Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early season salmon

Options
  • 08-02-2015 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Heading down to fish in Delphi next week. I haven't done any early season salmon fishing before so not sure what type of flies to take. I have a multi tip line so I've got that part covered. Any tips for the river?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jack01986 wrote: »
    Heading down to fish in Delphi next week. I haven't done any early season salmon fishing before so not sure what type of flies to take. I have a multi tip line so I've got that part covered. Any tips for the river?

At this time of year salmon will be in the slower deeper water, not in the fast water. Concentrate on fishing the slower pools carefully. Collie Dog is a good fly this time of year. The fishery manager there is a mine of information so get chatting to him when you arrive and do exactly what he advises. They have flies for sale there so if you haven't got what he recommends pick up a couple before you hit the river. Bring a hip flask and wear plenty of layers!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Thanks for that Zippy I'll be sure to pick his brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

How early can you catch salmon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

How early can you catch salmon ?

It depends on the river itself.. Like some are opened on the 1st of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

Arite never fished for salmon was just curious

• Advertisement
Advertisement