applied for household benefits package. Anyone know how long that usually takes?

My application was received by then on the 1st of May and was approved 6 weeks later. A few days after I got the letter of approval my arrears were paid. I just applied for household benefits package. Anyone know how long that usually takes?

Mine was 5 weeks exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Debred

Hi I applied for carer's allowance on May 8th.Partner had a stroke in January.I still work 15 hrs.Could someone please advise me on how much I will receive.Heard nothing from them either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 verbaldubliner

hi, new to the forum but have been reading about others experiences waiting on carers allowance.i just got the appeal allowed letter with file sent back to carers section last week but no information on when payment/arrears will start.how long till i hear something or is it best to phone longford?

hi, new to the forum but have been reading about others experiences waiting on carers allowance.i just got the appeal allowed letter with file sent back to carers section last week but no information on when payment/arrears will start.how long till i hear something or is it best to phone longford?

Hi, I got the first payment within a week of receipt of the letter but the arrears have still yet to come (2 months later). Other people seem to have received them within a couple of weeks of initial payment though. I have been told its because my Intreo office are not responding to their letters with the request for figures etc. Frustrating :mad:

Thanks. I'll wait it out then as ringing these places can be annoying. Perhaps the appeals office might help with intreo?

still waiting on the letter/payment /letter of approval. i actually thought after winning the appeal things would progress quickly.

• Advertisement

still waiting on the payment /letter of approval. i actually thought after winning the appeal things would progress quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 b.m.k.

Hi everyone :-)
    My husband suffers from severe depression. He is not able to look after himself ... I have to be with him...
    Would anyone know, if there is a chance for me to be awarded CA?
    I heard different things, and I don't know what to think...
    Please, if you know anything - let me know, B.

b.m.k. wrote: »
    Hi everyone :-)
    My husband suffers from severe depression. He is not able to look after himself ... I have to be with him...
    Would anyone know, if there is a chance for me to be awarded CA?
    I heard different things, and I don't know what to think...
    Please, if you know anything - let me know, B.
    I think there's no harm applying and you won't know for sure unless you do. Though his doctor will have to fill it in so needs to be aware of the situation and be treating your husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 b.m.k.

I think there's no harm applying and you won't know for sure unless you do. Though his doctor will have to fill it in so needs to be aware of the situation and be treating your husband.

My husband is under psychiatrist care and on medications.
    He is really ill, it's not easy :-(
    I'm working 5 hours per week, and I'm lucky because my employer is very good to me. I go to work only when it's safe to go.
    I'm getting JA as well. The thing is that, I'm not even able to look for more hours, due to my husband condition :-(
    B.

b.m.k. wrote: »
    My husband is under psychiatrist care and on medications.
    He is really ill, it's not easy :-(
    I'm working 5 hours per week, and I'm lucky because my employer is very good to me. I go to work only when it's safe to go.
    I'm getting JA as well. The thing is that, I'm not even able to look for more hours, due to my husband condition :-(
    B.
    You can't get carers allowance and jobseekers allowance as you have to be available for work to get jobseekers so you'd have to come off that.

Has your husband applied for disability allowance? Maybe if he applied for that and you applied for carers it would make things easier financially.

Having a chat with your local sw office might be the best idea.

Hi there

I applied for carers allowance on the 27th of February, received a letter in June stating I had been refused that if I was unhappy with this decision I could appeal it within 21days. I did appeal it and had received letter for an oral hearing on the 14th of September. I went to the oral hearing and stated my case which the DO informed me that I would get a letter stating if I was successful or not in a couple of weeks. I presumed I would hear something in two weeks but still no luck. Anyone been in this tiring and dragged out situation before? If so how long were you waiting to get a response ? We're your payments backdated from initial of first application? Any advice would be great as I couldn't be bothered ringing the office at this stage as they give me so many conflicting answers that I don't know what there saying is true anymore. Thank you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hi there

I applied for carers allowance on the 27th of February, received a letter in June stating I had been refused that if I was unhappy with this decision I could appeal it within 21days. I did appeal it and had received letter for an oral hearing on the 14th of September. I went to the oral hearing and stated my case which the DO informed me that I would get a letter stating if I was successful or not in a couple of weeks. I presumed I would hear something in two weeks but still no luck. Anyone been in this tiring and dragged out situation before? If so how long were you waiting to get a response ? We're your payments backdated from initial of first application? Any advice would be great as I couldn't be bothered ringing the office at this stage as they give me so many conflicting answers that I don't know what there saying is true anymore. Thank you

I would suggest that you are about three weeks post interview, and not to get down hearted.
    An idea might be to speak to your local TD or Councillor about the matter, not to demand the decision you want but to expedite the judgement itself, seeing as it's probably sitting on a desk somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭wiilow74

Hi hope someone can help me with my query ? My son has Autism and I have been receiving DCA and Carer's Allowance for him for the last 8 years , he is due to turn 16 in March 2016 , I know the payments mentioned already will stop for me but I just wondered a few things ........ I realise he can apply for DA , how long is the wait time for an application at the moment ? Also I wonder about me re-applying for Carer's Allowance for him , it says on the SW website that they contact you approx. 7 weeks before the child's 16th birthday , do I apply straight away for the Carer's and do I fill in the same form again or just send in the medical report as it mentions on the SW site that you are simply reviewed to see if you are still valid to receive it ?
    I went to the local SW office today to pick up a DA form and a Carer's Allowance form to just have them and to get prepared for applying , the girl in the SW told me that I should send the application for the DA first and then wait to see if that is approved for my son as a decision will not be made on my CA application until he is granted the DA , so any idea when I should apply for the DA and the CA ? He is 16 on March 10th 2016 . Any help would be so appreciated as I don't know how we're going to manage when the payments stop :(

wiilow74 wrote: »
    Hi hope someone can help me with my query ? My son has Autism and I have been receiving DCA and Carer's Allowance for him for the last 8 years , he is due to turn 16 in March 2016 , I know the payments mentioned already will stop for me but I just wondered a few things ........ I realise he can apply for DA , how long is the wait time for an application at the moment ? Also I wonder about me re-applying for Carer's Allowance for him , it says on the SW website that they contact you approx. 7 weeks before the child's 16th birthday , do I apply straight away for the Carer's and do I fill in the same form again or just send in the medical report as it mentions on the SW site that you are simply reviewed to see if you are still valid to receive it ?
    I went to the local SW office today to pick up a DA form and a Carer's Allowance form to just have them and to get prepared for applying , the girl in the SW told me that I should send the application for the DA first and then wait to see if that is approved for my son as a decision will not be made on my CA application until he is granted the DA , so any idea when I should apply for the DA and the CA ? He is 16 on March 10th 2016 . Any help would be so appreciated as I don't know how we're going to manage when the payments stop :(

I was in a similar situation with my child turning 16 in September (last month) I applied for DA back in June and it was granted in August with the start date being her birthday - so we were set up a good 6 weeks in advance.

In terms of carers allowance they will send you out a medical form for the doctor to complete, its a review rather than a new application. When I sent it back it was done within a few weeks- again it meant it was all set up a few weeks before her birthday so there was no stress about money running out.

You can apply up to six months in advance. It's the best way to make sure there's no gap between payments stopping and the new ones starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭wiilow74

I was in a similar situation with my child turning 16 in September (last month) I applied for DA back in June and it was granted in August with the start date being her birthday - so we were set up a good 6 weeks in advance.

In terms of carers allowance they will send you out a medical form for the doctor to complete, its a review rather than a new application. When I sent it back it was done within a few weeks- again it meant it was all set up a few weeks before her birthday so there was no stress about money running out.

You can apply up to six months in advance. It's the best way to make sure there's no gap between payments stopping and the new ones starting.

Thanks so much , I wasn't sure when to send things in so I suppose I can shortly send the DA application in what with XMas and New Year hols ect , do the SW send the med form automatically to you to get filled in for the CA review or do I request it before his 16th from them ? Thanks again for the help

Advertisement