Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food delivery business?

Options
  • 08-02-2015 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hello , what is needed to start a food delivery business one that delivers cooked dinners to the elderly and housebound daily . I will be cooking roasts and such dinners from my own kitchen so is public liability insurance needed , and does it cost to register with EHO registration ?

is any other certificates needed also thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Check out FSAI.ie (food businesses section), they have a page on this which will help you with everything you need to know. Doing it in your own kitchen will not be easy with HACCP requirements - best of luck though.

Also look at local Meals on Wheels charities who could be your competitor and might suggest that it is not such a lucrative business

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

If you plan on cooking meat from home, forget about it you will never get approved it needs to be a commercial kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

No cost to register with HSE, but you will need to follow HACCP programme.

Dunno about approval for cooking meats - best to ask the HSE environmental health person for your area. I find they are very helpful with enquiries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

OP, where do you think you can make money on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I'm not sure its a business idea, more a social enterprise start up if you can find a niche not covered by meals on wheels. Most Local Enterprise Offices are rolling out food academes, short courses for people thinking of start ups in the food sector, it might be worth contacting them for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Whatever about the HSE requirements which will be onerous if you are doing meat products you will need public liability & product insurance. As well as that your house insurer will need to be informed and most have a hissy fit when you mention something like this so it will probably cost you more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

bizzyb wrote: »
    If you plan on cooking meat from home, forget about it you will never get approved it needs to be a commercial kitchen.

If you cook meat to sell to business, your fall under the governance of slaughter houses etc. If you sell directly to the consumer then the restrictions are a lot more lax

Advertisement