Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why all the hate towards Black Veil Brides

• 08-02-2015 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭

Black_Veil_Brides_confirm_live_concert_date_at_The_Academy_in_Dublin_for_March_26th_2012_gig_show_irish_tour_dates_announced_buy_tickets_music_scene_ireland.jpg

Maybe someone could explain to me why they are so hated/despised in the rock & metal world, it's something i've never understood.

Keep it civil.

Runs for cover

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I think a lot of folks just judge them without having listened to them, so they get far too easily dismissed. I've heard folks call them 'emo' or metalcore and I was like, have you even heard them? They always struck me as kinda 80's glam-metal style, big choruses, cheese and guitar solos, they're what Steel Panther would be if they tried to take themselves seriously. They're a fun band, awful lyrics but they're good musicians.

Oh so cheesy bad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I've heard the band name before but I've never actually heard them until this thread. Seriously what the hell did I just listen to? It sounds like really, really bad glam rock marketed to teenage girls who like to think that they're 'alternative'. I don't see what anybody else could get out of this.

Now I can see why they're hated, this is everything that's wrong with modern mainstream hard rock. Style over substance to the absolute extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

They're a 'metal' version of One Direction aimed at teenage girls. They should spend less time in hair and make up and more time on less formulaic music. Plus the whole Motley Crue/Kiss image rip off even down to the names they use. Andy Sixx? Where did he get inspiration for that I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This thread itself is a bit emo - all this talk of being hated/despised, when I imagine the majority of us don't know or care. :cool:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I fall into the category of taking one look at that PIC and thinking no way would I give them the time of day. Maybe a bit sad but they look like something Louis walsh would put together.

• Advertisement

I checked out that video, and my response is not "hate", it's "is that all?" I want more.

Some days I'm happy to eat at McDonalds: it's cheap and it fills the hole for a while. Other days I want a meal that I'm going to remember. I'm still telling people about a restaurant I visited in rural France in 2005, where I enjoyed a gourmet meal for half what it would have cost here.

You remember the exceptional things - the things that you can tell were driven by passion. I'm never going to forget Iron Maiden's Aces High, or Steven Wilson's Pin Drop, or Led Zeppelin's Black Dog, or Pearl Jam's Black, and so on. Unless Black Veil Brides can produce something that memorable, I'm not going to remember them.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

I call them Cute and Adorable.

Very catchy/friendly sounds that if they're on, I will listen to but I wouldn't go outta my way to listen to them nor would I purchase a ticket to see them.

They were playing a festival and I seen them, they got plenty of abuse hurled at them, but they responded with "Yes, yes, you are the big bullies out to get us and our fans but we stand strong and stick together."

Was just really cute :o:o And look at 'em, those cheekbones :):o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,637 ✭✭✭weisses

Zwillinge wrote: »
    I call them Cute and Adorable.

Not Something I would never ever identify Metal with ..... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

weisses wrote: »
    Not Something I would never ever identify Metal with ..... :o

Metal in a changing world ;)

I know exactly what you mean, that's just how I find these lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

I cant believe they are men I thought they were women!! Holy feck is all I will say they are quite feminine looking.. MMm I love cheese and I love rock and that isn't the worst but at the same time it is why overproduced needs to be a bit rougher...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,637 ✭✭✭weisses

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Metal in a changing world ;)

I know exactly what you mean, that's just how I find these lads :)

Get you

Men checking their make up after moshing ..... (shivers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Beavis: Whoa these chicks are hot!

Butthead: Are these chicks or dudes?

Beavis: Uhh,I don't know . . .

Butthead: Uh huh huh, well they better be chicks, dammit because they're giving me a woody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭RayCon

bnt wrote: »
    Steven Wilson's Pin Drop

That's the best thing about this thread ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

sounds like passable 80's cheese power metal. They actually sound very similar to a lot of "real" european power metal bands.

I'll take it over whiny "screeching like a grounded suburban 14 year old" "-core" music any day

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I was expecting a lot worse tbh. Cheesey as hell and somewhat generic sounding, but I've heard worse. They look worse than they sound.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

If you think these guys are bad, check out Blood on the Dancefloor... :pac:
    Electric rock? Like are they joking or? :D

I was expecting a lot worse tbh. Cheesey as hell and somewhat generic sounding, but I've heard worse. They look worse than they sound.

See, this is what I meant earlier. Some people just don't give them a fair shake and dismiss them out of hand, while they're not that bad at all and people I know who have given them a listen have often been surprised, but the difference in opinion from people who've actually given them a listen and those who've not is huge. They are generic, they're ostensibly an 80's glam throwback, and they're doing absolutely nothing new, these are all decent criticisms. I'd add that their lyrics are utterly dire too, they're downright cringeworthy, but comparisons to One Direction and something Louis Walsh would produce? Come on, that's just ridiculous.

Still, all said and done they're a band who do exactly what it says on the tin, cheeseball nonsense.

Uttery cheese, dreadful lyrics, it's almost so bad it's good :D

If you think these guys are bad, check out Blood on the Dancefloor... :pac:
    Electric rock? Like are they joking or? :D

I can do you one better than that, ever heard of Brokencyde? You'll want to stab yourself in the ears after 30 seconds. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Links234 wrote: »
    I can do you one better than that, ever heard of Brokencyde? You'll want to stab yourself in the ears after 30 seconds. :pac:
    Even worse would be the two of them in one song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

They are filling the hole that blink 182 left, long may it continue...keeps my nieces out of my hair when they come to stay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

In a world with 'amazing' in it, 'not that bad' just doesn't cut it.

I'd never heard of them before. Saw the pic. Thought 'they look a bit daft'. What the hey. Give the lads a chance. Tried a track. Though 'that's a bit bland'. Tried another. Was a bit cr4p. Tried a couple more. Also bland. And crap.

What is the point of this band?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭RayCon

endacl wrote: »
    Saw the pic. Thought 'they look a bit daft'.
    Sometimes you can judge a book by it's cover

Links234 wrote: »
    See, this is what I meant earlier. Some people just don't give them a fair shake and dismiss them out of hand ...

Well, how many songs do we have to hear to give them a "fair shake"? Now multiply that by the number of similar bands out there. Who's going to pay me for my time? After all, I would need to quit my paying job if I'm going to give all these bands a "fair shake" ... :pac:

It's a dog-eat-dog world, the music business. As already pointed out, "not that bad" isn't enough for a sustainable career. If they're having fun, great, but I personally look for more originality.

―Robert Burns

bnt wrote: »
    Well, how many songs do we have to hear to give them a "fair shake"?

I was talking about people who dismiss them without even having heard them, not taking issue with your appraisement of them, and honestly your comparison with McDonalds is pretty much right on the money for me. Sometimes you just want a happy meal, that's BVB.

There also seems to be misunderstanding of what I meant when I said they're not that bad, I'm saying they're nowhere near as bad as so many people make them out to be, not that bad isn't meant to be taken as a glowing recommendation. As for their career not being sustainable, they've got four albums so far and seem to be doing pretty well, they're filling a niche and they've got a decent fanbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I don't hate the Black Veil Brides because I wouldn't waste my time hating anything, however, I will say I don't like them. I remember meeting and interviewing them in February 2011, opening for The Murderdoll's in Middlesbrough of all places, and I just kept thinking they looked like Motley Crue circa 1981...and I, naturally, love Motley Crue - so it kind of felt (to me) like this band were just ripping off their image for a younger generation and cashing in.

Their debut album wasn't bad and it got them serious attention, but like all bands worshipped by young girls, they were never likely to be taken credibly (or seriously) by the wider Metal community. See Fearless Vampire Killers. Which is a shame, because FVK aren't the worst band out there.

Advertisement