Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers allowance waiting time 2015 - See mod note in post 1

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

I received a letter today saying I have been awarded Carers allowance. My application was sent off the 1st week of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭20784

markc1184 wrote: »
    I received a letter today saying I have been awarded Carers allowance. My application was sent off the 1st week of March.

I got approved too.

Whats the arrears waiting time?

20784 wrote: »
    I got approved too.

Whats the arrears waiting time?

My first payment is not due until this Thursday so I'm not sure what the waiting time should be. I had presumed any arrears due would be in the post office along with the first payment but if that's the case I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭20784

My first payment is not due until this Thursday so I'm not sure what the waiting time should be. I had presumed any arrears due would be in the post office along with the first payment but if that's the case I don't know.

It stated in the approval letter that first payment will got to my bank account. But they never mention anything about when arrears will be paid. Finger crossed :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LowryP

I applied in mid June when I got a break from the intense pressure surrounding my partners diagnosis of lung cancer last Autumn, and the treatment since. She has been completely helpless for years. We were through the mill with Invalidity Pension application some years ago having to wait over 40 weeks, including review, for the grant of that. If the cancer was the only problem it would have been bad enough but it came on top of pulmonary fibrosis/COPD brought on by prescribed medication three years ago which has now left her on oxygen for what's left of her life. Surely there are some conditions which should lead to automatic grant of this allowance. I was told by local SW I wouldn't qualify in 2013 as income was too high, only to be told by another SW officer in June this year that I would have qualified in 2013 had I made an application at the time as I was well within the means limit. Another battle ahead of us for the forseeable future, on all fronts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

LowryP wrote: »
    I applied in mid June when I got a break from the intense pressure surrounding my partners diagnosis of lung cancer last Autumn, and the treatment since. She has been completely helpless for years. We were through the mill with Invalidity Pension application some years ago having to wait over 40 weeks, including review, for the grant of that. If the cancer was the only problem it would have been bad enough but it came on top of pulmonary fibrosis/COPD brought on by prescribed medication three years ago which has now left her on oxygen for what's left of her life. Surely there are some conditions which should lead to automatic grant of this allowance. I was told by local SW I wouldn't qualify in 2013, only to be told by another SW officer in June this year that I would have qualified in 2013 had I made an application at the time. Another battle ahead of us for the forseeable future, on all fronts.

That's a lot to deal with. I think we all feel that too, probably because it's means tested it can't be automatically awarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LowryP

It's only 14 weeks since I applied. Submitted everything that was requested with my application form on day one, so I don't expect any problems from either a medical, means or her need for and my availability for caring duties. Her doctor certified her as not medically fit to attend the departments medical assessor as she is too ill. If it's granted I'll certainly have to seek backdating as I have been caring non stop for the last three years, 24/7, without a break or respite of any kind. I was not in a position to submit my claim until I was informed by SW in June this year that I could. Even if I could have done so much earlier the information I was given in 2013 was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shanyg

I applied in Nov 15 for carers for my wife. Got a no in July and have appealed it. The back to school allowance was never paid out so when I rang them in late July they said while appealing or applying for carers the allowance would not be payed out until the carers allowance application was completely finalised as to assess means. Strange thing is the back to school arrived in my bank today but iv heard nothing from the appeals office yet saying the appeal
    Is over. Not sure if it's a positive sign or not. I'm sure I'd have 21 days to appeal it if it was a no thus leaving the carers appeal not finalised. Anybody any thoughts or advice it's kinda shook me a bit??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Beckyboo1

Any one know how many weeks for a review decision applied 1st of March 16 ,refused July 16 sent back all information for review,

• Registered Users Posts: 48 greenhorn22

Almost 4 months waiting time for me from start to finish. 2016. (first time application)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I applied for carers allowance in July 2016 and received a letter last week to say that it was successful and will be paid back until July. I am delighted.

I was then told that I should send in an application for the respite care grant but looking online it seems that you have to be on the carers allowance from June to receive it. Does anyone know weather I should apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Beckyboo1

Hi AryaStark just wondering was it a first application or a review you got your decision on

Beckyboo1 wrote: »
    Hi AryaStark just wondering was it a first application or a review you got your decision on

It was my first application. I was delighted to get it as reading on here I was sure that it would be refused and I would have to appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

AryaStark wrote: »
    I applied for carers allowance in July 2016 and received a letter last week to say that it was successful and will be paid back until July. I am delighted.

I was then told that I should send in an application for the respite care grant but looking online it seems that you have to be on the carers allowance from June to receive it. Does anyone know weather I should apply?
    Yes, apply now. Even if you don't get this year's grant, your name will be on the system for next year. You won't have to apply again.

smjm wrote: »
    Yes, apply now. Even if you don't get this year's grant, your name will be on the system for next year. You won't have to apply again.

You don't need to apply when you're getting carers allowance-it's automatic.
    I'm not sure why they suggested applying for this year's but apply anyway and the worst that happens is they say no!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jenr

Hi, can someone help please? I applied for carers allowance for my husband 4/8/16 got a text the 18/8/16 to say they recieved my application didnt hear anything until the 13/10/16 for me to sign & my husband to sign for them to look at medical records got a refusal letter today 17/10/16 how they went through his medical files in such a short time is beyond me. I was refused because my husband was not invalided or disabled enough to require full-time care & attention as laid down in carers allowance legislation & i did not provide sufficient evidence to prove my husband satisfies the full-time care and attention requirements of the scheme. I actually broke into tears when i read this as i told them on the application form what i did for my husband & his GP filled out the form mostly severe & profound and that he needed care full-time with his everyday basic needs. My question is do i go for a review or should i go staight for an appeal? Thank you. ( 1st time application)

shanyg wrote: »
    I applied in Nov 15 for carers for my wife. Got a no in July and have appealed it. The back to school allowance was never paid out so when I rang them in late July they said while appealing or applying for carers the allowance would not be payed out until the carers allowance application was completely finalised as to assess means. Strange thing is the back to school arrived in my bank today but iv heard nothing from the appeals office yet saying the appeal
    Is over. Not sure if it's a positive sign or not. I'm sure I'd have 21 days to appeal it if it was a no thus leaving the carers appeal not finalised. Anybody any thoughts or advice it's kinda shook me a bit??

Hi any news yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rene2211

Hi there...
    Applied end April... got refused early August,
    Sent in added information for a review...
    and nothing... hoping we hear soon.. although
    I believe there's long long wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Jenr wrote: »
    Hi, can someone help please? I applied for carers allowance for my husband 4/8/16 got a text the 18/8/16 to say they recieved my application didnt hear anything until the 13/10/16 for me to sign & my husband to sign for them to look at medical records got a refusal letter today 17/10/16 how they went through his medical files in such a short time is beyond me. I was refused because my husband was not invalided or disabled enough to require full-time care & attention as laid down in carers allowance legislation & i did not provide sufficient evidence to prove my husband satisfies the full-time care and attention requirements of the scheme. I actually broke into tears when i read this as i told them on the application form what i did for my husband & his GP filled out the form mostly severe & profound and that he needed care full-time with his everyday basic needs. My question is do i go for a review or should i go staight for an appeal? Thank you. ( 1st time application)

Its very frustrating that a dr who has never met your husband can make a decision that affects yours and his life. I fought tooth and nail to get carers. I was refused and refused on review. I kicked up a huge fuss and got a few TDs to talk on my behalf. My mothers GP actually wrote a letter outlining what my mothers needs were and how afraid he was that she might be left alone. I was also advised to write a letter of my own detailing what I did for my mother on a daily basis explaining exactly word for word what I did and why I did it. I phoned the carers section quite a lot as well as the stress at the time was unreal and I felt I needed to do something. Eventually they phoned me to say the application was successful. The relief was unreal.

I might also add I was on carers benefit before allowance and was still turned down for the allowance. I heard they turn down a lot as the amount of people that are applying for carers is huge. You need to fight for it.

Write your own letter and request a review. Do what I did and outline everything you do and why and get the GP to write a letter also. I wish you the very best of luck. I know how it feels to have the application turned down. You feel like they think you are telling lies when the person making the decision has never even met you! Chin up and good luck!

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    Its very frustrating that a dr who has never met your husband can make a decision that affects yours and his life. I fought tooth and nail to get carers. I was refused and refused on review. I kicked up a huge fuss and got a few TDs to talk on my behalf. My mothers GP actually wrote a letter outlining what my mothers needs were and how afraid he was that she might be left alone. I was also advised to write a letter of my own detailing what I did for my mother on a daily basis explaining exactly word for word what I did and why I did it. I phoned the carers section quite a lot as well as the stress at the time was unreal and I felt I needed to do something. Eventually they phoned me to say the application was successful. The relief was unreal.

I might also add I was on carers benefit before allowance and was still turned down for the allowance. I heard they turn down a lot as the amount of people that are applying for carers is huge. You need to fight for it.

Write your own letter and request a review. Do what I did and outline everything you do and why and get the GP to write a letter also. I wish you the very best of luck. I know how it feels to have the application turned down. You feel like they think you are telling lies when the person making the decision has never even met you! Chin up and good luck!

Thank you very much for replying. I am so happy you got sorted. I think i will go for a review & if refused then go for an appeal or should i go straigh for an appeal? I will write a letter explaining everything i do for my husband & will get an in-depth letter from his GP.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for replying. I am so happy you got sorted. I think i will go for a review & if refused then go for an appeal or should i go straigh for an appeal? I will write a letter explaining everything i do for my husband & will get an in-depth letter from his GP.

I was told that you should go for a review and only an appeal if the review is turned down. Apparently in a review every page has to be marked as read and they have to go through everything. When I was applying I was told that it would most likely be refused and that they don't even look at all the applications they get... some are refused straight away and only on review is everything looked at (I was very lucky and approved on the first application)

Best of luck.

rene2211 wrote: »
    Hi there...
    Applied end April... got refused early August,
    Sent in added information for a review...
    and nothing... hoping we hear soon.. although
    I believe there's long long wait...

Hi, did you hear anything yet?

Write your own letter and request a review. Do what I did and outline everything you do and why and get the GP to write a letter also. I wish you the very best of luck. I know how it feels to have the application turned down. You feel like they think you are telling lies when the person making the decision has never even met you! Chin up and good

Just an update i followed your advice and got approved on review. Thank you very much for your help 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Write your own letter and request a review. Do what I did and outline everything you do and why and get the GP to write a letter also. I wish you the very best of luck. I know how it feels to have the application turned down. You feel like they think you are telling lies when the person making the decision has never even met you! Chin up and good

Just an update i followed your advice and got approved on review. Thank you very much for your help 😊

We'll done. I'm delighted. Best of luck and I hope all is OK with you!!

Apologies if this is not the right section or thread to ask this, but last year when I was awarded carers allowance for my mother I also got the respite grant. I didn't apply for it then because i didn't know about it at the time. I'm wondering if I need to apply for the grant for this year or because I got it last year I will automatically get it again this year.

Thanks
    Mark

Apologies if this is not the right section or thread to ask this, but last year when I was awarded carers allowance for my mother I also got the respite grant. I didn't apply for it then because i didn't know about it at the time. I'm wondering if I need to apply for the grant for this year or because I got it last year I will automatically get it again this year.

Thanks
    Mark

If you are still being paid carers allowance you will get the grant again.

Advertisement