Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading electric radiators

Options
  • 08-02-2015 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Just purchased a holiday apartment, was looking at my list of renovations. The electric radiators are about 13 years old. Generally speaking, would it be worthwhile investing in new units from an efficiency and/or heat output perspective. Anything I should be specifically looking for in new rads?
    Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Are they storage heaters?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MrWatt

Just purchased a holiday apartment, was looking at my list of renovations. The electric radiators are about 13 years old. Generally speaking, would it be worthwhile investing in new units from an efficiency and/or heat output perspective. Anything I should be specifically looking for in new rads?
    Any help appreciated.

It would be, yes.

If the holiday home is in high use then you could improve both on efficiency and quality of heat perspective. If it's not, then from a a quality of heating perspective only as the savings from running costs while still there would be nothing to write home about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

if they are just panel heaters then nothing much has changed in 13 years

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

solargain wrote: »
    Are they storage heaters?
    yep' storage...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Sleveile

Had storage heaters 8 years ago, don't have them any more. Waste of time. No use what so ever,unless you're Dracula and sleep all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is there a wood/multi fuel stove in the property?

If yes then that is all you would use and if no I would highly recommend getting one.

The house I am renting has all electric heating panel and storage and we never use it only the stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

With a holiday home - the heat output mechanism isn't all that different from years ago.

what may be of use, especially considering it's a holiday home, would be something like a nest remote controller or climote, so that you can remotely signal it to heat up, before you arrive.

Also, for any rooms that have panel (instantaneous heaters) in room thermostats are a good idea to prevent overheating the space in use...

Advertisement