Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nigel Pearson sacked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, I find the hand wringing by the morale high horse brigade anytime there's a bit of pushing or pulling baffling. In Rugby one lad gives another a dig and the ref will tell them to cop on and shake hands and that'll be the end of it. And that's the way it should be.
    No it shouldn't. Punching people is not ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Mr Pearson will be on SS News after the Scottish Cup draw. Will be interesting, no doubt.

Mr Pearson will be on SS News after the Scottish Cup draw. Will be interesting, no doubt.
    Nigel Pearson teaches self-defence classes live on Sky Sports News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Pearson has always come across as bullish in his interviews, I've found. He just doesn't seem likeable to me.

As for his comments, "that was something, if there was anything to it, I'd tell you about it." Yeah, grabbing someone by the throat and then preventing them from re-joining the field is clearly something so he's a liar. He couldn't even give an explanation of why he held McArthur by the sleeve.

As for thebaz's comments about football being a contact sport. Perhaps but between the competitors. Or does thebaz think Cantona's kick was just a poorly timed tackle? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

CSF wrote: »
    Nigel Pearson teaches self-defence classes live on Sky Sports News.

Leaving his coaching job behind to join WWE

SS News are defo milking it. Now have a ticker running "Nigel Pearson interview coming up"

Bloody hell !!!! It took him 5 minutes to say nothing !!!!!

Bloody hell !!!! It took him 5 minutes to say nothing !!!!!
    Did he hold his own though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I always thought he came across quite well in interviews and seemed a very calm character. Obviously he was a bit out of order with the incident at the weekend but there wasnt that much to it from what I could see.

A reprimand from the FA and side line ban/fine for a couple of matches would seem appropriate.

I`m still baffled by some of the vitriol that has been posted about him on here and am still wondering what other stuff people know about him that I dont, as it surely cant be based on those few seconds at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

He comes across as, for lack of a better term, a bit 'different', and maybe that's why some view him as a tad odd or aloof or whatever. The fact that he spends games up in the directors box for most of his games, but will stand on the touchline as an act of defiance to being punished by the FA and incidents like grabbing the Palace player only add weight to the idea that he's a bit of a character.

I saw a programme just before the season started, I think it was called the fall and rise of Leicester City, and in it, Pearson spoke canditadly about an experience he had while on holiday alone in Romania, where he confronted a deadly wolf who had cornered him, and basically scared the wolf off. I just thought to myself I can't see too many people in the football world spending their summer like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Pearson is a graduate of the Neil Warnock school of charm.

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    I saw a programme just before the season started, I think it was called the fall and rise of Leicester City, and in it, Pearson spoke canditadly about an experience he had while on holiday alone in Romania, where he confronted a deadly wolf who had cornered him, and basically scared the wolf off. I just thought to myself I can't see too many people in the football world spending their summer like that.

And Roy Keane once twatted a stampeding elephant....

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

And Roy Keane once twatted a stampeding elephant....

No, the elephant twatted himself with his own trunk, rather than stand around and listen to Keano go on a whiney tirade about how he's only a herbivour and doesn't have the 'hearwt' to become king of the jungle....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Detestable character, delighted for him if true.

If that's what you think is detestable, I'd hate to see how you interact with people in the real world.

Absolute non-story, especially since the player himself laughed it off.

This forum really has scraped the bottom of the barrel when it comes to pretending to be outraged by people doing people things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

If that's what you think is detestable, I'd hate to see how you interact with people in the real world.

Absolute non-story, especially since the player himself laughed it off.

This forum really has scraped the bottom of the barrel when it comes to pretending to be outraged by people doing people things

It really has if this is what's caused some of the more vitriolic comments. I always thought Pearson a decent type back to his playing days at Sheffield Wednesday. Can't say I've seen a lot of his interviews but I can never recall him being in bother for saying stupid stuff or doing much out of the way.

Last Saturday was handbags at dawn FFS. He put his hands on the fellas throat (without any force by the look of it) and held his jersey and he's getting comments like those on here? I really wonder how people cope in the real world.

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »
    It really has if this is what's caused some of the more vitriolic comments. I always thought Pearson a decent type back to his playing days at Sheffield Wednesday. Can't say I've seen a lot of his interviews but I can never recall him being in bother for saying stupid stuff or doing much out of the way.

Last Saturday was handbags at dawn FFS. He put his hands on the fellas throat (without any force by the look of it) and held his jersey and he's getting comments like those on here? I really wonder how people cope in the real world.

Exactly, it was a nothing incident, but you'd be amazed by internet gremlins' ability to fall over themselves to pretend to be upset.

Some of my favourite comments:
    Yes, He's an aggro a^&*hole.
    No it shouldn't. Punching people is not ok.

Like did these things even watch what happened or just get offended over events they made up in their heads??
    Pearson is a graduate of the Neil Warnock school of charm.
    Detestable character, delighted for him if true.
    it was him being the aggressor credit has to go to the Palace player for not retaliating, strange the way nothing much was said about this conduct it was truly despicable

not really sure despicable is the right word there
    Pardew is a saint in compirision to that obnoxious piece of dirt.

ooh, fiesty!
    ricero wrote: »
    Disgusting vermin of a man hope he suffers for years
    :pac:

And I don't really think Pearson is the issue if it makes these posters that irrationally angry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

DeanAustin wrote: »

also , in general professional sport is pretty well protected (TV cameras , high security) from the real nastiness of human nature - i witnessed a few incidents in leinster league football that did deserve/warrant some of the abuse spouted here , and what Pearson did was tame in comparison. If he had belted the player then fair game , but a little perspective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

He can look after himself.
    As he says himself, there's no question about that.

Like did these things even watch what happened or just get offended

Speaking for myself, where did I ever give the impression that I was even remotely offended? Midly amused would be about the height of it.

Speaking for myself, where did I ever give the impression that I was even remotely offended? Midly amused would be about the height of it.

It would be preferable if Sanity Saviour would actually read the thread tbh, rather than quoting posts that weren't specifically relating to the incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ya me too, I said his conduct was out of order basically (it was). If I took offense to anything it's the fact that if it was a more high profile manager we'd be watching the replay of that incident over and over with people calling for punishment. Handbags it may be but the throat is a very delicate area to a person and if someone in another job did that they'd be sacked without question.

A few weeks ago he told one of his clubs fans he should go kill himself, hardly surprising if a few posters here don't take to this type of character anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I read through this entire thread eagerly hoping to find out more about Nigel Pearson as to why so many people in here despise him, something that had alluded me from his past. Disappointed to be honest that Saturday's incident seems to me the only reason. Now while he doesn't exactly paint himself as a saint and that incident Saturday didn't help him either but Jesus... the abuse he's gotten in here :D

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I read through this entire thread eagerly hoping to find out more about Nigel Pearson as to why so many people in here despise him, something that had alluded me from his past. Disappointed to be honest that Saturday's incident seems to me the only reason. Now while he doesn't exactly paint himself as a saint and that incident Saturday didn't help him either but Jesus... the abuse he's gotten in here :D

If you've actually read the thread you would have seen he was an unpopular character with many before this incident.

But sure, carry on as you will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

If you've actually read the thread you would have seen he was an unpopular character with many before this incident.

Calm down Deirdre, I read it. He's unlikable, yes. Sure I don't like him myself. But the extent of the abuse he got in here I was looking forward to reading a lot worse about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

you're the only one who gave a reason, his interviews & yesterday, everyone else just posted he's a X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I have no opinion on him generally but thought he was very weird on Saturday and don't think what he did should go unpunished.

Not saying he should be tarred and feathered or run out of the game, but putting your hands round someone's neck and then stopping him from going back on the pitch is not normal behaviour for a manager and he should face some sort of charge or sanction.

Any Leicester fans on my twitter still love him anyway, so don't think he has a problem there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

On the incident itself, it was more holding onto his jersey more than the throat grab that I found bizarre

I do think people are making a bit too much of it. I wouldn't be calling for him to be punished for it. The throat grab was just an initial jovial incident in my opinion that both player and manager laughed at at the time. Pearson is probably a bit embarrassed at being knocked over like that in front of a full stadium and tv cameras and he's grabbed his throat as a light hearted reaction.

It got really weird when he grabbed hold of his jersey for what seemed like ages and wouldn't let back onto the pitch. The game was still going on at this point, it's not like there was a break in play.

It was a weird incident that Pearson probably helped make a bigger deal off with his post match comments. But that's it, nothing punishable as far I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

So Gary Lineker reckons Pearson was sacked by one member of the owners family and reinstated by another, I'd imagine he'd still be in the know at Leicester. Whatever went on, they made a balls of it.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/09/leicester-nigel-pearson-press-conference?CMP=share_btn_tw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Good to see him still in the position, losing his job over a non incident like that would have been ridiculous. I'm sure the opportunity to sack him on the basis of results can be looked into if they want rid!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    On the incident itself, it was more holding onto his jersey more than the throat grab that I found bizarre

I do think people are making a bit too much of it. I wouldn't be calling for him to be punished for it. The throat grab was just an initial jovial incident in my opinion that both player and manager laughed at at the time. Pearson is probably a bit embarrassed at being knocked over like that in front of a full stadium and tv cameras and he's grabbed his throat as a light hearted reaction.

It got really weird when he grabbed hold of his jersey for what seemed like ages and wouldn't let back onto the pitch. The game was still going on at this point, it's not like there was a break in play.

It was a weird incident that Pearson probably helped make a bigger deal off with his post match comments. But that's it, nothing punishable as far I'm concerned.
    I dunno man. I'm not exactly a body language expert or anything but it didn't seem that jovial. If in fact it was all just a lighthearted joke then its fine, but that wasn't the impression I got. Largely emphasised by the holding his jersey afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I dunno man. I'm not exactly a body language expert or anything but it didn't seem that jovial. If in fact it was all just a lighthearted joke then its fine, but that wasn't the impression I got. Largely emphasised by the holding his jersey afterwards.

Maybe jovial is not the correct word to use, but I really don't think there was anything in the incident when he grabs his throat. If it's left at that and MacArthur gets up and gets back onto the pitch, then I think it just becomes one of those 'funny' clips where the manager gets knocked over.

But it continues as Pearson holds onto his jersey to the point where MacArthur turns round asking 'what's he playing at'.

Pearson just comes across as a bit weird here, but there's no violent conduct there at all for me.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Maybe jovial is not the correct word to use, but I really don't think there was anything in the incident when he grabs his throat. If it's left at that and MacArthur gets up and gets back onto the pitch, then I think it just becomes one of those 'funny' clips where the manager gets knocked over.

But it continues as Pearson holds onto his jersey to the point where MacArthur turns round asking 'what's he playing at'.

Pearson just comes across as a bit weird here, but there's no violent conduct there at all for me.
    I don't think you could call putting your hand on someones throat violent conduct myself (although you'd get a red card for it), but there just seems to be an unnecessary nasty undertone to it all.

It would be preferable if Sanity Saviour would actually read the thread tbh, rather than quoting posts that weren't specifically relating to the incident.

nonsense.

thats exactly what all the comments were about, an outrage competition. All comments were about the incidents considering he has no prior.

For your own benefit, I suggest you tone down the faux outrage, remove the negative emotion, and actually look at these types of incidents at face value. You'll find that things aren't as "detestable" as they seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The best description of him I read elsewhere - he reminds me of Ross Kemp in Extras. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

more awkwardness in his presser tonight apparently.

also
    https://vine.co/v/OUd0ePzvwZY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I love the comments where people call him a **** cause he called someone a ****

Unearthly wrote: »
    I love the comments where people call him a **** cause he called someone a ****
    I will never understand how no matter badly somebody behaves, there will always be that one guy on the internet defending him, at least in a roundabout way.

I will never understand how no matter badly somebody behaves, there will always be that one guy on the internet defending him, at least in a roundabout way.

I didn't defend him? Odd post

• Advertisement

I didn't defend him? Odd post

Your post was the odd one. Horrible behaviour by a Premier League manager who has a history for it and your only contribution to the thread is criticising the anonymous people on the Internet having a go back at him.

Fair enough.

Your post was the odd one. Horrible behaviour by a Premier League manager who has a history for it and your only contribution to the thread is criticising the anonymous people on the Internet having a go back at him.

Fair enough.

so from now on i'll cover every topic in a thread to please CSF.

stop posting crap CSF, good lad

so from now on i'll cover every topic in a thread to please CSF.

stop posting crap CSF, good lad

Were the comments on a YouTube video the topic at all?

I thought Nigel Pearson was. Solid contribution.

my god what a pest your posts are.

I suggest you gain better interpretation skills and use less strawman skills

I'm done here.

my god what a pest your posts are.

I suggest you gain better interpretation skills and use less strawman skills

I'm done here.

Good lad

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Fair enough.

He wasn't defending Nigel Pearson. He was merely referring to the hypocrisy of the people commenting on the video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Wilberto wrote: »
    He wasn't defending Nigel Pearson. He was merely referring to the hypocrisy of the people commenting on the video.

They weren't saying it in a professional setting and are generally illiterate idiots anyway. Nearly every video ever on social media ever has comments like those.
    Pearson is the manager of a premier league team and in front of the country's media. Surely he has to be held to a seperate standard than keyboard warriors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Serious question: why are football journalists deserving of respect?

I don't have a huge problem with that interview. The club needs all the fight it can muster if it is to have any chance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Bridge93 wrote: »
    They weren't saying it in a professional setting and are generally illiterate idiots anyway. Nearly every video ever on social media ever has comments like those.
    Pearson is the manager of a premier league team and in front of the country's media. Surely he has to be held to a separate standard than keyboard warriors?

True, but it doesn't make any of them any less of a hypocrite.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not defending Nigel Pearson either! While it is entertaining for the rest of the football world, if I was a Leicester fan (or connected to the club in any other way) I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with that type of behaviour in any professional setting either.

That said though, I'd imagine the media can be infuriating for a manager a lot of the times, particularly the English media. :pac: :D

Good lad

never ceases to amaze me the level in which people pretend to be outraged.

The journalist was being a prick so he called him a prick. In a non-gremlin world, it's a complete non-issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

The journalist was being a prick so he called him a prick.

How so? He was asking questions, questions that Pearson didn't seem want to be asked.

Plenty of managers try/have tried to come across as bullish hoping they'll get asked less of those questions in future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement