Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Movies / Documentaries

• 08-02-2015 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

There's a long way to go to the new season so looking for recommendations to pass the time. I've probably seen most football movies, the good and bad, so any hidden gems? I've seen very few documentaries so where's a good place to start?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Whosthis wrote: »
    There's a long way to go to the new season so looking for recommendations to pass the time. I've probably seen most football movies, the good and bad, so any hidden gems? I've seen very few documentaries so where's a good place to start?

Espn 30 for 30 series would be worth checking out. Been a while since I seen them but remember the one on the 1983 Elway/Marino draft was excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Guffy

Whosthis wrote: »

Espn 30 for 30... the u was good. The u 2 not so much. A lot of them are available on us netflix or you tube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

30 for 30 is excellent. The best one is either the one about when the Colts did a runner from Baltimore. Or the Ghost of Ole Miss is good too.

'America's Game' - tells the background story of the Superbowl winning team of that year. I like the older ones better.

'A Football Life' is excellent. Tells the story of certain players and events in NFL history. All can be found on YouTube or Sky On Demand if you have that. There's also Superbowl Gold - classic SB's on the Sky OD too.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

i assume that you have watched hard knocks? love that show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

The best there never was and Undefeated are super.

Brian and the Boz, The U part 1, Youngstown boys and the a lesser extent Rand university are all very good.

It's basketball but 'Bad boys' is top notch and well worth watching as is 'Winning time- Reggis Miller vs the New york knicks'. I'd highly recommend both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,899 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

On the movies side of things. Rudy is a great one, so is Remember the Titans, Any Given Sunday and Friday Night Lights.

Friday Night Lights also was a tv show which I'd highly recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

eagle eye wrote: »
    On the movies side of things. Rudy is a great one, so is Remember the Titans, Any Given Sunday and Friday Night Lights.

Friday Night Lights also was a tv show which I'd highly recommend.

I would highly recommend this too. It can be as cheesy as hell but it really gets in on you. Plus some of the young ladies are very pleasing to the eye ;)

I would highly recommend this too. It can be as cheesy as hell but it really gets in on you. Plus some of the young ladies are very pleasing to the eye ;)

Oh I think if he sees Remember the Titans first, he will have cheese coming out his ears.

You may be a different colour, but Goddamit I love you bro.*

* May not be an actual line from that, or any film.

Oh I think if he sees Remember the Titans first, he will have cheese coming out his ears.

You may be a different colour, but Goddamit I love you bro.*

* May not be an actual line from that, or any film.

the whole
    they hated each other then shouted left side, strong side and then suddenly where best buds
    always annoyed me still love the film though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

They hated each other for no reason though, and once they found the mutual love and respect for the game and how close their value systems were it is kinda natural they would become close

Love that film

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Texas High School Football must have the best games in all of America. Nearly every game goes down to the last play...!!!

West Texas is where its at alright :)

I will take this thread as an opportunity to announce I am going back for a dose of Coach Taylor, its been too long since I had a re watch of FNL :)

kryogen wrote: »
    I will take this thread as an opportunity to announce I am going back for a dose of Coach Taylor, its been too long since I had a re watch of FNL :)

just started watching it for the first time only 4 episodes in and I'm already hooked cheers to whoever recommended it above iv lurked around it for a long time but never watched it

It gets pretty absorbing the further you go in to it alright

Texas Forever!

kryogen wrote: »
    It gets pretty absorbing the further you go in to it alright

Texas Forever!

the **** is with all the threesomes in this isn't it supposed to be high school also those ladies are not high school age or if they are I'm sure as **** glad I'm not single :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Thanks for the suggestions, just started the 83 draft 30 for 30, its on youtube.

Should keep me entertained for a while anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭tripperman

anyone seen draft day the film yet, is it any good? seen remeber the titans and replacements last week and trying find any given sunday aint seen it in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

tripperman wrote: »
    anyone seen draft day the film yet, is it any good? seen remeber the titans and replacements last week and trying find any given sunday aint seen it in a while

I enjoyed it - loved kinda experiencing the behind the scenes of the draft - questioning players abilities - worried about their off field troubles - talking to Owners - difficulties between owners, gms and coachs

Obviously you have to take any movie with a hollywood sized pinch of salt - but didnt think it was the worst movie in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭tripperman

I enjoyed it - loved kinda experiencing the behind the scenes of the draft - questioning players abilities - worried about their off field troubles - talking to Owners - difficulties between owners, gms and coachs

Obviously you have to take any movie with a hollywood sized pinch of salt - but didnt think it was the worst movie in the world!

cheers ill watch it the weekend, yeah i dont mind hollywood salt once i mite get a view of the behind the scenes draft build up and all that goes on,
    could be next idea for nfl follow a team during the build up to the draft and during it, like they do in pre season

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

As far as TV Shows go - Friday Night Lights is up there with the best of them.
    Blue Mountain State is a very good comedy about a high school team.
    The League is a great comedy around Fantasy Football, but they get some of the NFL players in doing guest appearances.

When The Game Stands Tall is a decent movie from a year or so ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

the original longest yard is a great movie, not just a great football movie. I also loved any given sunday but a lot of people don't rate it for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

BBC have a documentary on Green Bay late next Saturday night

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07w0tds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

The Four Falls of Buffalo was on ESPN recently, the story of the early 90's Buffalo Bills. Not sure if you can get it on demand, but if you can watch it any other way (!) it's well worth it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Falls_of_Buffalo

I always love seeing old footage, the tv and newspaper coverage at the time. It also explores the phenomenon of what being successful means. America has always put a premium on win or bust but, especially in this day and age, it seems all NFL players greatness is measured in "rings" and it's refreshing to see Buffalo celebrated for the achievement of getting to four straight Super Bowls. Maybe I feel a little sympathy as Denver had previously gotten to 3 out of 4 and got destroyed in each one (save the Giants game - that could have been so different but for a couple of plays!)

Great interviews with all the main players and coaches, Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith sit and watch the games, and give great insight (pull no punches either) about what went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

All good suggestions there. Any Given Sunday is criminally underrated in my opinion, for a realistic depiction of modern day NFL, with great performances to boot. Another underrated early 90's film is The Program. Basically a NCAAF version of Any Given Sunday, with James Caan in the Pacino role.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

If you watch the NFL Network on Gamepass you'll have seen Undrafted advertised starting next week. I seen all of last season & it's a great watch, probably better than Hard Knocks are you're dealing with college guys who don't have the big NFL egos yet! Excellent insight into how hard it is to make it. As of last year, you had to watch it whenever it was shown on NFL network as there wasn't a option to view whenever on Gamepass...used to be on 8am day after it was advertised. There's clips on Youtube but can't see full episodes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Last Chance U on Netflix is something I've started, documentry series following young players that go to a 3rd division Missisippi college team to get thier grades up and get their life together to get back into a bigger college.

Advertisement