Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riley the blood donating, crufts qualifying rescued sled dog

• 08-02-2015 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Riley's Story

1175233_10151820662359165_1529119604_n.jpg

A sled dog rescue got a phone call from a general breed rescue in 2010 asking for help with a husky. The owners had minimal fencing (they'd already had one dog knocked down and killed on the road) and the dog had got out and into a field of sheep, I don't know if any sheep were injured or killed, and completely understand a farmer having the right to shoot dogs that are worrying livestock. The owner was 8 months pregnant, and got to the field as fast as she could, the farmer had Riley the husky tied to a fence and was going to shoot him, the owner threw herself on the floor between the farmer and Riley, and begged him not to shoot. The farmer told her to get rid of him, she phoned the local rescue, they in turn contacted the sled dog rescue and they went and got him. They found a lovely, friendly boy who just needed to be kept safely contained (as indeed do all dogs).

Nobody has ever adopted Riley, his details have been shared many times, but as there are so many looking for homes, he has just never moved on. He has worked in harness, but is so laid back, that its not something at which he really excels. He entered a bikejoring race once, and spent most of the time going off the trail to get cuddles from spectators and photographers. However, put him at wheel with other dogs in a larger team, and he'll do his job.

He has been a blood donor at the vets, and was an absolute superstar, allowing blood to be taken from his jugular vein without sedation, and enjoyed the fuss and extra food he was given afterwards.

He came 2nd in his class at Belfast Championship Dog Show in September 2014, and so qualified for Crufts, the biggest dog show in the world. Yes, he is neutered, as he's a rescue dog, but that is seen as a single fault by the Kennel Club, and is judged as such, along with all other faults, no dog is perfect. He had never been in the show ring prior to Belfast, and had always been taught to sit for food and treats, but picked up very quickly that from now on, he was to stand and look noble. He only attended 4 Ring Craft classes, and practiced at home, he learnt so quickly, and wasn't fazed at all by the crowds and noise at the show. The judge remarked on how much fun he seemed to be having in her critique.

There is now a FB page for Riley and other rescue animals that are that little bit extra special, and we hope that by sharing Riley's story, we can raise awareness that rescue animals aren't always difficult, don't come with baggage, and actually, can be truly amazing. https://www.facebook.com/groups/902802546430985/902817326429507/?notif_t=like

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Muddypaws, do you think you'll have the time and/or inclination to keep us posted here about Riley's Crufts adventures? It'd be brilliant to get updates as the few days unfold!
    It's a great story, and I love the idea of having a place to tell the stories of rescue dogs that became particularly successful at something :)
    Maybe we could do something similar here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

muddypaws wrote: »
    Riley's Story

He came 2nd in his class at Belfast Championship Dog Show in September 2014, and so qualified for Crufts, the biggest dog show in the world. Yes, he is neutered, as he's a rescue dog, but that is seen as a single fault by the Kennel Club, and is judged as such, along with all other faults, no dog is perfect. He had never been in the show ring prior to Belfast, and had always been taught to sit for food and treats, but picked up very quickly that from now on, he was to stand and look noble. He only attended 4 Ring Craft classes, and practiced at home, he learnt so quickly, and wasn't fazed at all by the crowds and noise at the show. The judge remarked on how much fun he seemed to be having in her critique.

Muddypaws, does this mean he will be at Crufts, or that he qualified but because he's neutered he can't be entered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

He will be there Tranceypoo. They have a rule that allows neutered dogs to compete but would be at a disadvantage to the entire dogs.

Muddy enjoy every minute of it. Its a great experience and great to be able to say you have shown there.

I am going on the Saturday so I wont get to see you. But try get loads of pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Muddypaws, does this mean he will be at Crufts, or that he qualified but because he's neutered he can't be entered?

Sorry if that was unclear, he can be shown at Crufts. The Best of breed last year in the siberian huskies was actually a neutered male, he won the veteran class I believe, then into BoB and won that. I think, I may be completely wrong, my memory isn't what it used to be ;)

A little birdy has told me that Muddypaws and Riley will be appearing on the Ray Darcy Show on RTE Radio 1 at about 4pm this evening (Tuesday)!
    Let's all tune in and give our fellow boardsie some support!
    Good luck Muddypaws and Riley! Break a leg etc (not literally), hobnobbing with all the celebs in Montrose :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Good luck guys!

I abhor Ray Darcy but will tune in to listen to you :)

Toulouse wrote: »
    Good luck guys!

I abhor Ray Darcy but will tune in to listen to you :)

Lol, can't say I abhor him, but I don't listen to him much! Will be tuning in today though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

DBB wrote: »
    A little birdy has told me that Muddypaws and Riley will be appearing on the Ray Darcy Show on RTE Radio 1 at about 4pm this evening (Tuesday)!
    Let's all tune in and give our fellow boardsie some support!
    Good luck Muddypaws and Riley! Break a leg etc (not literally), hobnobbing with all the celebs in Montrose :D

How exciting, I'll tune in!!

I never knew muddypaws could sing like that...

Oh hang on. She hasn't come on yet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Did I miss it!?!?!?!

• Advertisement

On now :)

C'mon sponsors!! :D

I was soooooooooo nervous, but he is very, very good at his job, put me completely at ease. We're going up to Dublin tomorrow, Riley is going to meet Ray

You were great muddypaws, well done!
    Hopefully now you'll get some great sponsorship, maybe go to Crufts via a fortnight in the Seychelles? :D

Lol I can see a few offers of handler coming in for that one DBB. Wonder how the huskies would cope with the heat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I look forward to the movie :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Riley is going to be on the Ray D'Arcy show today - they are trying to get someone to sponsor them to go to Cruffs as they can't afford it

:( When are MP and Riley on?! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

EDIT - well I guess I missed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Pedigree have volenteered to sponsor the whole trip...great new that Riley will be in Crufts this year!! you can probably catch the interview on playback tk123

Pedigree have volenteered to sponsor the whole trip...great new that Riley will be in Crufts this year!! you can probably catch the interview on playback tk123

I missed it today, but woohoo! This is a great result! Congratulations Muddypaws and Riley!

• Advertisement

Brilliant :)

Raging I'm only going over for Thursday now!

Toulouse wrote: »
    Brilliant :)

Raging I'm only going over for Thursday now!

Well they're putting us up in a hotel, so who knows, we may meet up :D

I'm stopped for some food on the way home from Dublin, am in a bit of a daze, but what a dog he is. Such an amazing boy, so well behaved, and he even gave Ray D'Arcy a kiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Congrats Muddypaws!
    Hugo and Jack are dead jealous...

It's up on the RTE website to listen back, along with some lovely pics.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray/

muddypaws wrote: »
    Well they're putting us up in a hotel, so who knows, we may meet up :D

I'm stopped for some food on the way home from Dublin, am in a bit of a daze, but what a dog he is. Such an amazing boy, so well behaved, and he even gave Ray D'Arcy a kiss.

No more than you both deserve!

Excellent, I'll PM you closer the time and if you're around it would be great to see you!

Riley and his team mates completed the AMWA trek in Wales over the weekend, pulling the 3 wheeled rig over a total of 27 miles. We climbed 1400 feet each day, it was very hard work, but a great weekend and Riley now has a working title - Working Trek Dog (Silver)

trek1_zpspnueeeay.jpg

He had a bath today, and so is gleaming and ready for Crufts :D

I joined the group the share my story of a special rescue animal, and share it here too. But he's not that special, he's just an ordinary cat. The reason he is special and his story needs sharing is to benefit rescue cats everywhere.

Blackie was by description, a "semi-wild, outdoor cat". He was about 18 months old. We decided to adopt two of these adult, untame cats, because we loved cats and wanted a few rodent deterrents around our house. My ex wanted to get kittens and have pet cats. I wanted to give these poor unloved, unwanted cats a home. I wasn't bothered with having pet cats. I thought that was more selfish, more for us. So we got these two adult, semi-wild cats. George and Blackie. "You'll never pet them", we were told. That was ok. I wanted to give these otherwise overlooked cats a chance in life.

George became very tame very quickly. He was much younger (about 8 months) and it seemed all he really needed was attention, kindness, but a firm hand (he could get vicious). George, our sweetheart, after sleeping on our beds and becoming the most loved house cat, got a virus and died in two days with no warning. We were asked to bring his friend Blackie into the vet to be checked up - but we'd never even touched Blackie! We couldn't even get close enough to tap him.

Two weeks after George died, we'd left the door open cause it was warm, I heard a little "meow?" behind me in the kitchen. There he was. Terrified. I handed him a little bit of salmon, then a little more. Then I walked past him and went upstairs. I mean, this was so amazing, I didn't want to push anything? Next thing I was lying in bed watching TV eating my salmon sandwiches when I saw a tiny black face at the foot of the bed. He sat on the bed being fed from my sandwich until, unfortunately, it came to light what movie was on that night - Jurrasic Park. The T Rex scared the life out of him and he ran! But in the next few days he started to come inside, come up the stairs, and look for us. Of course he was lonely cause George was dead.

In a month here was my "semi-wild, outdoor cat".

photo.jpg

That's MY penguin! He now lives with my mother. When you try to watch TV he comes around the back of your neck, drapes himself over it, and dribbles all over you while nuzzling into your neck and purring.

I think Blackie is an amazing adopted pet because no one ever gives a chance to these untamed adult cats, the rescues are full of them, he should be a poster child as to why they should be given their own chances. I feel very strongly about these unwanted adult, untamed cats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Best of luck over at crufts, I'm sure he will do rescue dogs everywhere proud :D

Ooh, thanks for the reminder SMX, I've been meaning to post here the past few days! Good luck Riley and Muddypaws, hope you're having a ball over there, a great adventure altogether :D

Riley had a great time at Crufts (I think). He got lots of attention and treats. He didn't get placed, but did really well in the ring. There are some photos up on this page if anyone would like to see him. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.867784899934284.1073741832.120725751306873&type=1

It was a very busy week, as well as the long distance trek the weekend before Crufts, we went to the New Forest the day after and he ran in a sled dog rally, his 2 dog team came 3rd and earned a lovely rosette and some dog biscuits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement