Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nigel Pearson sacked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

never ceases to amaze me the level in which people pretend to be outraged.

The journalist was being a prick so he called him a prick. In a non-gremlin world, it's a complete non-issue.

And it never ceases to amaze me how there's always one there to make the ridiculous counter-argument. No matter how silly it might be.

You're a football manager at a press conference. You're not going to like every question asked after a defeat. Nothing personally offensive was said to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I got a tenner on him to be the next one sacked.

Come on Vichai.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I got a tenner on him to be the next one sacked.

Come on Vichai.

I'm assuming you placed that bet after Gustavo Poyet was relieved of his duties? :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

These spiky little things will likely add up and, along with the performances, cost him his job. It, in an of itself though (unless you're actually the guy he's speaking about), it's not really a big deal. Personally, I probably dislike him a smidge more than I did, thats about it.

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Wilberto wrote: »
    I'm assuming you placed that bet after Gustavo Poyet was relieved of his duties? :pac::D

Most certainly did :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Thread title name change plz yo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So he finds the referee's "arrogance" "distasteful" today! Lolz, pot, meet kettle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Three wins in a row, now only in bottom three by virtue of goal difference. Pearson's battling attitude seemingly giving his team a chance. Fair play.

Seized the moment to put Burnley to the sword away from home and are out of the relegation zone. Playing manball the last few weeks, Pearson has lit a fire in that dressing room. All credit to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

if he keeps them up hes a shoe in for manager of the year. incredible stuff the past month

• Advertisement

Mourinho will get manager of the year and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Shows how sacking isnt the answer. Amazing turn around for him. Deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Seized the moment to put Burnley to the sword away from home and are out of the relegation zone. Playing manball the last few weeks, Pearson has lit a fire in that dressing room. All credit to them.

I really wonder how much of it has to do with Pearson lighting a fire in the dressing room or anything like that?

My reason for saying that is you look at someone like Sunderland last year. The pulled off the greatest escape in Premier League history when you take into account the hole they were in and their fixtures, yet with 13 of the same players in the squad this year and the spine of the team pretty much the same (CB's, CM's and strikers) they were absolutely awful.

Sometimes things just click with the players. They pull a result out of the bag and get a bit of momentum/confidence to put a few wins together without the manager being the cause, which now appears to be what happened at Sunderland last year when they pulled a draw out of the bag at City and then beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. In all honesty I'd be reluctant to pin the turnaround on a manager who had oversaw a record of 18 defeats in 30 games until the start of this month. Not to belittle Leicester's run at all, but the fixtures have also aligned for them. Of course you still have to go out and win the games, but the teams they have beaten before today (West Ham, Swansea and West Brom) were all safe and sound with nothing to play for and limping to the finish line.

Fair play to them though. They'll probably stay up now, but I'd be very surprised if Pearson was still a Premier League manager by 2016.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Wonder why they've only started with manball in April.

11 points between October and March, 12 points in April. Maybe the Winter months are not conducive to manball. Can you play manball on a wet Tuesday in November in Leicester?

Shows how sacking isnt the answer. Amazing turn around for him. Deserves it.

Sometimes it is the answer though.

I detect high sodium levels! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Paully D wrote: »
    I really wonder how much of it has to do with Pearson lighting a fire in the dressing room or anything like that?

My reason for saying that is you look at someone like Sunderland last year. The pulled off the greatest escape in Premier League history when you take into account the hole they were in and their fixtures, yet with 13 of the same players in the squad this year and the spine of the team pretty much the same (CB's, CM's and strikers) they were absolutely awful.

Sometimes things just click with the players. They pull a result out of the bag and get a bit of momentum/confidence to put a few wins together without the manager being the cause, which now appears to be what happened at Sunderland last year when they pulled a draw out of the bag at City and then beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. In all honesty I'd be reluctant to pin the turnaround on a manager who had oversaw a record of 18 defeats in 30 games until the start of this month. Not to belittle Leicester's run at all, but the fixtures have also aligned for them. Of course you still have to go out and win the games, but the teams they have beaten before today (West Ham, Swansea and West Brom) were all safe and sound with nothing to play for and limping to the finish line.

Fair play to them though. They'll probably stay up now, but I'd be very surprised if Pearson was still a Premier League manager by 2016.

I get your point, but they say the buck stops with the manager. As much pressure as he was under during the bad results, he deserves great credit here along with the players of course.

In fairness, Leicester have never really been hammered this season. They've been competitive in all their games and have never looked out of their depth. Now they're pulling in the results just when it matters.

They've still a lot to do mind, but to find themselves out of the relegation zone at this stage is great work from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

ricero wrote: »
    if he keeps them up hes a shoe in for manager of the year. incredible stuff the past month

250/1 if you fancy a flutter.........

http://www.paddypower.com/football/uk-football/premier-league?ev_oc_grp_ids=111882

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Another strange one from him tonight:

"Are you flexible enough to get your head in the sand? My suspicion would be no. I can, you can't." :rolleyes:

Jesus he is an odd one. Can't quite make out exactly what the reporter asks him at the start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

CSF wrote: »
    Jesus he is an odd one. Can't quite make out exactly what the reporter asks him at the start?

As far as i can tell hes asked

"what criticism of your players dont you think is right"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Remember when Alan Pardew thought he was too mental to go after that one time? Aye. I guarantee he ties up hack journos in his basement to torture in his spare time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Pearson should star as Max Caddy in the re-remake of Cape Fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just like the MacArthur incident, he comes across as very weird. He will haunt your nightmares.

• Advertisement

Every manager has the odd meltdown or reacts to a journo, but the thing about Pearson is the level of intensity he brings. It's a bit like Roy Keane, but even with Keane I got the feeling that he was trying to live up to an image.

Again, why are football journalists deserving of respect? Pearson seems to treat them appropriately considering the nature of their 'profession'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Again, why are football journalists deserving of respect? Pearson seems to treat them appropriately considering the nature of their 'profession'.
    All the journalist asked was the about the criticism of the players. Doesn't seem to warrant Pearson's reaction unless something happened between them before.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Even if there's a history between the two, Pearson's rant didn't make any sense. He said he thought the journalist was an ostrich with his head in the sand... then asked whether the journalist was flexible enough to do that, Pearson answered himself that he thought, no...then said that he was (flexible enough to stick his head in the sand) and the journalist wasn't.

It's very odd, just like him talking about being a big boy able to look after himself etc after the Palace match.

It seems like when he's under pressure or angered, he stops being clear-minded and rational, which is how I'd regard him after most of his post match interviews. It's real Jekyll and Hyde stuff and he'll need to address that because it only takes one moment of madness to lose your job in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

If your treatment of people is based solely on their profession which I think is what you are suggesting I'd find that an odd approach.

Respect should surely be earned (starting point is neutral I guess) from interaction/words/deeds etc not some tickbox. You are a Journalist therefore I don't respect you...

Jesus man they're hardly contract killers. I treat tabloids with the contempt they're deserving of, but those publications only make up a small portion of football journalists out there, be they print, online, radio, television or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

If it wasn't for journos and the media at large, footballers and managers would be earning a miniscule of what they get paid.

Pearson made an awful eejit of himself, sounded like he was blind drunk. He'll be on Sky later whoever interviews him should go through him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

TheCitizen wrote: »
    If it wasn't for journos and the media at large, footballers and managers would be earning a miniscule of what they get paid.

Pearson made an awful eejit of himself, sounded like he was blind drunk. He'll be on Sky later whoever interviews him should go through him.

The journalists and media are not reporting on the games out of a love for the sport or the players, they doing it because it makes money for them and the companies they work for.

The journalists would be earning nothing if it wasn't for the players and managers.

The journalists and media are not reporting on the games out of a love for the sport or the players, they doing it because it makes money for them and the companies they work for.

The journalists would be earning nothing if it wasn't for the players and managers.
    Obviously, but how was that remotely implied? The journalists aren't going on random rants over very little, and refusing to ask questions.

Obviously, but how was that remotely implied? The journalists aren't going on random rants over very little, and refusing to ask questions.

The previous poster seemed to be impying the Pearson owes the media some respect.He doesn't in my opinion and they aren't doing anything for him and the team out of the goodness of their hearts.

The previous poster seemed to be impying the Pearson owes the media some respect.He doesn't in my opinion and they aren't doing anything for him and the team out of the goodness of their hearts.

Whether it's out of the goodness of their hearts or not, his salary is dependent on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

No but he owes them as much respect as anybody else until they do something disrespectful surely.

It was ridiculous, a really harmless, nothing question and Pearson shows how much the pressure is getting to him with a bizarre, embarrassing rant. He was actually trying to be clever and funny with his ostrich bit but it just came across as desperate and embarrassing.

Hel find it harder than he should to find a job after Leicester

He could be civil anyway though. It's not about owing anyone anything.

Whether it's out of the goodness of their hearts or not, his salary is dependent on them.

The sports media is equally dependent on the game to generate money for themselves.Nobody ever paid money to watch somebody in a press box writing a report.All those sports journalists need the game as much if not more than the players and managers need them.If Peasron wants to be a dickhead then best of luck to him he's making the journalist's job's an awful lot easier.

• Advertisement

He could be civil anyway though. It's not about owing anyone anything.

Sure he could but some people are assholes and there's just nothing you can do about it.

Sure he could but some people are assholes and there's just nothing you can do about it.

Not a lot...but we can say "he's an asshole".

I wouldn't take that from this flare up, but not sure I'd go for a pint with him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Jaysus he takes passive aggression to new heights. Very weird and unsettling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Hmm there's a little bit of John du Pont in Nigel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It's part of his job to answer their questions. If they weren't there asking him irritating questions he'd be on a fraction of the wages he is on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Do people not see that there is a middle ground between respect and contempt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

He offered his apologies to the journalist today, according to said journalist on Twitter.

baz2009 wrote: »
    He offered his apologies to the journalist today, according to said journalist on Twitter.

That's fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Why does he feel the need to apologise anyway? His team lose, he's interviewed moments after the game. Of course he's going to be pissed off. What do people expect?

Managers are going to fly off the handle every now and again.

"Nigel, it's seconds after a defeat. Why did your team lose? Are you annoyed yeah... ARE YOU!!??"

You've barely time to process anything before a mic is shoved into your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The funniest part was all of the outrage from other journalists on twitter last day, desperate to defend their colleague. I was expecting much worse from the video

Advertisement