Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Relegation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Great win for burnley. Have given themselves a chance to stay up now. They have a fairly limited bunch of players but are probably the fittest team in the league and have a great attitude which is what is giving them a fighting chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fantastic wins for both Burnley and Villa today. It really looks to be a straight shootout between Sunderland and the current bottom 3 now, though the bookies feel Hull are right in the mix too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Patser

QPR
    Said it already Hull's run in is terrible - lots of top teams. Their failure to get full points against Leicester will haunt them.

Sunderland's run in is much nicer but the team and manager look beaten. A new manager is a risk but something has to change, and with an international break coming up that's the time for him to settle.

Leicester are now effectively gone. 7 points off safety with too few games left. Hull today down to 10 men was their chance. QPR also looking beaten.

I'd say it's Leicester, QPR and Hull - with Sunderland and Burnley scraping by but it'll still be close.

Patser wrote: »
    Said it already Hull's run in is terrible - lots of top teams. Their failure to get full points against Leicester will haunt them.

Sunderland's run in is much nicer but the team and manager look beaten. A new manager is a risk but something has to change, and with an international break coming up that's the time for him to settle.

Leicester are now effectively gone. 7 points off safety with too few games left. Hull today down to 10 men was their chance. QPR also looking beaten.

I'd say it's Leicester, QPR and Hull - with Sunderland and Burnley scraping by but it'll still be close.

The only way Sunderland are staying up is if they recruit a new manager ASAP and get a bit of a reaction. West Ham (A), Palace (H), Newcastle (H), Stoke (A), Southampton (H) are our next 5 games. There's enough points to play for there but the club simply won't win another game under Poyet, just as they weren't going to win another game under O'Neill this time in 2013.

There literally is not one available candidate who is 1) any good and 2) would touch Sunderland with a bargepole considering their current position, so Ellis Short is really going to have to pull a rabbit out of his hat. A Paolo Di Canio type appointment but then remembering to actually sack him at the end of the season once he has served his purpose would seem the way it's going to have to be. The ideal scenario would then be Allardyce being available and appointed if safety is secured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Leicester
    Paully D wrote: »
    The only way Sunderland are staying up is if they recruit a new manager ASAP and get a bit of a reaction.

Praying for that bet to come in ey Paully D :pac:

No change at the bottom at all today with Sunderland, Villa, Burnley and Leicester all losing. Big chance for QPR (at home to Everton) and Hull (at home to Chelsea) tomorrow to make gains before the international break.

c03c6c8ffe871bc192163696e384ac36.png

No one took advantage this weekend. Of all the teams in serious trouble, none took even a point.

QPR
    Everton made sure though. It was always unlikely but fairly guaranteed safety now.

Mind you of all the teams in trouble - exception being Burnley - had close losses, only by 1 goal and nearly all late losers.

Massive pressure on Sunderland (at home to Newcastle) and Burnley (at home to Spurs) tomorrow with the QPR and to a lesser extent, Leicester wins. Hull and Villa lose to Swansea and Manchester United respectively.

1621990f7663838c75075ee0a29407eb.png

• Advertisement

Sunderland beat Newcastle 1-0 and Burnley draw 0-0 with Spurs. Table now looks like the below:

523b4c9f523131e24e36fd1d0a31841b.png

Fixtures for next gameweek (Villa host QPR on Tuesday):

Sunderland v Crystal Palace
    QPR v Chelsea
    Burnley v Arsenal
    West Brom v Leicester
    Southampton v Hull
    Spurs v Villa

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I think that'll be the same bottom 3 come the last day of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

sabat wrote: »

Me too, but Tuesday's game is clearly huge. A QPR win might change my opinion on that.

sabat wrote: »

I think one of the bottom 3 will get out of it hopefully burnley and hull will go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Hull do have some seriously grim fixtures alright.

Villa 3-3 QPR. A result which fans of every team down there fighting will be happy with. A QPR win would have been a disaster for those teams.

026981f4819dba09e3723e5669dc97c9.png

• Advertisement

35 pts should guarantee safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Didn't realise there was a match tonight, sounded like a great game to

That's Sunderland down anyway. No chance a team comes back from another home hammering like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Big 3 points for Villa.

zerks wrote: »
    Big 3 points for Villa.

and leicester

• Advertisement

QPR
    That's Sunderland down anyway. No chance a team comes back from another home hammering like that.

Paully I still think ye will scrape it, I still think it's between Hull, QPR, Leicester and Burnley (most likely to survive IMO)

QPR
    And since they've been dragged into it slightly, West Brom's run in is terrible. Palace, Pool, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Newcastle. They'll probably be safe with the points they have but any wins for teams below them will throw massive pressure on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Leicester
    Down to 5 teams now I think. Burnley will do it imo but i wouldnt like to call the other team that stays up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hull to go down, Bruce is a dreadful manager considering Hull have one of the better squads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Fair play to Leicester-just a fortnight ago they looked by far the likeliest of all the stragglers to go down but with Hull's horrible fixtures I'd now have them as favourites to make 17th.

QPR
    Burnley at home to Leicester next week. That'll almost certainly relegate the loser.

Sunderland are gone for certain. The question is now who will take the last two spots.

QPR
    No you're not Paully. Still 6 in the mix, although us
    Villa fans are feeling slightly more confident. Burnley look to be in most serious trouble, and QPR. That leaves a fight between Sunderland, Leicester (on a roll) and Hull with their terrible run in for last spot.

So 1 in 3 chance, and of those 3, Sunderland have to most points on the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Leicester
    Wow Leicester have really come out swinging. I would have put the house on them being relegated a month ago. Fair play.

Patser wrote: »
    No you're not Paully. Still 6 in the mix, although us
    Villa fans are feeling slightly more confident. Burnley look to be in most serious trouble, and QPR. That leaves a fight between Sunderland, Leicester (on a roll) and Hull with their terrible run in for last spot.

So 1 in 3 chance, and of those 3, Sunderland have to most points on the board.

Sunderland essentially have 4 games left as they go to Arsenal and Chelsea in their last two. The other games are Stoke (A), Southampton (H), Everton (A), Leicester (H). 4 points there at the very most (which is being generous in all honesty) which will equal relegation.

• Advertisement

QPR
    By that logic Hull have only 2 games left.

And Burnley are bottom after 1 win in 11. Who'd they beat. City!!!

Crazy day at the bottom.

Burnley miss a penalty and Leicester go straight up the other end to score what turns out to be the winning goal. Sunderland go 1-0 up against Stoke after 40 seconds, proceed to get battered for the next 45 as Stoke equalise, then Sunderland miss literally 4 absolutely superb chances via Wickham, Defoe x 2 and Billy Jones in the second half. Hull go away to Palace and win 2-0. QPR miss a penalty at home to West Ham and draw 0-0 leaving the table looking like the below:

358000f1c47f351b6b65d10e72cbf197.png

Time to start planning for the Championship for the 3 in the bottom now IMO. I can't see any of them getting out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Everton
    Crazy day at the bottom.

Burnley miss a penalty and Leicester go straight up the other end to score what turns out to be the winning goal. Sunderland go 1-0 up against Stoke after 40 seconds, proceed to get battered for the next 45 as Stoke equalise, then Sunderland miss literally 4 absolutely superb chances via Wickham, Defoe x 2 and Billy Jones in the second half. Hull go away to Palace and win 2-0. QPR miss a penalty at home to West Ham and draw 0-0 leaving the table looking like the below:

358000f1c47f351b6b65d10e72cbf197.png

Time to start planning for the Championship for the 3 in the bottom now IMO. I can't see any of them getting out.

If any of those 3 can get results Newcastle would go. Absolutely woeful. They need those 3 to stay ****e or they will be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Leicester
    Loving Leicester's run. Some heart in that side.

I cant believe ings didn't take the peno for burnley. Some momentum shift in 60 Seconds in that game. Burnley and qpr gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Everton
    Newcastle in freefall.

If any of those 3 can get results Newcastle would go. Absolutely woeful. They need those 3 to stay ****e or they will be gone.

I said the same thing to a mate earlier, but realistically they could not pick up another point this season and still stay up. There's just no way one of Sunderland, QPR or Burnley will pick up 6, 9 and 10 points respectively to jump ahead of them.

Everton
    I said the same thing to a mate earlier, but realistically they could not pick up another point this season and still stay up. There's just no way one of Sunderland, QPR or Burnley will pick up 6, 9 and 10 points respectively to jump ahead of them.

True but if it happens Newcastle are gone. They will only survive because theres slightly worse.

QPR
    Looks like I'll be wrong about Hull.

Huge result for them tonight, now 4 points above relegation zone with 4 games to play.

• Advertisement

Leicester
    One of Villa or Sunderland. Villa look the far better team at the moment though.

The 3 down there are gone. It's over.

QPR
    Leicester v Sunderland to decide it I reckon.

Villa, Hull and Newcastle still nervous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Wouldn't be surprised to see Leicester rest some players tonight and give us a good going over on Saturday.

Leicester done and dusted after 20 minutes against Newcastle which makes it 5 wins in 6. They've also still got QPR to play at home and Sunderland away.

Fair play to them, the run they've put together they deserve to stay up.

Everton
    Newcastle are so laughably bloody hopeless.

• Advertisement

Leicester
    Newcastle might just lose every game left. Hope for all the others.

Everton
    You can't help but say if Pardew wasn't hounded out by the fans, they might not be in this position.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Newcastle might just lose every game left. Hope for all the others.

They might and they still wouldn't go down. Burnley and QPR have no chance of catching them and it's almost impossible to see Sunderland getting the 5 points needed in that situation.

Everton
    They might and they still wouldn't go down. Burnley and QPR have no chance of catching them and it's almost impossible to see Sunderland getting the 5 points needed in that situation.

Points are not impossible, in the next three games. But the last two... Good luck!

Leicester

Agreed,Burnley and QPR are finished but ye have came good when ye have needed to in recent seasons though. I think ye have a great chance today against the Saints. They are struggling on the road recently. 3 points today will be massive!

• Advertisement
Advertisement