Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importation of Knives

Options
  • 08-02-2015 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

A friend of mine is in America and I'm wondering if I could get him to bring me home a Ka-Bar Swabbie, on cargo. I know Knives are legal to bring home, but this is a real big Knife 18" in total. What do ye think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

In general terms, it is illegal to carry a knife. There is a defence of having lawful authority or good reason. A recreational purpose such as fishing might has been accepted by courts as a defence.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0012/print.html#sec9
    Possession of knives and other articles.

9.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (2), it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had the article with him for use at work or for a recreational purpose.

Other than the above law prohibiting possession of knives, I am not aware of a law restricting importation of knives, as such.

Advertisement