Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ravel Morrison released by West Ham

• 08-02-2015 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/08/west-ham-ravel-morrison-leaves

I can't see it happening for this young fellow, hope he doesn't end up broke and bitter come 35 years of age. I also remember a young Everton player called Billy Kenny who's career went down the pan ( or up his nose if one is familiar with his story ). Any other might-have-been players people can recall?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rumour has it that Morrison isn't the one to blame for the way his West Ham career has gone.

Certainly a talented lad. Has had his issues in the past but lets see how he gets on at his next club which will be the defining one for him IMO. Still only 22 remember.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

CSF wrote: »
    Rumour has it that Morrison isn't the one to blame for the way his West Ham career has gone.

Certainly a talented lad. Has had his issues in the past but lets see how he gets on at his next club which will be the defining one for him IMO. Still only 22 remember.
    Sure it's not. I'm sure it's not his fault the way his time at Man U went either. Or Birmingham. Or QPR. Or Cardiff.

Francis Jeffers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Lazio his next move so I'd say.

Sure it's not. I'm sure it's not his fault the way his time at Man U went either. Or Birmingham. Or QPR. Or Cardiff.
    He did well at QPR. Pre-West Ham he was clearly a troubled case, but he played well at West Ham and the rumours are that he was frozen out for the wrong reasons at West Ham, and I would say the other party's character has been established as even less credible if we're deciding who to believe on that.

In the end, we don't have the facts on whose account of that particular story is true, so really its better to see where he goes now, and how he does there, and history will be written by the victors in that respect IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He did well at QPR. Pre-West Ham he was clearly a troubled case, but he played well at West Ham and the rumours are that he was frozen out for the wrong reasons at West Ham, and I would say the other party's character has been established as even less credible if we're deciding who to believe on that.

In the end, we don't have the facts on whose account of that particular story is true, so really its better to see where he goes now, and how he does there, and history will be written by the victors in that respect IMO.

More details plz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

seems along time ago since this match.

adam morgan who scored both goals for liverpool has fallen just as hard and fast as morrison

Dempsey wrote: »
    More details plz!
    The rumours/allegations are that Allardyce was bullying Morrison into signing with the same agent as his own. When Morrison refused he was frozen out of the team.

Allardyce has had various (although to my knowledge never established) allegations of shady dealings over the course of time, so it wouldn't be surprise me if this was true, but innocent until proven guilty I suppose, but I wouldn't be hanging Morrison based on his time there (especially since he was playing really well and tipped for the World Cup squad before he was frozen out) as long as that story is out there.

Morrison will go somewhere else now and at the young age of 22, his future will write much more of how his career is remembered than his career upto now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Corholio wrote: »
    Lazio his next move so I'd say.

Then Rangers??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Then Rangers??

Then the Islamic State, of course.

The Allardyce thing wouldn't surprise me. An agent and player have both made that allegation in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I thought Morrison had already signed for Lazio in the transfer window. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

monkey9 wrote: »
    I thought Morrison had already signed for Lazio in the transfer window. :confused:

Pre contract agreement to join in the summer. I suppose he can join them immediately now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Francis Jeffers.

Harsh. Injuries, not attitude and ill discipline put paid to Jeffers' career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

He actually was pretty good at Birmingham. He certainly had issues at the start, there were rumours of an incident at Lee Clark's house. When he was given his chance, he definitely took it. He was very consistent and had a good attitude. I think he needs a lot of one on one management, which premier league managers can't really afford to do. If he has a lot of free time and no guidance, he easily goes off the rails. I hope Italy can prove to be a fresh start for him, never nice to see footballers struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Francis Jeffers.

Would Stephen Ireland not be a better comparison to him.

Bundles of talent,head in a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

JPA wrote: »
    Pre contract agreement to join in the summer. I suppose he can join them immediately now.

I don't think so, he was registered at West Ham when the window closed so I think he's frozen out of football until the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Harsh. Injuries, not attitude and ill discipline put paid to Jeffers' career.

I remember reading an article that after signing for Arsenal he spent half his time back in the Pool being a champagne charlie and billy big boots, I think attitude problems put paid to a second spell at Everton as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Mentioned him in a similar thread before, Alexandre Pato kind of pissed it all away too and he's still only young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't think so, he was registered at West Ham when the window closed so I think he's frozen out of football until the Summer.

He's a free agent, can go where he wants, contract closed by mutual consent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

vicwatson wrote: »
    He's a free agent, can go where he wants, contract closed by mutual consent

No, he's right. If he was released in January it's be different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The rumours/allegations are that Allardyce was bullying Morrison into signing with the same agent as his own. When Morrison refused he was frozen out of the team.

Allardyce has had various (although to my knowledge never established) allegations of shady dealings over the course of time, so it wouldn't be surprise me if this was true, but innocent until proven guilty I suppose, but I wouldn't be hanging Morrison based on his time there (especially since he was playing really well and tipped for the World Cup squad before he was frozen out) as long as that story is out there.

Morrison will go somewhere else now and at the young age of 22, his future will write much more of how his career is remembered than his career upto now.
    I love when we get these rumours about a manager who has been in the game for years and done well at almost every club he has been at.

Might this be a case where if there are rumours like this that the agent that Morrison has is just trouble? All the moves that Morrison has made will have made money for his agent. Maybe he was angling for Morrison to make another move and Ravel started demanding it.

We'll never know the true story but this kid has had problems no matter where he has been and to believe that 'this one time' he has been harshly treated is the same to me as believing that people can beam themselves from a space ship to the ground just like in Star Trek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Hard to feel sorry for him. He's very well played to play football , if he got his head down and done that he'd have far less issues.

But he doesn't and now looks to play the victim card , was a scumbag at Utd and is still a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Surprised Michael Johnson hasn't been mentioned yet, I know he had a tough time with injuries and to see him in the state he's in now is a real shame, definitely a case of too much too young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Surprised Michael Johnson hasn't been mentioned yet, I know he had a tough time with injuries and to see him in the state he's in now is a real shame, definitely a case of too much too young.

What, unfit? He wouldn't be the first man in the history of the world to pack a few pounds on in his mid twenties. I don't think anything terrible has befallen him - he did well out of football in the final analysis.

Why do people care tbh? If Ravel Morrison doesn't make it so what like? Another talented teenage footballer who fell by the wayside for one reason or another. He will have been well compensated for the time he spent playing. Next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Why do people care tbh? If Ravel Morrison doesn't make it so what like? Another talented teenage footballer who fell by the wayside for one reason or another. He will have been well compensated for the time he spent playing. Next.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

Personally couldn't give a toss. Was rightly sent packing from United and has shown since he is a troubled bloke with clearly no desire to get the best from his ability.

Personally fee l these players should just be forgotten about the focus put on young players who are working hard and have dedication and want to really make the best career for themselves. Have no time for egotistical wasters. Height of their careers is appearing on a Football 365 list of top ten all time wasters.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I love when we get these rumours about a manager who has been in the game for years and done well at almost every club he has been at.

Might this be a case where if there are rumours like this that the agent that Morrison has is just trouble? All the moves that Morrison has made will have made money for his agent. Maybe he was angling for Morrison to make another move and Ravel started demanding it.

We'll never know the true story but this kid has had problems no matter where he has been and to believe that 'this one time' he has been harshly treated is the same to me as believing that people can beam themselves from a space ship to the ground just like in Star Trek.

There are as many shady stories about Allardyce as there are Morrison to be fair.

Neither comes across as whiter than white so I think the best approach is to see how the lad gets on from here.

There are as many shady stories about Allardyce as there are Morrison to be fair.

Neither comes across as whiter than white so I think the best approach is to see how the lad gets on from here.
    Do you not get what you are saying there? One man is in the game for close on 40 years and the other has been what 5 years or so. And there are more stories about Morrison than Allardyce.

Do you not get what you are saying there? One man is in the game for close on 40 years and the other has been what 5 years or so. And there are more stories about Morrison than Allardyce.
    Stories of shady financial dealings have followed Allardyce throughout his career. The fact that he is 60 and has managed to do a decent job of managing football teams doesn't really have anything to do with that.

Redknapp for example has been pretty much established beyond doubt to be involved in dodgy financial practice (accounts in his dog's name etc). Still had no problem maintaining a Premier League football career at the age of 67.

Stories of shady financial dealings have followed Allardyce throughout his career. The fact that he is 60 and has managed to do a decent job of managing football teams doesn't really have anything to do with that.

Redknapp for example has been pretty much established beyond doubt to be involved in dodgy financial practice (accounts in his dog's name etc). Still had no problem maintaining a Premier League football career at the age of 67.
    Now you are wandering away from the point which Redknapp has nothing to do with.

Fact is Allardyce has had nothing proven against him in his circa 40 years in football. Ravel Morrison has been a problem child in the five years or so that he has been in senior football.

To suggest that the problem in this case is Allardyce and not something of Morrison's own doing is a wild accusation considering the history of both men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

JPA wrote: »
    No, he's right. If he was released in January it's be different.

He wasn't "released" though by one party, this was mutual consent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

He's a fantastic talent.

Love the technique in this training ground goal.

Now you are wandering away from the point which Redknapp has nothing to do with.

Fact is Allardyce has had nothing proven against him in his circa 40 years in football. Ravel Morrison has been a problem child in the five years or so that he has been in senior football.

To suggest that the problem in this case is Allardyce and not something of Morrison's own doing is a wild accusation considering the history of both men.
    Grand, we will just ignore the rumours of that have dogged Allardyce throughout his career.

We will ignore the fact that Morrison isn't the first to make these kind of allegations.

That's totally the rational thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What, unfit? He wouldn't be the first man in the history of the world to pack a few pounds on in his mid twenties. I don't think anything terrible has befallen him - he did well out of football in the final analysis.

He's not only put on a few pounds, supposedly he's sidfering really badly with depression, has gambled all his money, and has just turned into a waster really.

I wouldn't say I'll lose any sleep over any footballer not being successful but when you enjoy watching their talents then see them throw it away it's not a nice thing to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

vicwatson wrote: »
    He wasn't "released" though by one party, this was mutual consent.

Doesn't matter. West Ham held his registration when the window shut and no one else can register him until it re-opens.

This is why you see so many players get released from their contract on transfer deadline day as it frees them up to sign for someone else in the following weeks.

Grand, we will just ignore the rumours of that have dogged Allardyce throughout his career.

We will ignore the fact that Morrison isn't the first to make these kind of allegations.

That's totally the rational thing to do.
    Grand we'll just ignore all Morrison's past transgressions.

We will ignore the fact that this isn't the first club to get rid of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You do realise that it's possible for Morrison to be a waste of space and possible for Big Sam to be dodgy as f*ck, right?

You don't have to choose one and denounce the other. This isn't religion. :p

Kirby wrote: »
    You do realise that it's possible for Morrison to be a waste of space and possible for Big Sam to be dodgy as f*ck, right?

You don't have to choose one and denounce the other. This isn't religion. :p
    I'm well aware of that. :)

The difference is, I'm not ignoring it. Im not guffawing the idea that he might be to blame.

I've been pretty clear about that throughout the thread.

Advertisement