Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading, thoughts?

Options
  • 08-02-2015 1:20pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's been a while, and I'm slightly out of touch with the current offerings. I'm looking to get some feedback on an upgrade to my current system (Pheonom II X4 and HD 6870):

ZAX4VKl.png

PSU is a Corsair TX650, so I figure it should be able to handle the 290X. Was originally thinking of the GTX 970, but it seems like the 290X is a better choice for 1440p. I know the Acer isn't the best monitor, but for that price it looks decent enough.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

deconduo wrote: »
    It's been a while, and I'm slightly out of touch with the current offerings. I'm looking to get some feedback on an upgrade to my current system (Pheonom II X4 and HD 6870):

ZAX4VKl.png

PSU is a Corsair TX650, so I figure it should be able to handle the 290X. Was originally thinking of the GTX 970, but it seems like the 290X is a better choice for 1440p. I know the Acer isn't the best monitor, but for that price it looks decent enough.

Any thoughts?

Don't forget a cooler if you don't have one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Don't forget a cooler if you don't have one.

I've got a CM Hyper 212 so I should be good on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

deconduo wrote: »
    I've got a CM Hyper 212 so I should be good on that front.

Figured as much.

The Acer got some good reviews can't really argue with the price.

GeForce GTX 970 4K vs GTX 980/ R9 290/ 290X Benchmark Tests: http://youtu.be/6y_GEvObFRQ

I'm sure you are sick of benchmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Nice. Only thing that sticks out is that motherboard. There's next to no difference between motherboards these days (bar features, ports, etc. doesn't affect OCing at all), so maybe drop to the Pro4 if you don't plan on SLI/CF in the future.

Advertisement