Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOC article re Mary and their fight for education

Options
  • 08-02-2015 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭

http://m.independent.ie/opinion/proudest-day-of-my-little-girls-life-was-ruined-for-us-30973227.html

I know the sindo get a lot of stick around here, but this article deserves a read.
    I never in my worst nightmares realised that parents of disabled children are humiliated to 'dumb down' their children so they will recieve any extra assistance outside of a teacher teaching 30 other children.

The article correctly makes the point that helping a child from the start possibly reduces the 'bill' over the childs lifetime as they will benifit from the early intervention.
    I'm heartbroken for any parents in such a position.

The system really is truly broken.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

You should see what you have to write to get the domicilary care allowance which is c€300 per MONTH

The hard facts are that you have to paint a horrific picture of your child to get any assistance in this country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

And if your child is outside 'the normal intelligence range' they will not get any help at secondary, so a child who takes a bit longer than most to 'get' concepts etc. won't get any extra help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

When you have a child with special needs everything is a fight unfortunately. I was surprised to read this because I would have thought for a child with Downs that it would be pretty straightforward. Things are getting better though, my kids have ASD and the difference in the attitude to my youngest compared to how things were with my oldest is incredible. Things have moved on a lot in terms of attitude, sadly the funding needed to help such children continues to be cut.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The new SEN model will wipe out with one fell sweep any gains to date in SEN provision.

Advertisement