Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nigel Pearson sacked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah, not buying the suggestion he has a personality disorder and think it's inappropriate to suggest same.

I do think he has no respect for football journalists and I'd agree with him on that. I think if managers want to take on journalists fair play to them, at the end of the day results are all that matter and he got a bunch of them when it mattered despite fractious relationships with the media.

And there's no doubt that the last press conference posted on this thread involved the journalist attempting to deliberately goad him into a response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, not buying the suggestion he has a personality disorder and think it's inappropriate to suggest same.

i thought i said - may have - so I apologise - i was merly defending Pearson , made a mistake - perhaps I really would be better off staying permanently away from boards - persistently misunderstood. Goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Pearson needs a bit of media training, that's all. People love getting excited about anything these days. The same people are probably going to buy a red top rag of their choice on their lunch break.

Pearson deserves more credit than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I do think he has no respect for football journalists and I'd agree with him on that. I think if managers want to take on journalists fair play to them, at the end of the day results are all that matter and he got a bunch of them when it mattered despite fractious relationships with the media.

And there's no doubt that the last press conference posted on this thread involved the journalist attempting to deliberately goad him into a response.

If it wasn't for football journos asking him questions and the attention from the media in general on the sport that he's a manager in, he'd be earning a fraction of what he gets now - if anything at all. Also he wouldn't be in a prominent position, in the limelight. It goes with the territory that he has to handle himself with the press whether he likes them or not.

If he's going to argue with them and treat them with no respect, he can expect a bit of that back in return.

If he doesn't like it he can quit and manage a football team at amateur level where he won't be pestered by the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Will be interesting to see which Leicester comes out next season, will they be able to carry that form over? Goodbye.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    If it wasn't for football journos asking him questions and the attention from the media in general on the sport that he's a manager in, he'd be earning a fraction of what he gets now - if anything at all. Also he wouldn't be in a prominent position, in the limelight. It goes with the territory that he has to handle himself with the press whether he likes them or not.

If he's going to argue with them and treat them with no respect, he can expect a bit of that back in return.

If he doesn't like it he can quit and manage a football team at amateur level where he won't be pestered by the media.

The modern football media cycle is pure space filling nonsense though. I don't engage with it or consume any of it, but I watch the matches. It's the watching of the matches that ultimately generates the income.

The modern football media cycle is pure space filling nonsense though. I don't engage with it or consume any of it, but I watch the matches. It's the watching of the matches that ultimately generates the income.

That's just you though. Other people are influenced in different ways. Goodbye.

You can opt out of the media cycle if you like, Pearson can't. It's part of his job.

Alex Ferguson famously wouldn't talk to the BBC for years, but he still spoke to the other media outlets and Man U had to a pay a fine every week for him refusing to talk to the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Exactly, most of the stuff the media print is hearsay and just pandering to the gossipy needs of the public. Only a fool would believe anything printed in most of the papers, especially the redtops

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Exactly, most of the stuff the media print is hearsay and just pandering to the gossipy needs of the public. Only a fool would believe anything printed in most of the papers, especially the redtops

What's that got to do with this thread?

Responding to LuckyLloyd's comment about the media. Maybe if you took the time to read and think before jumping down people's throats

What's that got to do with this thread?

The thread is about a football manager treating some football journalists with overt disdain. It seems like an opinion on the value of the football media may be quite pertinent no?

The thread is about a football manager treating some football journalists with overt disdain. It seems like an opinion on the value of the football media may be quite pertinent no?

I think that's a different discussion to Nigel Pearson going off on one in a post match presser.

Anyway what I dont get is people complaining about Pat Murphy having a go at him after what Pearson did in the original press conference. Pearson can expect that from the media from here on, he's just gonna have to learn how to deal with it a lot better.

Anyway what I dont get is people complaining about Pat Murphy having a go at him after what Pearson did in the original press conference..

I have no problem with Pat Murphy defending his fellow reporter and quizzing Pearson, by all means go ahead, however its ironic that he ended up looking equally childish and silly with his comments, he was getting nowhere with his obvious attempts to wind Pearson up and then crossed a line calling him a bully and paranoid. Murphy certainly didnt come out of it smelling of roses either
    But it seems certain posters are only happy if we toe the line and all dislike Nigel Pearson. He certainly isnt your standard manager with the rehearsed cliched answers that dominate pre and post match interviews. Im glad he kept Leicester up, theres something about his bluntness that I like

I have no problem with Pat Murphy defending his fellow reporter and quizzing Pearson, by all means go ahead, however its ironic that he ended up looking equally childish and silly with his comments, he was getting nowhere with his obvious attempts to wind Pearson up and then crossed a line calling him a bully and paranoid. Murphy certainly didnt come out of it smelling of roses either
    But it seems certain posters are only happy if we toe the line and all dislike Nigel Pearson. He certainly isnt your standard manager with the rehearsed cliched answers that dominate pre and post match interviews. Im glad he kept Leicester up, theres something about his bluntness that I like

What's this toeing the line you're talking about?

There are some posters here who seem to think Pearson should be able to act like an eejit in a press conference and with no consequence for it. You're saying that he acted "childish and silly", but you also like his "Bluntness", sounds like you're contradicting yourself a bit.

• Advertisement

There are some posters here who seem to think Pearson should be able to act like an eejit in a press conference and with no consequence for it. You're saying that he acted "childish and silly", but you also like his "Bluntness", sounds like you're contradicting yourself a bit.

What consequence did he face for it? W6D1L1 and survived relegation? The horror.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Murphy was very open after choking McArthur (?) that the only reason he was there then was that Pearson had brought it on himself.

If Pearson doesn't want to be lectured at, he should change his behaviour, the list of people taking on the media and winning is very short.

What consequence did he face for it? W6D1L1 and survived relegation? The horror.

Nothing to do with surviving relegation, what are you talkin about. The little consequence he faced, was the criticism from the media that he got for making an eejit of himself, that some are bellyaching about on his behalf. The horror.

I explained why I like his bluntness - he's not like other managers who come out with the same predictable rehearsed lines.

There are some posters here who think that Pat Murphy should be able to act like an eejit in a press conference and get away with it, simply because the media help fund Pearsons wage. Two wrongs dont always make a right. Pearson was out of order in the first interview but apologised for it. As I said, i see no problem with PM defending his fellow reporter, but his own behavior in the interview (calling NP a bully and paranoid when he clearly wasnt getting the response he wanted) well that speaks for itself. How can he attempt to take the moral highground and then resort to petty insults.

I explained why I like his bluntness - he's not like other managers who come out with the same predictable rehearsed lines.

There are some posters here who think that Pat Murphy should be able to act like an eejit in a press conference and get away with it, simply because the media help fund Pearsons wage. Two wrongs dont always make a right. Pearson was out of order in the first interview but apologised for it. As I said, i see no problem with PM defending his fellow reporter, but his own behavior in the interview (calling NP a bully and paranoid when he clearly wasnt getting the response he wanted) well that speaks for itself. How can he attempt to take the moral highground and then resort to petty insults.

Noone said anything about a high Moral ground. Murphy just gave Pearson a taste of his own medicine. I think its hilarious that some have a problem with that. Journos are well within their rights to give Pearson a hard time of it at every opportunity.

• Advertisement

Noone said anything about a high Moral ground. Murphy just gave Pearson a taste of his own medicine. I think its hilarious that some have a problem with that. Journos are well within their rights to give Pearson a hard time of it at every opportunity.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I find it strange that people criticise Pearson for being ignorant to a journalist, but its grand the other way around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sacked for real this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester sack manager Nigel Pearson.
    Leicester sack manager Nigel Pearson

Leicester have sacked manager Nigel Pearson.
    More to follow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33338638

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

About ****ing time.

This thread title was annoying me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Leicester obviously drinking from the same water supply as Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I thought he must have backed his sons sacking the last week when he didn't go at the same time, but I guess he was overruled.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fundemental differences between himself and the chairmen regarding the future if the club apparently.

Not getting the budget he wants maybe?

His son getting sacked probably didn't help.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

His son hanging out of the back of a Thai prossie didn't help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If he was not getting the transfer cash he wanted then wouldn't he be more likely to resign than be sacked ?

I always felt that Pearson would be out the door this summer, no matter what the outcome of last season was.

Relegation obviously would have lead to his sacking, but i thought also they'd trying something different should they stay up and try to bring the club on.

Ostrich-gate, wrestling with players during the game and telling his fans to 'f*ck off and die' wouldn't have helped his cause either.

After the ostrich incident, i just think the club thought at the time, 'look, he's gone in the summer anyway, but we're on a good run right now so let's wait and see if he can keep us up. No point sacking him now'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Delighted for him,cant stand the guy.His whole attitude stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

David Squires' cartoon in The Guardian sums everything about Pearson up.

zAJHkJ0.jpg

He won't be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Not a nice man at all and I'm not sorry to see then end of him but the way Leicester finished the season I think he can feel like he got a raw deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

eagle eye wrote: »
    Not a nice man at all and I'm not sorry to see then end of him but the way Leicester finished the season I think he can feel like he got a raw deal.
    The good run was probably just a stay of execution.

Big Sam to get the job?

Said at the time that he wouldn't be there long after the thing with his son.

Hope Lambert gets the job. More for Lambert than for Leicester.

He'll get another decent job at a big Championship club after his electrifying finish to the season.

Clearly to do with a combination of his son and transfer budgets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Paully D wrote: »

He won't be missed.

He might actually, he was entertaining in a David Brent type of way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'll miss him.His interviews were at least entertaining and he did a pretty good job with them.

Probably better for his CV in general as he leaves on a high and very few managers ever get to do that.

I don't really get the hate for him to be honest. He did a fantastic job with Leicester, ultimately the Championship probably is his level. But people go on about his character, yeah he's acted weird at times, but the vitriol towards him goes over my head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

As a Watford fan, I hope this sends Leicester on a plummet. Pearson has always come across as a really dislikable guy.

EDIT: I wonder if Allardyce will take it. Not sure who else is available.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

He'll get another decent job at a big Championship club after his electrifying finish to the season.

Clearly to do with a combination of his son and transfer budgets.

The BBC are reporting that the whole thing with his son was basically the final straw. Regardless of what people may think of him, getting fired over the actions of your son is a pretty raw deal. Pearson's son is a 22 year old man who's well able to make his own decisions and his father shouldn't be paying for his indiscretions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just listening to the BBC. The same media outlet who hammered Pearson at nearly every opportunity now suddenly think that it's a disgrace that he's given the chop.

Bizarre.

SantryRed wrote: »
    As a Watford fan, I hope this sends Leicester on a plummet. Pearson has always come across as a really dislikable guy.

EDIT: I wonder if Allardyce will take it. Not sure who else is available.

Neil Lennon followed by Big Sam head the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

A real pity, did a wonderful job to get Leicester out of trouble and one of the last remaining managers in the PM with any sort of personality. Have to applaud his open disdain for the reporters as well, good to see.

Unfortunate that there is a preference among football clubs (and members of this forum bizarrely, but then again why else do you have to resort to giving your opinions on soccer forums!) for managers who will put their head down, say nothing, stick to being shamefully PC, be utterly vacuous for the sake of the cameras and be mediocre than managers who will speak their mind and do well.

Great manager, and there is no doubt that Leicester will go down unless they get someone like Sam Allardyce in.

I can't stand him, but if he's sacked for the actions of his son that is just wrong.

With that said, I'd say there's more to it and it probably has more to do with what the sacking of his son did to the relationship between the manager and the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Zaph wrote: »
    The BBC are reporting that the whole thing with his son was basically the final straw. Regardless of what people may think of him, getting fired over the actions of your son is a pretty raw deal.

Well, thats the thing about final straws isn't it. Its not always the most serious offence that gets you fired, but all the other crap preceding it means you get very little tolerance.

In isolation getting fired for your sons actions is a raw deal, but I can see how the board might feel its just the latest in a long line of media fallout that they could do without.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

CSF wrote: »
    With that said, I'd say there's more to it and it probably has more to do with what the sacking of his son did to the relationship between the manager and the board.

I'd say this is it exactly. I doubt he was fired purely because of it, but the club firing your son is going to put a strain on any working relationship.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A failure as a father raising such a vile human being as a son. Good riddance to both.

ricero wrote: »
    A failure as a father raising such a vile human being as a son. Good riddance to both.

Ridiculously stupid post. Like, if there's an award at the end of the year for the stupidest post of the year, this one wins by a landslide.

Neither you nor me, know anything about Pearson's parenting nor do we know any more about his son as a human being than that he drunkenly laughed at someone making a racist slur during an orgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

ricero wrote: »

Managing a premier league shouldn't be based on your parenting skills.

If, as it should be, his job was based on results alone then he should never have been sacked. The only defeat in the last 9 games was against Chelsea and they needed the victory.

It's clear that there is something going on in the background. However, we do not know for sure what it is.

His son has been sanctioned in the most severe manner possible, as he should have been. This should have been the end of it. I imagine it is more to do with the financial and playing side than his sons behaviour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement