Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea boat for short coastal stuff

• 08-02-2015 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good safe and stable sea boat for doing short wee jaunts up the coastline (east coast)?
    Preferably something with a cabin/cuddy and be capable of taking 2-4 adults and a kid or 2.
    I have plenty of experience of ribs in a rescue team but not too up on seagoing stuff.
    Budget would be an issue as im broke lol. Was looking at shetlands, would they be up to the job?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The shetlands will be fine, you could also look at seahog,Orkney, wilson flyer and Hardy to name a few they will be a bit rough and ready so good if you wanted to do a bit of fishing, if you want more of a cruiser in comfort maybe a maxum or bayliner, spend as much as you can on getting a good engine and aux engine it's always better to have a rough looking boat that will get you home than a nice shiny one that wont :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

As Fergal has said, Shetlands will be fine for inshore cruising. (I would love an open 535 with a console rather than a cabin) I had an old 535 a while back and it was a great little boat. I had an ageing 25hp on it and that would get it up to plane with four adults on board.

I've seen a few projects which are cheap, but if you had a trailer and engine yourself they would be good buys.

Personally Id avoid any older boats with a grp/foam sandwich construction. Water absorption etc

Advertisement