Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Relegation Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Leicester
    Saipanne wrote: »
    If Newcastle stay up their real fans will have Alan Pardew to thank.

If you posted about things other than this 1 particular subject I think people would take your opinion far more seriously (I mean maybe you do but I dont support Newcastle and new what was going to be posted the second I saw you were the one replying). Think people get your point already. They were not impressive by all accounts but I think a point might actually be a massive result today in terms of them staying up.

Would like to think minus Ings most of that Burnley side will stay together and maybe they can even use some of the money being in the prem earned them to replace him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

Saipanne wrote: »
    If Newcastle stay up their real fans will have Alan Pardew to thank.

Ah come on ! you can do better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Hull are gone you would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Johner wrote: »
    Hull are gone you would think.

Spurs seem to be doing all they can to avoid getting the Europa League spot. Their form over the last 6 games is relegation form and worse than only Burnley, Southampton (ironically another side in EL contention) and Newcastle. They could easily roll over.

Graphic from Match of the Day including transfer fees spent this season:

CEmUQ_aWMAIVoNR.jpg:large

Remaining fixtures:

CEoYra_WEAAVSdf.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Leicester
    Didn't realise Hull City has spent quite so much. They really look like toast (with Sunderland as next most likely) unless there is a shocking roll over from Spurs and Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Leicester
    Didn't realise Hull City has spent quite so much. They really look like toast (with Sunderland as next worst) unless there is a shocking roll over from Spurs and Utd.

If Liverpool lose today United are on holidays, and Spurs already look like they are, so you never know.

Didn't realise Hull City has spent quite so much. They really look like toast (with Sunderland as next most likely) unless there is a shocking roll over from Spurs and Utd.

Over £65m spent by Bruce at Hull in the last two seasons. They finished 16th on 37 points last season and are in serious danger of dropping this season, yet not one bit of acknowledgement from the media of how poor a job he has done because he's mates with most of the writers. But hey, at least he reached an FA Cup final last year :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

QPR losing 1-0. Really hoping that Man City trounce them today before we play them next week.

Leicester
    QPR are just a bunch of mercenaries plus Charlie Austin really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Paully D wrote: »
    Over £65m spent by Bruce at Hull in the last two seasons. They finished 16th on 37 points last season and are in serious danger of dropping this season, yet not one bit of acknowledgement from the media of how poor a job he has done because he's mates with most of the writers. But hey, at least he reached an FA Cup final last year :rolleyes:

It will be a massive failure if they go and should severely damage Bruce's rep.
    How can someone spend 65m and still regularly play Mcshane?

Leicester

meanwhile the great job being done by Mark Hughes at Stoke is almost entirely overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Patser

QPR
    Hard to see QPR coming back now.

They've 4 minutes to score 7 goals.

I'd say they're probably gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Leicester
    Sunderland v Leicester
    Spurs v Hull

Next weeks fixtures, its looking very likely Hull are gone as theyve to play Utd after Spurs and theyre 2 points behind those above them.

Although Sunderland are away to Chelsea on the last day so if Hull pull something off against Spurs it will make the last day some what interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Listening to BBC 5 live.

"I think we're all in agreement that Steve Bruce has just been quite unlucky. I mean he's got them to an FA Cup final and if you wanted any manager to keep a team in the Premier League, it'd be Steve Bruce. Any dealing we've had with him, he's come across as a really nice fella"

Talking out their collective arses.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Sunderland v Leicester
    Spurs v Hull

Next weeks fixtures, its looking very likely Hull are gone as theyve to play Utd after Spurs and theyre 2 points behind those above them.

Although Sunderland are away to Chelsea on the last day so if Hull pull something off against Spurs it will make the last day some what interesting.

Hull will take at least a point from a Spurs side who have packed up and gone on holidays.

QPR
    SSN had an interesting stat up yesterday. Hull have never won a premier league game in May. Not a great tradition to have in their current predicament

Southampton battering Villa puts them 2 points ahead of Spurs in the "race" for the final Europa League spot. Not good news for those teams down at the bottom hoping for a Spurs performance today, as it seems they're all but too happy to avoid the Europa League next season. I could see Spurs rolling over.

Leicester
    Villa are very lucky that Hull are in turmoil with the cocaine bust and that they have two tricky games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Villa are very lucky that Hull are in turmoil with the cocaine bust and that they have two tricky games.

sensationalism at its finest

QPR
    Hull losing....

Serious problems if they don't get back.

Patser wrote: »
    Hull losing....

Serious problems if they don't get back.

Go on Spurs. Scoring while barely caring.

QPR
    QPR equaliser with Newcastle. Newcastle no longer safe.

QPR
    Spurs 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Everton
    QPR equaliser with Newcastle. Newcastle no longer safe.

Hull would want to get their act together.

QPR
    QPR 2 Newcastle 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Everton
    Jesus. Both teams trying their utmost to get relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A Hull draw would have kept it interesting on the last day. A draw against Utd might well have kept them up. Cant see them winning it.

Leicester
    Leicester City are safe. Well done to them.

• Advertisement

Joke of a performance from Sunderland. Leicester happy with a point from the 60th minute and we offered nothing going forward, blowing a huge chance to get safe. Clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Leicester City are safe. Well done to them.

Ya they played with spirit and fight throughout the season didn't really get the results but ground it out in the end.

Villa safe. It's 1 from 3 now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

QPR 2 Newcastle 1

I wonder how far down the pyramid you'd have to go for Newcastle to beat someone right now...Newcastle v Blackpool maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Everton
    They should relegate four teams this season because we have no right to be in the EPL next season.

We were better with Kinnear in charge for Christ's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Hull are all but gone. The bottom half of the league is really very poor considering all the TV money there is now. Newcastle, Sunderland, QPR, Hull, Villa...all very lackluster and lacking in real quality.

Sunderland are particularly poor in my mind because they've had like four managers now who brought in around 14 players each or some crazy number and it's just been a complete waste of their time.

Ready for three months of solid transfer rumours now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Leicester
    dfx- wrote: »
    I wonder how far down the pyramid you'd have to go for Newcastle to beat someone right now...Newcastle v Blackpool maybe?

Don't insult Blackpool :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

A Hull win/Castle draw would send Castle down ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ebbsy wrote: »
    A Hull win/Castle draw would send Castle down ?

Yea, Newcastle goal difference is -25, compared to Hull -19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

An arsenal win on Wednesday is what hull badly need. Means utd are out of the race for 3rd so might be a bit more disinterested on Sunday and it keeps Sunderland in trouble.

Hard to see Sunderland and newcastle both getting something so beating utd should be enough to keep hull up.

Not that I think hull will beat utd though but at least we can pretend something is still up for grabs

Sunderland certainly won't be taking the point they need from either of those games and their goal difference may actually take enough of a hit that a point for Newcastle could be enough for safety.

One thing is for sure, Hull would have taken having a win or bust situation at home to Manchester United at 3pm yesterday. To be honest I think they'll do it as United will be on holidays once Arsenal beat Sunderland on Wednesday. From what I saw of the game against Spurs they were extremely unlucky not to take something and should have been at least 2 up by half time. Newcastle to draw with West Ham on the final day and Sunderland to go down by virtue of goal difference with the hammerings at the hands of Southampton, Villa and Palace to come back to haunt them.

Then again Sunderland are 11/1 to down and Hull 1/6 so what do I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Hull are all but gone. The bottom half of the league is really very poor considering all the TV money there is now. Newcastle, Sunderland, QPR, Hull, Villa...all very lackluster and lacking in real quality.

Sunderland are particularly poor in my mind because they've had like four managers now who brought in around 14 players each or some crazy number and it's just been a complete waste of their time.

Ready for three months of solid transfer rumours now.
    Villa can be okay-ish on their day. Have to agree with you on the others though. They really are very poor.

And Burnley, who we only took 1 point off this season!
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sunderland certainly won't be taking the point they need from either of those games and their goal difference may actually take enough of a hit that a point for Newcastle could be enough for safety.

One thing is for sure, Hull would have taken having a win or bust situation at home to Manchester United at 3pm yesterday. To be honest I think they'll do it as United will be on holidays once Arsenal beat Sunderland on Wednesday. From what I saw of the game against Spurs they were extremely unlucky not to take something and should have been at least 2 up by half time. Newcastle to draw with West Ham on the final day and Sunderland to go down by virtue of goal difference with the hammerings at the hands of Southampton, Villa and Palace to come back to haunt them.

Then again Sunderland are 11/1 to down and Hull 1/6 so what do I know.

Have to say Paully, your brutal honesty and pessimism is a refreshing change from all the cock waving that goes on in other threads, but jesus I really want Sunderland to stay up so you can have at least 1 day of joy this season :P:pac:

QPR
    Chelsea 2 down to West Brom - looking to be in on the beach mode already - you'll be sorted Paully, sure all ye need is a draw.

Never doubted us for a second! :pac:

• Advertisement

QPR

Was half expecting you to show some sort of mathematical scenario, that would make Stephen Hawking proud, as to how ye were still doomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Don't get too far ahead of yourself,

Not beyond the realms of possibilty that they could still go down, best to just wait until after Sunday's game.

I remember another North East club getting a 3pt deduction for not fulfilling a fixture, just hope they don't celebrate too much tonight :pac:

I am going to drink a ridiculous amount of beer and eat my own body weight in fast food on Sunday while watching the relegation battle. It'll be nice to actually be able to relax and enjoy one week this season even if it is the last one! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

So then, it all comes down to Newcastle or Hull for the final relegation spot.

Newcastle v West Ham
    Hull v Manchester United

bd8891195f1fba6966000feeb96e721d.png

Scenarios are pretty obvious as per the table above, but mainly:

- Hull have to win to have any chance of survival

- If Hull win and Newcastle lose or draw, Hull survive and Newcastle go down

- If Newcastle win, they're safe regardless of what Hull do

• Advertisement
Advertisement