Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would the home nations finish in the PL?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

[OpenWormCan]Question is, who would you support, your country or your club?[/OpenWormCan]

Also, Rep of Ireland is not a Home Nation surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

What is a home nation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

7. England
    9. Wales
    18. Scotland
    19. ROI
    20. NI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I reckon Ireland are as good as burnley, so 18th

NI - 20
    Scotland - 17
    Wales - 15
    England - 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I think we all know what type of thread this is going to descend into...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lock job !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Out of interest how do these threads normally go?

On a similar note, how would Senegal get on in the Scottish leagues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Eleventy sixth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

vicwatson wrote: »
    Lock job !

Thread might work out ok if people like the above would let it run it's course instead of sticking their nose in with pointless posts.

I think Republic of Ireland would be relegated, but I think England would struggle to make Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm noting that there are quite a few people who have relatively high estimation of Wales :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Hard to argue with post 7 or 8 down on the redcafe thread. To quote:

"England would battle for 5th. N. Ireland definitely relegated. Wales likely to be near the bottom. Scotland and ROI would be relegation battlers but with the capacity to get around 8th-14th if they performed above their standard and were that seasons 'surprise package', particularly ROI."

Bizarre some of the people on the thread who for some reason think Wales are better than us.

If i had to equate each teams' capabilities :

England = Spurs
    Ireland = Stoke
    Scotland = West Brom
    Wales = Leicester
    N.I. = Probably can't be compared to a PL team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,309 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You won't find a better example of a nonsense thread than this one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Morzadec wrote: »
    Hard to argue with post 7 or 8 down on the redcafe thread. To quote:

"England would battle for 5th. N. Ireland definitely relegated. Wales likely to be near the bottom. Scotland and ROI would be relegation battlers but with the capacity to get around 8th-14th if they performed above their standard and were that seasons 'surprise package', particularly ROI."

Bizarre some of the people on the thread who for some reason think Wales are better than us.

If i had to equate each teams' capabilities :

England = Spurs
    Ireland = Stoke
    Scotland = West Brom
    Wales = Leicester
    N.I. = Probably can't be compared to a PL team

I'd probably have Wales = QPR myself.
    Over reliant on one man with lots of journeymen/ideas above their station.
    Otherwise, spot on.

Morzadec wrote: »

Republic of Ireland would definitely be a suprise package in the Home Nations seen as they aren't one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Omackeral wrote: »
    Republic of Ireland would definitely be a suprise package in the Home Nations seen as they aren't one!

Jesus, will people ever get over this ****. The "home nations" is generally used to include the countries in the British Isles, which were are in.

Now , don't forget to rail against the British isles now too.:rolleyes:

Jesus, will people ever get over this ****. The "home nations" is generally used to include the countries in the British Isles, which were are in.

The only people that consider us to be a "home nation" or in the British Isles are people from Britain and West Brit types, for the majority of people in this country its simply Britain and Ireland or the UK and Ireland.

I really do think that people believe theres a big conspiracy by Westminster to get us to forget we are our own country and we'll suddenly slip bac to British rule.
    I dare say thered be no issue with a geographical group term if the main body of it was "Irish".

Ram your roll eyes. The Home Nations in a footballing context refer to the countries of the UK. That's why it was said that no Home Nation qualified for the 1994 World Cup, even though we quite obviously did. Also, the Home Nations championship was contested among England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

British Isles is a geographical term meaning the islands of Ireland and Britain and their surrounds, why would I rally against that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

England would be somewhere in the top eight. ROI would be struggling against relegation, Scotland would be in a similar position. I'd compare them to the likes of Sunderland who are up and down regularly. Wales would be a Championship outift and NI would be up and down between the Championship and League One. All imo of course.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    . Wales would be a Championship

Im not sure about that. Bale banging in goals consistently would have them in a Villa type position imo,not do anything of note but not going down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The only people that consider us to be a "home nation" or in the British Isles are people from Britain and West Brit types, for the majority of people in this country its simply Britain and Ireland or the UK and Ireland.

You can argue all you like about the home nations tag, but you can't change geography. We are part of the British isles. That statement is as true as saying we are part of Europe. You can dislike it, but it doesn't make it any less true
    Im not sure about that. Bale banging in goals consistently would have them in a Villa type position imo,not do anything of note but not going down.
    Consider you mention banging in goals Villa probably wasn't the best example :p

Quazzie wrote: »
    You can argue all you like about the home nations tag, but you can't change geography. We are part of the British isles. That statement is as true as saying we are part of Europe. You can dislike it, but it doesn't make it any less true/

The term isn't exactly true anymore though.Its been used for years and accepted in use because for a long while we were part of the UK, if Ireland was the dominant power in the group of islands the name would probably have been different. Our government doesn't recognise the term anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

As I'm bored right now I looked up what the home nations are.

According to Wikipedia it's the UK nations of the British isles. However in some sports contexts it includes RoI simply on the grounds that for that particular sport there may be an all Ireland governing body or team.

But it's obviously a very loose defintion to begin with. Hardly something that's written into international law or the UN charta or so.

So in football Ireland is not a home nation but in rugby it is. There you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I find this terminology or 'Home Nation' and 'British Isles' to come from a British viewpoint that seem to think that Ireland is not really a separate country and would also think Irish people would view it differently.

I certainly don't think that Ireland (as in The Republic) is a 'Home Nation' and itvshould not be referred to it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

BBC always exclude ROI when on about the Home Nations.

Vauxhall in their sponsorship explicitly state that they sponsor 'Home Nations Football'.

A phrase which would not be used if ROI were truly seen as a Home Nation.

resize_then_crop_680_450.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BBC always exclude ROI when on about the Home Nations.

Vauxhall in their sponsorship explicitly state that they sponsor 'Home Nations Football'.

A phrase which would not be used if ROI were truly seen as a Home Nation.

Vauxhall not being sold here would be another reason, as GM use Opel here.

This thread is definitely going to go off topic and get locked isn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

For the sake of a hypothetical discussion about football, does it really matter what the definition of the home nations means? Can people not discuss football without the pc brigade sticking their nose in and trying to find something to be offended by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

International teams, even the good ones, would finish below the vast majority of clubs right the way down to championship level for an abundance of reasons

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    International teams, even the good ones, would finish below the vast majority of clubs right the way down to championship level for an abundance of reasons

It'd be interesting to see though if there was an English club where all the top English players were and the impact it would have on the International team with them playing together every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I laugh when people get their nose out of joint when Ireland is referred to as a home nation and then have a long debate about man utd v Liverpool.

considering the amount of interest in the premier league in this country I'm not surprised that we are called a home nation.

jamesbere wrote: »
    I laugh when people get their nose out of joint when Ireland is referred to as a home nation and then have a long debate about man utd v Liverpool.

considering the amount of interest in the premier league in this country I'm not surprised that we are called a home nation.

You re spot on. Sport has nothing to do with politics. I d love a 5 way home nations tournament with us and the other 4 . Would be much more interesting than playing friendlies against the likes of Greece or Norway. Just because someone includes us with the home nations doesn't mean we have to start singing god save the queen and using sterling! I go to Manchester regularly and have made some great mates who live over there and nationality doesn't come into it when we re talking football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

n32 wrote: »
    You re spot on. Sport has nothing to do with politics. I d love a 5 way home nations tournament with us and the other 4 . Would be much more interesting than playing friendlies against the likes of Greece or Norway. Just because someone includes us with the home nations doesn't mean we have to start singing god save the queen and using sterling! I go to Manchester regularly and have made some great mates who live over there and nationality doesn't come into it when we re talking football

That kind of tournament would be great, but you can see a small minority ruining for the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It'd be interesting to see though if there was an English club where all the top English players were and the impact it would have on the International team with them playing together every week.

Absolutely. They'd be a lot better. That's why international managers like to pick club teammates in the spine if possible... They have the benefit of playing together every week

Quazzie wrote: »
    Thread might work out ok if people like the above would let it run it's course instead of sticking their nose in with pointless posts.

I think Republic of Ireland would be relegated, but I think England would struggle to make Europe.

Didn't realise you were modding the thread.

My post wasn't pointless at all, I was trying to highlight the relatively futile nature of the premise, pondering how an international side would fare in a particular club league.

• Advertisement

That kind of tournament would be great, but you can see a small minority ruining for the rest

They did that already (just without england) and it wasn't exactly a huge success

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nations_Cup_(football)

They did that already (just without england) and it wasn't exactly a huge success

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nations_Cup_(football)

I think the only way to make it a success would be to include England and you would guarantee Ireland, NI, Scotland and Wales would fill their grounds for games v England. To have a 5 team tournament every second year would be a great success and would be invaluable for players breaking into the teams to experience a type of tournament football before getting to a WC or Euros

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

England would be a Uefa team imho like Spurs, they couldnt compete with Chelsea / City, I'd also Rate Utd & Arsenal ahead of them but after that they would be right in there with the best of the rest.

Wales beyond Bale & Ramsey aren't all that but if they avoided injuries they might just survive like a West Brom

Ireland would stay up but do little of note perhaps like Villa

I've grown board of this already so ill just liken Scotland to Sunderland

tbh I dont think much separates Wales, Ireland & Scotland, N.Ireland though are going back down to the championship where they will fit in a bit better, like well any of this years promoted teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Don't know why people are so hung up on the Home Nations tag. The question is simply how would ROI, NI, Scotland, England and Wales get on the PL. Why argue about the 'Home Nations' term instead of actually answering the question.

Personally I think England would do quite well because they would benefit more than most international teams from playing football week in week out. If you look at their starting eleven the vast majority of their players will play for a top club. If you count players who have retired from international football but still play in the Premier League you'd have at least 2 Chelsea players, 2 or 3 City players, 2 or 3 from Arsenal, a couple from United and another 2 or 3 from Liverpool. I reckon if they were playing every week together in the league they'd finish at least top 4.
    I think Bale and Ramsey could help Wales avoid the drop, maybe finish mid table. The likes of Ireland, Scotland and Northern Ireland would need some of that oil money and a few dodgy passports to survive the relegation battle.

Seen as you quoted me I'll just respond by saying I'll never ever get my nose out of joint when it comes to United vs Liverpool. That fixture is an absolute chore to be around in this country. Only today was I asked if I was a Scouser or Manc. I replied that I was neither, that I'm a Dub. I don't mind lads that follow either team, just hate the way some choose the patriotic/anti-British card when it suits them and then go on as if they're from the North West corner of England come Super Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

That kind of tournament would be great

England would win it, every time. Then we'd have to see it all over the papers, it would be horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Better off for Ireland to get matches against other teams with different styles , rather than playing the British teams and NI.

Must of the Irish team are based in England anyways with their clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

For the sake of a hypothetical discussion about football, does it really matter what the definition of the home nations means? Can people not discuss football without the pc brigade sticking their nose in and trying to find something to be offended by?

There is nothing PC brigade about getting annoyed when someone casually lumps the Republic into what is a term that normally refers to the countries under the British flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

What?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying people who are offended by terms such as 'Home Nations' and 'British Isles' are part of a political correctness brigade? How does objecting to the politically correct term make you a member of the PC brigade?

Nonsense point, forgive me for being pedantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I can't believe people being so pedantic about the 'home nations' term. How about we make it the European English speaking nations then? Would that suit all? We play in a Nation's cup with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

FFS, can we not have a chat about someting without all this we are Irish not part of the UK stuff?

All we are doing is having a chat about a couple of countries in a small little part of the world. They all speak the one language and there is one league where all the best players play in. Everybody knows what it's about, its not meant to be a slight on any nation just someting to have a chat about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Yeah, anyway... we wouldn't last more than a single season with our current squad. Even if we somehow managed to field our first choice XI every week - we'd still struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Exactly.

The OP on the Redcafe site even says they they are only including ROI because tjete are a lot of ROI posters on the site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A Irish team under O Neill would be relegated tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

A Irish team under O Neill would be relegated tbh.

You dont know that tbh

Advertisement