Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with WD Passport Ultra HDD

Options
  • 08-02-2015 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone help me with this.

I have a WD Passport Ultra 1tb HDD drive that I bought a couple of weeks ago.
    I had the drive attached to a Raspberry Pi and used it as a NAS and torrent box.
    It ran perfectly for the last few weeks until this weekend.

I shutdown the Pi and detached the HDD to transfer the files to another drive.
    Drive showed up on laptop without issue.
    I then came back and attached the drive to the Pi and could access the files again over my home network.
    The power tripped and I had to re set up the pi, samba etc.

However now none of my files showed up !

I couldn't see the drive when i connected it to my laptop directly !

I plugged the drive into my TV and all my files showed up and played.

Reconnected the drive to the PI and confirmed the correct UUID and its mounted correctly. I can add folders to the PI but my files still don't show up.

Long and short drive visible on Pi, now visible on XP laptop and files only visible on TV.

Should I just reformat the drive and start again ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Reformat is a bit last resort, connect to computer and run 'chkdsk - r - f' against the drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

degsie wrote: »
    Reformat is a bit last resort, connect to computer and run 'chkdsk - r - f' against the drive

I nran Chkdsk last night and it found issue with 2 files.

Retarted the Laptop and the drive still shows up as RAW. Its the full partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I would try booting into a live Linux CD, plug in the drive and see if Linux can read any of the data off the drive. I saw someone on a forum that had luck with a Mac reading a raw partition, so it may work with Linux.

If you need help creating a live CD, have a look at this link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

I've recovered some of the files of the drive and now I assume I need to reformat it to leave it useable ?

I used Disk Management and ran Disc format. 24 hours later and it says the drive is still formatting !
    Is this normal ?
    The drive is connected to a USB 2.0 port on the laptop
    Is there any program for formatting that will give me a status bar for formatting so I can see how long it mgiht take ?

Try Easeus Partition Master Free Edition. Its much better than the Windows disk management platform. 24 hours of formatting sounds dodgy to me!

http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Try Easeus Partition Master Free Edition. Its much better than the Windows disk management platform. 24 hours of formatting sounds dodgy to me!

http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

I'll try running that this evening then.
    Do you think the drive could be beyond saving if it took that long formatting with no result ?

will56 wrote: »
    I'll try running that this evening then.
    Do you think the drive could be beyond saving if it took that long formatting with no result ?

Its never a good sign when you get formatting or partitioning errors. If you still have data on it, try running a free data salvage utility like Revuca on it before you try another format. You might be able to salvage some stuff.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Its never a good sign when you get formatting or partitioning errors. If you still have data on it, try running a free data salvage utility like Revuca on it before you try another format. You might be able to salvage some stuff.

Should I go looking for a replacement drive then ?
    This is turning into an expensive mistake on my part :(:(

Should I go looking for a replacement drive then ?
    This is turning into an expensive mistake on my part :(:(

Did you try mounting the drive in a Linux distro to see if you can get to the files?

The linux distro is on my to do list for this weekend.
    I'm not too bothered about the files is whether or not I have a useable hdd really

• Advertisement

The linux distro is on my to do list for this weekend.
    I'm not too bothered about the files is whether or not I have a useable hdd really

Ah ok, well try that and then try Easeus Partition Master to format it. If that fails, try something like HD Tune to run a diagnostic test on the drive and see if there's bad sectors.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

Advertisement