Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nigel Pearson sacked?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Again, why are football journalists deserving of respect? Pearson seems to treat them appropriately considering the nature of their 'profession'.

:rolleyes: So you never read anything about football, do you?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Why does he feel the need to apologise anyway? His team lose, he's interviewed moments after the game. Of course he's going to be pissed off. What do people expect?

Managers are going to fly off the handle every now and again.

"Nigel, it's seconds after a defeat. Why did your team lose? Are you annoyed yeah... ARE YOU!!??"

You've barely time to process anything before a mic is shoved into your face.

I presume he felt the need to apologise for his rudeness.

We can all be pissed off for various reasons, that doesn't mean we can humiliate others.

Plus, it's hardly an ambush, he has to do this stuff all the time, he just has to get used to having a mic stuck in his face. He can't get too precious about it, it's part of the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why does he feel the need to apologise anyway? His team lose, he's interviewed moments after the game. Of course he's going to be pissed off. What do people expect?

"Nigel, it's seconds after a defeat. Why did your team lose? Are you annoyed yeah... ARE YOU!!??"

Well it's not like it's a once off for him. Most other managers are able to control themselves. Would you ever see Sean Dyche mocking a journalist if he stutters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It's a bit hypocritical of journalists and the media at large to be complaining about Pearsons behavior when they routinely make fun of players and managers and do whatever they can to embarrass them at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It's a bit hypocritical of journalists and the media at large to be complaining about Pearsons behavior when they routinely make fun of players and managers and do whatever they can to embarrass them at times.

Tabloids maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

AdamD wrote: »
    The funniest part was all of the outrage from other journalists on twitter last day, desperate to defend their colleague. I was expecting much worse from the video

Aye and they are usually the first bunch to start **** stirring when they get a chance. No sympathy for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thats really not like how it played out though. He was just being a dick.

At the end of the day, its not really acceptable in any professional environment to call someone stupid over and over again in a dickish manner. Of course he shouldn't be punished professionally over this type of stuff, but he absolutely shouldn't be excused. He's a bit of a dick, and should be recognized as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wolf Club wrote: »
    :rolleyes: So you never read anything about football, do you?

I sometimes click on a link posted here, but for years I've been consuming ever less traditional media content; don't listen to any football podcasts; and rarely watch post match analysis.

The vast majority of it was utter nonsense so I stopped offending my intelligence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I hear the BBC's Pat Murphy has had some sort of interview with him, that should be good. Fantastically blunt interviewer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Lucas Hood wrote: »

That was painful viewing. They both come across as tits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I like Leicester but Pearson comes across like a grade A twat when dealing with the media

I don't think it's too much of a job to just appease them, allowing yourself to focus on the football side of things but he just doesn't seem to want to play ball

He could do with some media training in that regard but I'd imagine he doesn't want any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Not too much more Pearson could do there tbh, Pat Murphy was looking for a reaction which he didnt get. As it moved along and he realised he was getting nowhere he got a bit braver, calling NP a bully and paranoid.
    Making a mountain out of a molehill really, I dont think Pearson is cut out for the pressure

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think Pearson just shut up shop and stonewalled. Murphy will keep at him, Paul Lambert knows this, the old Wolves chairman knows this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

elefant wrote: »
    That was painful viewing. They both come across as tits.

The journalist is worse to be honest. At least Pearson initially acted in the heat of the moment straight after a game. He was a dick but at least he apologised for it. The journalist was obviously there to try and provoke a reaction out of Pearson. Made his point and still droned on for another 5 minutes taking little digs at him. Obviously sent to "sort out" Pearson so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

The journalist is worse to be honest. At least Pearson initially acted in the heat of the moment straight after a game. He was a dick but at least he apologised for it. The journalist was obviously there to try and provoke a reaction out of Pearson. Made his point and still droned on for another 5 minutes taking little digs at him. Obviously sent to "sort out" Pearson so to speak.

Absolutely. Pearson was stonewalling to a weird extent right from the beginning, but 7 minutes of provocation by the journalist was also very strange. The 'have you considered taking anger management classes?' and 'I'm not the one making a fool of myself in press conferences' really took the biscuit.

They were like two children :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Embarrassing from Pat Murphy really.

APOLOGISE WHILE I MAKE JIBES AT YOU, YOU BULLY!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

He is basically not a nice guy to be PC about it but id say a large part of it was calculated to maybe get a bit of bond in the dressing room. Its us against the media, prive em wrong type of crack.

Either way i was disapointed hes still around because he comes across as a socially odd person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

LeBash wrote: »

Either way i was disapointed hes still around because he comes across as a socially odd person.

And this effects you how ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

dfx- wrote: »
    I hear the BBC's Pat Murphy has had some sort of interview with him, that should be good. Fantastically blunt interviewer...

judging from that interview - just lazy self righteous dirge - is it any wonder some people hate journalists - this kind pif ****e gives the profession a bad name.

Flew out of the gates here against Newcastle, two up in the first 20 mins.

Whatever Pearson is selling in that dressing room the players are buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Really hope Leicester stay up.

The treatment of Pearson by that journalist far outweighed anything that Pearson is allegedly guilty of this season.

He does have his moments(but don't most managers). It's a bit bizzare they way he is being portrayed in the press. It gives the impression that all sports journalists are just red top journos more interested in a sensational story than the actual sport.

Southampton put to the sword. Six wins from seven now, and starting to win well too. Pearson has done an amazing job here, and the whole club has buckled down and dug their way to safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Hard to believe they still only have 37 points, the improvement has been extreme.

JPA wrote: »
    Hard to believe they still only have 37 points, the improvement has been extreme.

They had 18 points after 27 games.

They were also 17 points behind Newcastle at the same stage!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I blame estebancambiasso

Pearson has done an amazing job - got leicester promoted on a tight budget - then done the impossible in keeping them up when they were doomed 2 months ago - deserves great plaudits - again he hardly pushed the boat out transfer wise - great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fair play to Pearson Leicester stay up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

One of the greatest escapes in a way. Sure there has been more dramatic last day survivals but has there ever been a better fight back from what looked a near impossible situation post Christmas?

CSF wrote: »
    Detestable character, delighted for him if true.

:)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :)

Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

adox wrote: »
    One of the greatest escapes in a way. Sure there has been more dramatic last day survivals but has there ever been a better fight back from what looked a near impossible situation post Christmas?

Sunderland last season. Their fixtures were much more difficult for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Some achievement that from Leicester. I think Pearson will still be gone in the summer though.

love to see that gob****e of a reporter Pat Murphy eating some humble pie - well done leicester

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    love to see that gob****e of a reporter Pat Murphy eating some humble pie - well done leicester
    I don't get the humble pie thing. He didn't say Pearson was doing a bad job or wouldn't keep Leicester up.

CSF wrote: »
    I don't get the humble pie thing. He didn't say Pearson was doing a bad job or wouldn't keep Leicester up.

he spent half an hour of an interview trying to goad Pearson - knowing Pearson may have personality issues - he failed - Prick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

he spent half an hour of an interview trying to goad Pearson - knowing Pearson may have personality issues - he failed - Prick

Nonsense. Pearson made an eejit of himself in the initial presser, the fact that Leicester didn't get relegated doesn't change that. Murphy was right to have a go at him.

Pearson's a time bomb, his time will come.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Nonsense. Pearson made an eejit of himself in the initial presser, the fact that Leicester didn't get relegated doesn't change that. Murphy was right to have a go at him.

Pearson's a time bomb, his time will come.

not sure if i can defend myself - because I have received a yellow card for above :confused:- anyway , I stated that Pearson has personality issues , does that allow a professional journalist at the bbc permission to goad him for 30 minutes . In my world no, and in my world people with personality issues have rights too. Goodbye

In my world no, and in my world people with personality issues have rights too. Goodbye

I must have missed the "Pearson has no rights" point. Who said that?

But fair play to him for keeping Leicester up. It must have been his "if we go down, I'm calling around for a chat" text to the players a few weeks back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Pearson has done an amazing job - got leicester promoted on a tight budget - then done the impossible in keeping them up when they were doomed 2 months ago - deserves great plaudits - again he hardly pushed the boat out transfer wise - great job.

It's been an outrageous escape, they needed to produce title winning form over their last 10 games to stay up and they did it. Fair play to the team and Pearson.

But I'm not sure you could say it's been a particularly tight budget. They spent 8 million on Ulloa and almost 10m on Kramaric. Not that that's mad spending but it's not many promoted clubs that would spend the guts of 20m on strikers.

Added to that there was a couple of million spent on Danny Simpson and while Cambiasso, Schwarzer and Huth were free/loans I doubt any of them would have small wages.

And they didn't sell a single player last summer so their gross spend would equal their net spend.

Certainly not huge money to be spending or anything and in truth what they've spent is probably just around what any promoted club should be looking to spend but I don't think it's right to say they've stayed up on a shoestring. There's a decent outlay there in fairness.

Now if Burnley had stayed up it would be right to say they did it on a shoestring.

not sure if i can defend myself - because I have received a yellow card for above :confused:- anyway , I stated that Pearson has personality issues , does that allow a professional journalist at the bbc permission to goad him for 30 minutes . In my world no, and in my world people with personality issues have rights too. Goodbye

"Personality issues". Must remember that one if ever I lose my temper in an argument with someone, I'll explain it away by saying I've got "personality issues".

"Personality issues". Must remember that one if ever I lose my temper in an argument with someone, I'll explain it away by saying I've got "personality issues".

people do have personality disorders - perhaps you should show sympathy than snarky cynicism

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

It's been an outrageous escape, they needed to produce title winning form over their last 10 games to stay up and they did it. Fair play to the team and Pearson.

But I'm not sure you could say it's been a particularly tight budget. They spent 8 million on Ulloa and almost 10m on Kramaric. Not that that's mad spending but it's not many promoted clubs that would spend the guts of 20m on strikers.

Added to that there was a couple of million spent on Danny Simpson and while Cambiasso, Schwarzer and Huth were free/loans I doubt any of them would have small wages.

And they didn't sell a single player last summer so their gross spend would equal their net spend.

Certainly not huge money to be spending or anything and in truth what they've spent is probably just around what any promoted club should be looking to spend but I don't think it's right to say they've stayed up on a shoestring. There's a decent outlay there in fairness.

Now if Burnley had stayed up it would be right to say they did it on a shoestring.

Ye your spot on there. He performed a miracle in the last 10 games but over the course of the season it's what was to be expected. When you consider what burnley spent and that another team in the league is qpr they realistically only needed to finish ahead of one team to stay up. They had a reasonable chance of staying up at the start of the season. Hull have been the big underachievers this season. I think I read somewhere they spent 44 million on transfers.

people do have personality disorders - perhaps you should show sympathy than snarky cynicism

So he's gone from having a personality issue to having a personality disorder? Has he talked about this?

It looked to me he was in a bad humour and was fed up fielding questions from journos in post match press conferences. However that's part of his job and he's well paid for his job and part of the reason why he's so well paid is that there's journo's asking him questions in post match pressers along with the rest of the media attention his sport gets.

If he does have a personality disorder that would go some way to explain his initial press conference, but I haven't seen him refer to a personality disorder or condition.

So he's gone from having a personality issue to having a personality disorder? Has he talked about this?

It looked to me he was in a bad humour and was fed up fielding questions from journos in post match press conferences. However that's part of his job and he's well paid for his job and part of the reason why he's so well paid is that there's journo's asking him questions in post match pressers along with the rest of the media attention his sport gets.

If he does have a personality disorder that would go some way to explain his initial press conference, but I haven't seen him refer to a personality disorder or condition.

i don't know him - but money has nothing to do with it - he's paid for what he does - manages - but money does not insulate people from personal issues - that journalist just hi-jacked the interview looking for a cheap re-action , which he failed to do - a journalist at that supposed reputable institution - the BBC - would have expected more, than car crash journalism.

Thats all - i've already picked up a yellow card for defending a team i do not support and a manager I don't know. so eneogh.

i don't know him - but money has nothing to do with it - he's paid for what he does - manages - but money does not insulate people from personal issues - that journalist just hi-jacked the interview looking for a cheap re-action , which he failed to do - a journalist at that supposed reputable institution - the BBC - would have expected more, than car crash journalism.

Thats all - i've already picked up a yellow card for defending a team i do not support and a manager I don't know. so eneogh.

So he hasn't referred to personal issues/disorders or anything like that. It's part of his job to deal with the press if there's really something there he should reveal it, delegate most of the press conferences to someone else, and just manage the team. That would change the remit of his job and the terms of his contract perhaps.

Pat Murphy wanted an explanation for what happened in the original press conference, Pearson didn't give a satisfactory explanation, still hasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You would want to seriously wind your neck in attributing personality disorders to people whose medical history you don't have the slightest idea about.

Extremely unsavoury behaviour on your part.

I don't get it myself, its unfair of a journo to ask questions in a civil if persistent manner, but it's fine to imply Pearson has a "personality disorder"? I would have thought if anything the latter is a far more serious accusation.

keane2097 wrote: »
    You would want to seriously wind your neck in attributing personality disorders to people whose medical history you don't have the slightest idea about.

Extremely unsavoury behaviour on your part.

and I stated I do not know Pearson or his medical background - but he obviously hasn't the social graces of Roberto Martinez - why should a professional journalist go out of his way to wind him for 30 minutes -if you agree with Murphy , thats your opinion , mine I think he was bang out of order

• Advertisement
Advertisement