Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel: some rows are giant!

• 08-02-2015 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi All!
    I have an Excel worksheet with about 1500 rows of entries.
    All the rows have the same height (14.25), but among them I have found rows of an extraordinary height, one is 20 pages high, and I can't find a way to delete it.
    The row before one of these rows is fine, as it is the row after it, I cannot see what's in this strange row because when I scroll the page it jumps to the next valid row. In the print preview I see 20 pages filled by just one huge cell.
    I searched the web but I I haven't found any good tip...
    So, first of all, why are there those rows, secondly, how can I get rid of them once for all?
    I use Win 7 HP, Excel 2010.
    Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Happens me the odd time, I just copy the format down from a row with the correct height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

It doesn't seem to work.
    I have selected the row before and tried to pull it down to the strange row, but nothing happens.
    The huge row isn't numbered but it seems to contain 10 rows, the row before is 616, the following is 625, and it seems to contain the same data as the row before, but actually it's empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Select all rows from the margin and then resize one you can see properly.

All rows should then resize to that same height.

No, it didn't work either :(:(:(
    And as I scroll the worksheet up and down the strange rows seem to increase in number! :(
    I just realized that some of these cells contain data that I don't see elsewhere, so I fear that if I delete them, I will lose the data in those cell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Select any cell in the row - right click, select delete, click radio button for "Entire Row" - Voila! Row deleted.
    or
    Select top left box (to the left of column header "A" and above row header "1" - that selects the whole sheet. Goto Format, Row Height and enter desired row height in dialog box - all rows should now be same height.
    or
    Zoom out until you can obviously see the errant row. Place cursor on bottom of row header until it changes to a + with arrow heads top and bottom, left click hold and move up to adjust row height to suit.

• Advertisement

The huge row isn't numbered but it seems to contain 10 rows, the row before is 616, the following is 625,...
    ...And as I scroll the worksheet up and down the strange rows seem to increase in number!...
    Have you "Spilt" the screen/sheet at Row 616 by any chance?:confused:

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Select any cell in the row - right click, select delete, click radio button for "Entire Row" - Voila! Row deleted.
    or
    Select top left box (to the left of column header "A" and above row header "1" - that selects the whole sheet. Goto Format, Row Height and enter desired row height in dialog box - all rows should now be same height.
    or
    Zoom out until you can obviously see the errant row. Place cursor on bottom of row header until it changes to a + with arrow heads top and bottom, left click hold and move up to adjust row height to suit.

None of them worked, but I used a mix of them all.
    I zoomed out (30%) to see the crazy rows in their entirety, then I selected one row at the time and resized them to 14.25. Their height was 410 !
    Any idea why it happened?
    Now I think that in the attempt to remove the crazy rows I have deleted rows with important data in them :confused:

Have you "Spilt" the screen/sheet at Row 616 by any chance?:confused:

What do you mean?
    I remember that the last time I worked on this worksheet it was alright.

What do you mean?
    2njvk9t.jpg

If you have been able to resize the rows then it probably isn't because of split...

If you have not saved since opening today you could just close without saving, and lose all the changes- good and bad made today!

If you have been able to resize the rows then it probably isn't because of split...

No, I never did such a thing :)
    If you have not saved since opening today you could just close without saving, and lose all the changes- good and bad made today!

Unfortunately I have saved the file twice since opening today...
    This worksheet was the union of three different files with same cell format but different data.
    Well, it means that I have to merge the three files and start all over again :)

Well, at least now I know what to do and what not to do if this happens again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

This happens me in Excel 2010, usually when I am copying and pasting rows into another sheet. The rows are usually blank, so I just end up deleting all the rows, pain in the neck.

See here, wonder is it a bug in Excel? https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/47740b73-9e06-442b-94af-5fbac0956add/excel-row-height-changes-when-it-should-not-change?forum=excel

This might apply to you with merged docs http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-excel/excel-2010-seems-to-be-randomly-increasing-row/e30abc96-9401-444c-adfd-e2d0b960687e

sassyj wrote: »
    This happens me in Excel 2010, usually when I am copying and pasting rows into another sheet. The rows are usually blank, so I just end up deleting all the rows, pain in the neck.

See here, wonder is it a bug in Excel? https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/47740b73-9e06-442b-94af-5fbac0956add/excel-row-height-changes-when-it-should-not-change?forum=excel

This might apply to you with merged docs http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-excel/excel-2010-seems-to-be-randomly-increasing-row/e30abc96-9401-444c-adfd-e2d0b960687e

Yes, those links are on the spot. I'm working on a worksheet that is the merging of three files from a previous version of Excel (they are .xls and now I'm working on a .xlsx).
    Well, that has been a very useful experience, hasn't it?

Advertisement