Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why doesn't the Republic of Ireland have permanent ice rinks?

Options
  • 08-02-2015 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I've lived in quite a few countries and ever since I've moved back to Ireland a few years I have wondered why Irish cities and towns don't seem to have permanent ice rinks.

Whenever the temporary rinks open for the Christmas season they are always packed (so packed in fact that it can be impossible to skate) and the UK have plenty of permanent rinks.

Why don't we any in the Republic?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Depending on your level of cynicism, it could be argued that it's because you can't get a drinks license there. This is Ireland after all.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Be a market for it.
    Dundonald ice bowl in Belfast is always jammers.
    Has kids play area , climbing , laser quest etc etc.
    Something similar would work in Dublin.
    Get an ice hockey league and join the one the Belfast Giants are in and your away.
    Surprised it hasnt been done yet, anyone got a few million spare?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Me and a few of the lads went to a Ice Hockey 101 night in Whistler two weeks ago and we were all hooked, considering we had barely (if ever) been on real ice, it was class! They went through all the rules, skating techniques etc and most importantly, how to fight. Apparently there is a right and wrong way

Went back two days later for the next night and got a game going with some locals - they were far better than us but it didn't really matter.

I would definitely take it up if it was available in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

There used to be two permanent rinks Dublin, about 20 years ago i think, one in Phibsboro the other in Dolphins Barn. Both had a 'rough' crowd going to it and never really took off have since been replaced with shops/apartments.

There may be a market out there for one in this day and age, but you'd have to ask why some one hasn't done it in the last 20 years. May be that the cost of maintenance, insurance etc is just to high to make a decent ROI (similar to why we don't have a 'fridge' for skiing and boarding and probably never will have sadly)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

The place in Dundalk is still closed is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Bit of a discussion about this on the radio today. A chap talking about travelling up with a team to Belfast to get the use of a rink, getting there for a slot at c 10 pm, back at 2 or 3 in the morning. Very dedicated but all deriving from lack of an Irish rink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

It would be great to have one here, but I'd say the insurance would be a killer. I went to the one in the 'barn when I was a kid. It was full of unsavoury types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I was in the one in Dolphins Barn and the one in Phibsboro. My outstanding memory is of melty bits on particular parts of the ice that made it slushy and difficult to skate there. Bit rough too. But mostly just a bit sort of sad, run down, cold, not really a place youd hang around too long. No pizzazz.

The Christmas temporary ones are always in nicer places and have a bit of festive cheer going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Icefan

From what I've heard, the rinks that have been set up have been very much cowboy jobs and poorly run. Seems that there might be enthusiasm but very little business sense. Remember going to Silverskate in Phibsboro during the early 1990s and the ice surface being hideous with loads of unsavoury types whizzing around smoking and drinking cans.

Came across a page on Facebook called "Ice for Ireland" and it was interesting/depressing that they were showing all the places that had permanent rinks while we have none.

Advertisement