Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly rod.

Options
  • 08-02-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Im going to get a Shakespeare fly rod in the next few weeks but what would be the best model rod they do?

I bought one of their "Omni" model rods for trout last year and it feels like a poker to be honest.

But i used a friends Shakespeare fly rod before and it felt really nice but im not sure what model it was.I think they have agility, oracle and sigma rods but im not sure what the difference is.

Also, would one of the Greys GR10 rods be much better.They are a little bit more expensive, but would they be much better quality than the shakespeares?
    Obviously they are rods from Greys lower end range.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AnglingMad

Greys rods are excellent value for what you get which is a good reliable rod. I would always lean toward them versus shakespeare for fly rods as there focus is fly fishing. you are essentially getting the budget range of Hardy rods as they are part of the same stable. Snowbee are also very good value and have some great deals in their clearance sale on the diamond range which has just started. You have not stated what weight of rod so have a look at their website.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Ah ok. I was worried that the cheaper Greys rods might just be Shakespeare rods with a bigger price.

Ill look up some Snowbee rods now.Where would i find this clearance sale, on their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Ah ok. I was worried that the cheaper Greys rods might just be Shakespeare rods with a bigger price.

Ill look up some Snowbee rods now.Where would i find this clearance sale, on their website?

Postage is 20 pounds but still good value for a complete kit in my opinion

I used the sonik rod last year couldn't fault it , can't comment on the airflo
    http://www.fishersdirect.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Thanks Popsy.Would they have many fly rods in stock in Murrays do you know?I only bought 1 fly rod ever and that was online so i wouldnt know what way their stock is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Murrays tend to have 90% of budget gear I'n stock as I'd imagine they don't want the likes of a sage one for 6-700 sitting on the shelf for a couple of years but if u call in tell them your budget he can order ya in what ya want in a few days

Only yesterday I got an old daiwa whisker on adverts a cracking rod and I know the seller has another 10ft one going up for sale soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

All rods are well made these days, it's hard to find bad rods with modern manufacturing methods. If you want a wee river rod, go shakespeare. The "Agility Rise" is their river model. Greys rods tend to be geared more to reservoir angling so if its a lake rod you're after go for the Greys.

Advertisement