Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calisthenics - Dublin 4

Options
  • 08-02-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hello All, I live in the Dublin 4 area and I am planning on lobbying one or more local councilors to get a small calisthenics area in either Ringsend Park or Herbert Park. I was thinking in terms of a couple of pull-up bars (different heights), a set of dip bars and maybe adult monkey bars. If any one has any suggestions of any other equipment, I'd be interested.

Anyway, I am looking for people who live in or near the Dublin 4 area who are interested in calisthenics and would use such a facility to leave a post on this thread saying as much and stating which park would be their preference.

I'm hoping I'll get a decent amount of people expressing an interest so that I can then send a link to this thread to the councilors I contact and show them that there are people who will appreciate and use this facility.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

You'll likely be told that this type of equipment has already been installed on the Sandymount beach walkways... That said, you can never have too much exercise equipment. I would vote Herbert Park, since Ringsend Park is a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,592 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You'll likely be told that this type of equipment has already been installed on the Sandymount beach walkways... That said, you can never have too much exercise equipment. I would vote Herbert Park, since Ringsend Park is a kip.

Would agree with this.

But they have a couple of playgrounds in Herbert Park so the main problem is that DCC would, I assume, see it as a playground for adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Malpaisian

I've never really looked closely at the equipment in Sandymount. In my opinion, this outdoor gym type of equipment is useful only to people who are aged 60+ . It does not offer anything near enough resistance if you are in any way young and strong. Do they have proper pull bars and dip bars in Sandymount?

Thanks guys. The idea was to be able to send them a link to a thread showing them that there are people who would use such facility not a thread telling them why they'll say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yep, I live in D4 and would love something like this. I don't mind which park, I'm about the same distance from both. You can count me in.

I wonder if you could try find a callisthenics coach(es) to help lobby. I know there's a PCC training weekend in May in Dundalk, there's probably a few going to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I live in Dublin 4 and I would like this too - you can count on me for support. Herbert or Ringsend, or both.

I hear loads of people say Ringsend Park is a kip, and I just don't get it. I live halfway between Ringsend and Herbert, but I honestly prefer to do my activities in Ringsend. I run there a couple of times a week, and play tennis there, and also just walk sometimes.
    Yeah, there are sometimes head-the-balls smoking joints or whatever, but they're always well-behaved, in my experience.
    There's always lots of people of all ages participating in loads of different sports, walking dogs, and enjoying the park - and I'm happy to be one of them!

quaalude wrote: »
    I live in Dublin 4 and I would like this too - you can count on me for support. Herbert or Ringsend, or both.

I hear loads of people say Ringsend Park is a kip, and I just don't get it. I live halfway between Ringsend and Herbert, but I honestly prefer to do my activities in Ringsend. I run there a couple of times a week, and play tennis there, and also just walk sometimes.
    Yeah, there are sometimes head-the-balls smoking joints or whatever, but they're always well-behaved, in my experience.
    There's always lots of people of all ages participating in loads of different sports, walking dogs, and enjoying the park - and I'm happy to be one of them!

Good to hear it. As for Ringsend Park - I walk my dog there every day and it is not a kip, but during the summer it can get a bit unsightly because very large gangs of teenagers drink there all night. The burn tyres, burn the contents of bins and leave the place strewn with beer cans and bottles.

Yep, I live in D4 and would love something like this. I don't mind which park, I'm about the same distance from both. You can count me in.

I wonder if you could try find a callisthenics coach(es) to help lobby. I know there's a PCC training weekend in May in Dundalk, there's probably a few going to that.

I know there is a club who meet in a couple of different park locations around Dublin called "Paddy's Bars". They were on Facebook a while ago. I'll check and see if they still are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

I would 100% be up for this, even to organise doing it a few nights a week and if we manage to get some proper equipment installed thats a bonus. I have never properly got into calisthenics but am relatively fit and would love to try it out, beats the gym and coming into the longer evenings its perfect.

I started giving it a go when I lived out in Bray, I used to go to Shanganah Park and run to each exercise point. They had proper pull up bars, dipping bars and monkey bars but it was a pity you had to run to each point. What that park has would be great around D4 as I live in grand canal now and run most mornings.

Most people have probably heard from it through Frank Medrano and recently I've started seeing the Freeletics website/app which could be good motivation. Haven't heard of anyone coaching it but I can ask a friend who is mad into fitness and see if he has heard of anything. As for location I would prefer Ringsend but both are close, I just like the idea of it being near the sea and seems more open for getting something installed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

There is a guy out towards Shankill/Loughlinstown direction called Jamie something who runs a group called cult calisthenics. Seems like he knows what he's at.

• Advertisement

Malpaisian wrote: »
    I know there is a club who meet in a couple of different park locations around Dublin called "Paddy's Bars". They were on Facebook a while ago. I'll check and see if they still are.

Did you ever find out if they are still operating? There is a post from them dated Feb 2015 so I reckon they must still be around?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

malin182 wrote: »
    Did you ever find out if they are still operating? There is a post from them dated Feb 2015 so I reckon they must still be around?

Would love to know is there any group or decent gym to join to get into calisthenics around dublin. Started to work things like muscle ups and flag (attempts) into my exercise routine, would love to progress on this kind of stuff a bit.

Is there anywhere close to the D4 area we could even drive to which has this sort of equipment? Does anyone know if the like of Fairview park or St Annes park has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

Sandymount strand has dip bars, pull up stations & a few other bits & pieces. Cabinteely park has a good set up too. Closest to D4 as dar as I know.

MattD1349 wrote: »
    Sandymount strand has dip bars, pull up stations & a few other bits & pieces. Cabinteely park has a good set up too. Closest to D4 as dar as I know.

Yeah they do I was checking it out driving past this morning. The dip bars are there but it would be better to have long parallel bars at hip level. Similarly the pull-up bars are only for one person at a time, three sets at multiple levels are available. I found a website (possibly the one the councils use) that do a good package. I emailed dub city council to see if they would consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 benbutton

I'd been thinking of lobbying DCC about this also but I just assumed I'd be ignored. Glad to know there are others with the same idea and more drive than me to get things done :)
    I live close to Herbert park so would prefer it there and I think there are a lot of suitable areas in the park for calisthenics equipment.
    My only fear is that DCC would make a balls of it, I hate the way the equipment in deer park in mount merrion is spread throughout the whole park.
    It needs to be contained in one area like you see in the American parks and in mainland Europe. And they need to consult with end users about what equipment to install, some of that clunky stuff on sandymount strand is fairly useless. If they install poor equipment it'll just remain unused and be a waste of money.
    Calisthenics is such a great alternative to crowded gyms and there no mirrors for lads to be checking themselves out :)
    I really got sick of the gym with ppl standing around chatting in crowded weights areas, not racking weights etc that I started looking for alternatives and I came across the likes of frank medrano as mentioned earlier in the thread and youtube channels like corey hall and doninick sky who have enviable equipment in their gardens. I'd love to have access to the same equipment so I'm right behind you here in this endeavour.

benbutton, the equipment I was suggesting was this:

http://www.onlyoutdoors.ie/packages/3-piece-calisthenics-set.html

But perhaps someone else has a better suggestion? It would be better to have a more complex setup but not sure if it would be available in Ireland. This crowd seem to be the main players for these installations around Ireland. I sent them another mail there to keep the pressure on them. I don't think its too much to ask to have it done, on the scale of things its not costing much!

Hi Malin; I also came across that website when searching for calisthenics equipment in Ireland, seems a bit limited but it would be a good start.

Ideally if the funds were there and we could get somebody like-minded in DCC on board, I was thinking something like this park in Maastricht.

{It won't let me post a URL as I'm a new user but it's the first image if you google "calisthenics park maastricht"}

Great equipment for such a small city. I think the better quality the equipment the more likely people are to use it.

If you've ever been out in Deer Park in Mount Merrion they actually have a lot of the same equipment as the park in Maastricht - monkey bars, parallel bars, two levels of cross bars (although neither is high enough for chinups, one is chest high and the other is waist high), those bars a foot above the ground (not sure what they are actually for, I just do incline pushups on them). The only annoying thing is that they are spread out around the whole park.
    So there must be a company that the council has a relationship with that can provide a wider range of equipment, although I think Deer Park may be administered by DLR rather than DCC.

By the way I don't want to give the impression that I'm an expereinced calisthenics user, I'd be a beginner but it's something I'd love to get more in to.

Response from DCC:

"I will have a quick chat with the Parks Superintendent for the area in the coming days in relation to what you have sent on.

I am aware that some Outdoor Gym equipment was put into Sandymount Strand recently.

Dublin City Council will be putting in 7 'one stop' shop outdoor gyms across Dublin City within the next year.

It will also be making a Sports Capital Application for a 'one stop shop' outdoor gym in Ringsend Park in the upcoming application process (due for submission on the 24th April). This information is currently being compiled. The focus of the Outdoor Gyms within Dublin City Council Parks will be very much geared towards non-traditional users - older adults and young people. Please see below the type of equipment envisaged for these parks :

· Recumbent Bike Outdoor Exercise Station

· Chest Press & Seated Row Outdoor Exercise Station

· Leg Press & Abdominal Bench Outdoor Exercise Station

· Dips & Leg Raise Outdoor Exercise Station

· Cross Trainer Outdoor Exercise Station

· Shoulder Press & Lat Pull Down Outdoor Exercise Station

Having had a quick look at the link below, the exercise equipment being proposed is very much geared towards already 'active users'. There is merit in this, but currently it would not be the primary focus of the outdoor gyms being installed. As advised, I will have a chat with the relevant Parks Superintendent and will also speak to the City Parks Superintendent in relation to same.

Regards

Bruce"

Good thing they're not running a business with logic like that; install equipment for people less likely to exercise but don't provide anything suitable for those who exercise a lot. How does that strategy make any sense?

I'm sure they think that if "we build it they will come" and it will encourage ppl who aren't "active users" to start exercising but that shouldn't come at the expense of those who don't need to be encouraged but still need some equipment to use.

And plus I very much doubt installing these types of parks suddenly encourages loads of ppl to take up exercise who normally wouldn't, lack of equipment was never the main cause for people not exercising.

• Advertisement

Well in the meantime I went and bought a door pullup bar with several different handles. I have realised I need to seriously build up my strength! Anyone got any websites they can recommend for making up a program of calistenics at home? I have found this website I will probably use for the time being:

http://bodyweighttrainingarena.com/

Kris on the calisthenics and weight training channel on youtube puts up some great vids for both beginners and advanced (still not allowed to post a link here but if you search calisthenics and weight training his channel comes up at the top). Amazing the stuff he can do but he also has good exercises for just starting out.

Corey Hall and Dominick Sky are two other guys with really good channels.

I have one of those door mounted chin up bars too, a removable one called iron gym, great thing to have.

benbutton wrote: »
    Kris on the calisthenics and weight training channel on youtube puts up some great vids for both beginners and advanced (still not allowed to post a link here but if you search calisthenics and weight training his channel comes up at the top). Amazing the stuff he can do but he also has good exercises for just starting out.

Corey Hall and Dominick Sky are two other guys with really good channels.

I have one of those door mounted chin up bars too, a removable one called iron gym, great thing to have.

Yeah its essentially the iron gym I got. Great thanks ill focus on these videos for the time being

Hi all,

I since writing previous posts, I know a guy who is into all this, we have been doing a few training sessions and it's going well. He is looking to see if others are interested and get a group started.

We were at sandy mount last Sunday near the dips and pull-up bars. Unfortunately not much there but it's something. We also bring dumbells along. He lives on the north side and I'm central so don't want to stray too far out of the way.

If you are inferested let me know, he is providing more of a personal training class and is looking to charge only 10 per session. He also has a small restaurant called superfoods takeaway, it's located on the bottom floor of Moore st mall (unfortunately really hidden) and he is willing to bring along meals for after training, all in for about €16 a session.

If anyone has other places to suggest as well? With evening getting darker again we need somewhere with light.

malin182 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I since writing previous posts, I know a guy who is into all this, we have been doing a few training sessions and it's going well. He is looking to see if others are interested and get a group started.

We were at sandy mount last Sunday near the dips and pull-up bars. Unfortunately not much there but it's something. We also bring dumbells along. He lives on the north side and I'm central so don't want to stray too far out of the way.

If you are inferested let me know, he is providing more of a personal training class and is looking to charge only 10 per session. He also has a small restaurant called superfoods takeaway, it's located on the bottom floor of Moore st mall (unfortunately really hidden) and he is willing to bring along meals for after training, all in for about €16 a session.

If anyone has other places to suggest as well? With evening getting darker again we need somewhere with light.

Hello,

I only checked back in on this thread now so I'm only seeing your post now. Yeah sounds good. I'd be interested. I wouldn't be able to start for another couple of weeks but I'd definitely be interested. Just be warned, I'm an "older" guy, 46 years of age, so I might not be as capable as others. I have however been training with gym rings on a semi-regular basis over the past year so I do have some ability. If there is something safe to suspend them from and we could incorporate them in to the training. I usually suspend them from a goal post or a sturdy and reasonably horizontal and reachable branch of a tree.

If we are talking about the Sandymount / D4 area, I can't think of anywhere else that would be suitable for calesthenics training. Nowhere with dip bars and pull-up bars together anyway. As for other areas -There are adult monkey bars and dip bars in Deer Park in Mount Merrion but no proper pull-up bars which allow for a wide grip. Cabinteely park has pull-up bars, monkey bars and long dip bars which are inclined. I've often thought that a group should get together and lobby for a decent calesthenics park in a reasonably central location in Dublin, like the ones you see in parks in Russia or the US. They are far more useful than those stupid outdoor gym machines they are wasting money on everywhere now and would cost far less.

Anyway, let me know if it looks like there is some interest and it's going ahead.

Hello,

I only checked back in on this thread now so I'm only seeing your post now. Yeah sounds good. I'd be interested. I wouldn't be able to start for another couple of weeks but I'd definitely be interested. Just be warned, I'm an "older" guy, 46 years of age, so I might not be as capable as others. I have however been training with gym rings on a semi-regular basis over the past year so I do have some ability. If there is something safe to suspend them from and we could incorporate them in to the training. I usually suspend them from a goal post or a sturdy and reasonably horizontal and reachable branch of a tree.

If we are talking about the Sandymount / D4 area, I can't think of anywhere else that would be suitable for calesthenics training. Nowhere with dip bars and pull-up bars together anyway. As for other areas -There are adult monkey bars and dip bars in Deer Park in Mount Merrion but no proper pull-up bars which allow for a wide grip. Cabinteely park has pull-up bars, monkey bars and long dip bars which are inclined. I've often thought that a group should get together and lobby for a decent calesthenics park in a reasonably central location in Dublin, like the ones you see in parks in Russia or the US. They are far more useful than those stupid outdoor gym machines they are wasting money on everywhere now and would cost far less.

Anyway, let me know if it looks like there is some interest and it's going ahead.

Yes we will probably be starting properly on the 4th September as Daniel is away for the next week. Sandymount has both dip and pull up bar, not the most ideal pull up bar but it will work. Also have the beach to do a warm up run.

Absolutely no restrictions on age, I am 30 only starting properly myself and there is another guy around 40 who should be joining as well.

Cabinteely would be perfect, although it's a bit too far for us. I think there is or at least was a callisthenics class there at some stage. Shanganagh park is also very good, they are scattered around the park so good to run to each one etc.

Our get together will involve all types of muscle focused exercises, with weights, and body weight. If you have dumbells bring them along, so there's less waiting around between sets. Perhaps we can think of pitching in money for more equipment at some stage of thing develop.

I won't be able to make the 4th of Sept but should be able to make the next session after that.I don't have dumbells but I can bring 16, 24 and 32 kg kettlebells.

I won't be able to make the 4th of Sept but should be able to make the next session after that.I don't have dumbells but I can bring 16, 24 and 32 kg kettlebells.

Hey guys so we are meeting this coming Sunday the 11th September at 8pm at sandy mount for the first work out. Bring towels, water and weights with you, we will give it a go and see how things go.

Daniel and Mark are the names, hope to see you there, in the car park beside the pull-up bars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Hope to make it!

i attending two of these classes using meetup but then the group disbanded

so defo interested in taking part and D4 is near to me

• Advertisement

Sorry for the late notice but will be there from 7 this evening as it will probably be getting dark at 8.

Advertisement