Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multirotor UBEC Question

Options
  • 08-02-2015 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm currently building a multirotor, I have a 6-12s UBEC, is it possible to use that on a 4S battery?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Have you got the specs for the UBEC handy?

6-12s ubec sounds like a monster for a multicopter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

Here's the UBEC:
    http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29778__Hobbyking_7A_5_5V_High_Voltage_Input_UBEC_23_45V_.html

I don't know that much about multirotors, just starting out. I gave hobbyking a list of parts and they recommended me to get that one. Now that I know a little more about them and I have all the parts I'm wondering if that will work with the batteries I have which are 4S batteries.

Thanks

it might do, though its hard to tell from the spec sheet, depends on the switching circuit in use - mightnt be able to go as low as 14.8v (4s)

The other side of this is I can't for the life of me figure what would need such a massive BEC on a multirotor. Even if it works on 4s it's probably going to be way heavier than needed. What are you planning to run off it? Might be able to suggest an alternative.

This is my favourite BEC on Hobbyking, and even it is bigger than most jobs require.

Post up your list of parts if you like?

I already bought most of the parts, waiting on the ESC's to arrive before I start building. As far as I know the only thing I'm going to run off it is the APM 2.5 Ardupilot, I don't see anything else that needs that voltage at the moment. I have the UBEC in front of me here and it doesn't weigh that much. Thanks for the help. I was more nervous of plugging it in and a capacitor blowing or something, that's why I asked the question.

Unless the escs are opto , they already have a built in bec thatbwould have plenty of power for an apm (needs less than 1amp. If you're using the apm power module for current sensing that also has a built in bec.
    A 7.5 amp bec is overkill for just running a flight controller,
    kevc2 wrote: »
    I already bought most of the parts, waiting on the ESC's to arrive before I start building. As far as I know the only thing I'm going to run off it is the APM 2.5 Ardupilot, I don't see anything else that needs that voltage at the moment. I have the UBEC in front of me here and it doesn't weigh that much. Thanks for the help. I was more nervous of plugging it in and a capacitor blowing or something, that's why I asked the question.

• Advertisement

civdef wrote: »
    Unless the escs are opto , they already have a built in bec thatbwould have plenty of power for an apm (needs less than 1amp. If you're using the apm power module for current sensing that also has a built in bec.
    A 7.5 amp bec is overkill for just running a flight controller,

Thanks, I never thought of that. If I run the APM from one of the ESC's and it fails then the octocopter would be dead though. I have to figure out a way to build in some redundancy.

That's true, though if your BEC fails it'll be just as dead, and you've added an additional component so probably increased the odds of any failure happening. The key is to use proven components with a track record of performance.

Admittedly, the story is a bit different in an octo, which can sustain a single esc failing - something that would probably bring down a hex and definitely crash a quad or a tri, on those models it's less of a decision.

I'm a big fan of the APM power module - as I find the current sensing capability very handy for working out endurance and efficiency with different props and motors.

You can also get power distribution boards with built in BECs, which are handy for tidy builds.

I'll say one thing - you're certainly ambitious, chosing APM and an octocopter starting out with multis - what frame are you using?

That's true, though if your BEC fails it'll be just as dead, and you've added an additional component so probably increased the odds of any failure happening. The key is to use proven components with a track record of performance.

Admittedly, the story is a bit different in an octo, which can sustain a single esc failing - something that would probably bring down a hex and definitely crash a quad or a tri, on those models it's less of a decision.

I'm a big fan of the APM power module - as I find the current sensing capability very handy for working out endurance and efficiency with different props and motors.

You can also get power distribution boards with built in BECs, which are handy for tidy builds.

I'll say one thing - you're certainly ambitious, chosing APM and an octocopter starting out with multis - what frame are you using?

I'm into photography and have a background in electronics so I thought I should build an octocopter, new hobby building it. I'm using this frame:
    http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__43140__Hobbyking_X930_Glass_Fiber_Octocopter_Frame_895mm_EU_Warehouse_.html

Is there anywhere easy to see the regulations about flying these?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 damned_junkie

kevc2 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere easy to see the regulations about flying these?

http://iflytechnology.com/rpas-information

tldr; if you want to get paid you need to do ground school and get yourself set up as an operator with the IAA.

(not shilling for these guys but I did their course a few months back it's quite good.)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

if you want to get paid you need to do ground school and get yourself set up as an operator with the IAA.

Just noticed the last paragraph on that page;
    If you intend to operate privately i.e. not for reward or consideration you will not require a permission to operate a UAV/RPAS. Please be aware that if you at any stage use the footage you capture on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and/or any other website it is classified as a commercial transaction and is subject to a commercial permission being required.

So they're trying to say that the footage of my house, my friends or any of the videos I've uploaded to YouTube, Bookface or even on my own website are commercial? Interesting to see how and who would police that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 damned_junkie

So they're trying to say that the footage of my house, my friends or any of the videos I've uploaded to YouTube, Bookface or even on my own website are commercial? Interesting to see how and who would police that one.

Yeah, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense but that's the position the IAA are currently taking. Given that the FAA and other aviation authorities seem to be coming around to a more lenient(sane?) attitude that might all change soon. But the current legislation is basically, if you take money or publish footage online in any fashion you're a commercial operator and need a license.

Advertisement