Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Camera Vans

Options
  • 08-02-2015 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how long it takes to revieve your fine & points after getting caught by one of these vans?
    I reckon I got caught last night by one and I didnt notice it until I seen it in my mirror.

Also, will this affect my insurance? I know its 3 points for speeding but someone told me that you dont need to alert your insurance company until you get 4? Be great if anyone could clarify this?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I think it takes about two weeks. It will have a small effect on insurance but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I never told my insurance about 4 points I had because they didn't ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They have clauses in their policies around full disclosure and utmost good faith so the "they didn't ask me" line probably would cut much mustard with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Yeah I'd think it would be better off to let them know - if you are in a crash or any type of accident then the insurance company will look for any reason not to pay out.
    But of course, some companies say that you do not have to let them know unless you have 4 or more points!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think they apply additional loadings during the policy year for fresh penalty points but not telling them at the time of taking out a new policy or when renewing is a foolish game rather than an attempt at being clever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

but someone told me that you dont need to alert your insurance company until you get 4? Be great if anyone could clarify this?!

No, you have to declare it. Even if they don't ask explicitly. Its under the clause of withholding relevant information that pertains to your motoring history. Because if you crash or claim, they'll go looking and if an I isn't dotted or T crossed, they'll hang you out to dry. For the effect on your premium, probably nothing for less than 4 to 6 points, its not worth it in the long run. Your saving maybe €300 to be likely brought to court to 10 times that amount in the event of a problem. Seems like utter false economy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Does anyone know how long it takes to revieve your fine & points after getting caught by one of these vans?
    I reckon I got caught last night by one and I didnt notice it until I seen it in my mirror.

Also, will this affect my insurance? I know its 3 points for speeding but someone told me that you dont need to alert your insurance company until you get 4? Be great if anyone could clarify this?!

Regarding thinking you got caught for speeding. Wait and see. You would be amazed at the amount of times they are just getting set up.

Regarding the 4 penalty points , Full disclosure means you tell them everything.
    It used to be the case that up to 4 penalty points insurance companys didnt up the premium but at that they would still be notified of them

I had a van near me for a long time and observed it for a while one evening. I can categorically say they don't target groups of cars (i.e. They generally wait for a 'lull' and then target single / well spaced cars) and they are not always reading speed. In fact, I'd say they are actively reading 50% of the time they are actually there.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I had a van near me for a long time and observed it for a while one evening. I can categorically say they don't target groups of cars (i.e. They generally wait for a 'lull' and then target single / well spaced cars) and they are not always reading speed. In fact, I'd say they are actively reading 50% of the time they are actually there.

A friend said that he seen the van in this spot at 11pm. I was passing it at 1:30am and I was the only car on the stretch of road, so im presuming that I probably got caught!

And yes I agree with you about it actively reading only 50% of the time, a family member was also speeding past one and didnt see it until last second, was fully sure that he got caught but he still hasnt heard anything and it was 1 month ago now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I got pinged on a Saturday and had the letter the following Thursday so 5 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

I'm genuinely curious, as to how you managed to come to the conclusion that groups of cars aren't targeted.

Care to explain

pa990 wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious, as to how you managed to come to the conclusion that groups of cars aren't targeted.

Care to explain

A lab Spectrum Analyzer and some patience ;) I should add, this was on a dual lane road i.e. Its possible for cars to pass the van two-abreast. It was these groups and heavy flows of traffic that we found to be generally un-targeted. Which would make sense.

That said, its not a hard and fast rule. Rule of thumb at best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

How far from the van do they ping you, and is it from both directions?

How far from the van do they ping you, and is it from both directions?

Both directions, going towards and away from the rear doors of the van only, at a distance roughly 2.5 times the width of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I was going through the stretch southbound between Kilmacanogue Services and The Glen of the Downs (100kph before it gets to 80kph) and there were 2 steady full lanes going below the limit. I did notice a couple of flashes though, but I can't see how anyone was over the limit as we were in convoy

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

Both directions, going towards and away from the rear doors of the van only, at a distance roughly 2.5 times the width of the road.

2.5 times the width of the dual carraige road or normal one lane?

I was going through the stretch southbound between Kilmacanogue Services and The Glen of the Downs (100kph before it gets to 80kph) and there were 2 steady full lanes going below the limit. I did notice a couple of flashes though, but I can't see how anyone was over the limit as we were in convoy

They snap every car, but we observed long sections of cars passing and no active reading / snapping. Like I said, rule of thumb and just something we observed in one location. Not a hard and fast rule.
    dalalada wrote: »
    2.5 times the width of the dual carraige road or normal one lane?

I'd consider anything under 100m danger zone. Less than 50m, certainly.

Thanks everyone for the messages, arrived home from work today with 3 points & an €80 fine waiting for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

The vans in Ireland don't flash, there is a prism on the top right of the van that reflects the headlights of cars passing it that really gives the appearance of a flash.

I drive around the country quite a lot with work and was thinking that I haven't seen many Gatso's around like normal, but I'm seeing a lot more patrol cars and bikes!

novarock wrote: »
    I drive around the country quite a lot with work and was thinking that I haven't seen many Gatso's around like normal, but I'm seeing a lot more patrol cars and bikes!

In my local village there use to never be any speed cameras in operation, but over the last couple of months there has been an outburst of them! Even yesterday just after I recieved my notice I met an unmarked patrol car with the speed gun out the window just a 1 minute drive from my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

I notice a couple of unmarked speed camera vans lately. One in limerick and one in cork.one in limerick is high roof Ford transit.its white

Advertisement