Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Program Advice please

Options
  • 09-02-2015 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

Mon
    Snatch 55%x5x3
    Squat 5rm
    Pull-ups Bwx6x2
    Tue
    Powerclean 80%x3x3
    Bench 70%x3x5
    Pull-ups Bwx7x2
    Thur
    Snatch 80%x3x3
    Front Squat 5rm
    Pull-ups Bwx8x2
    Fri
    Powerclean 55%x5x3
    Deadlift 75%x3x3
    Pull-ups Bwx6x3

6wk cycle
    everything increases 2.5% each week test week 7 for new 1RM
    Pull-ups are cycled 6x2,7x2,8x2/6x3,7x3,8x3 etc etc

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Is there a question?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

Hanley wrote: »
    Is there a question?

Does it look ok I guess?
    Would you change anything?
    Goals are strength increase in the Oly lifts which would hopefully carry over to everything else but they are the main objective!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No full cleans or jerks and no vertical pressing present!!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No full cleans or jerks and no vertical pressing present!!

My apologies the "powerclean" listed is a clean, caught in the squat position.

Where or why would I include overhead press?

I've no interest in the jerk

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

hurlsey wrote: »
    Goals are strength increase in the Oly lifts which would hopefully carry over to everything else but they are the main objective!!

If you've no interest in the jerk then it's the snatch and the clean, as opposed to the Oly lifts per se, that you want to increase.

As for the 'why' in relation to overhead pressing stronger shoulders and triceps would carry over to your bench pressing. Though LL meant it in relation to improving the jerk part of the C&J, no doubt.

• Advertisement

If you've no interest in the jerk then it's the snatch and the clean, as opposed to the Oly lifts per se, that you want to increase.

As for the 'why' in relation to overhead pressing stronger shoulders and triceps would carry over to your bench pressing. Though LL meant it in relation to improving the jerk part of the C&J, no doubt.

Ah ok, I should've been clearer in my OP!!

As a "general" program it looks ok. Assuming you've a decent amount of muscle on you, have good technique in the relevant lifts, and it's a training phase focusing specifically on skills acquisition and enhancement, rather than a long term thing.

..it's REALLY hard to give a proper answer on these without knowing all the variables tbh.

I'd be interested to see you come back in 7 weeks and tell US if it was good.

Don't be afraid to change your %s on the fly. The volume and intensity might start to beat you up.

Well, even if he's no interest in the jerk he should still be pressing a barbell over his head imo. :) It's a plain of movement otherwise ignored, and there's a lot of vertical pulling in there as is.

Well, even if he's no interest in the jerk he should still be pressing a barbell over his head imo. :) It's a plain of movement otherwise ignored, and there's a lot of vertical pulling in there as is.

100%

And I'd have said there's a lack of horizontal pulling as well.

• Advertisement

100%

And I'd have said there's a lack of horizontal pulling as well.

Well, you could argue that cleaning or snatching each training session makes up for that for - assuming good form on the first pull - you're working that plain of movement. Most Oly specific programs that I've seen don't include horizontal rowing separately for that reason.

Well, you could argue that cleaning or snatching each training session makes up for that for - assuming good form on the first pull - you're working that plain of movement. Most Oly specific programs that I've seen don't include horizontal rowing separately for that reason.

You could and the only reason I thought to add it was the fact that he wants a carryover to everything else so I thought if it wasn't entirely Oly specific, then it might be no harm to include.

Thought I'd give a quick update, program was altered slightly, I'm in week 4 of 6 now, week 7 is still test week

Mon
    Squat 3x5
    Snact 4x3@55%
    PullUps (as OP)
    Rear Db fly
    Plank

Tue
    Clean 2/1x2@80/85%
    Bench 4x6
    Bench row 4x6
    Arms 4x8
    Plank

Wed
    Snatch 2/1x2@80%
    Pull-ups (as OP)
    O/H press 4x6
    Rear Db fly
    Plank

Fri
    Squat 3x5
    Clean 4x3@55%
    Pull-ups (as OP)
    Arms 4x8
    Plank

It's going well after test week I'll post my original RMs and New RMs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Do the snatch / clean before squatting on Monday and Friday. Those percentages are for technical work I'm guessing, better to hit that stuff with fresh legs.

Hanley wrote: »
    ..it's REALLY hard to give a proper answer on these without knowing all the variables tbh.

I'd be interested to see you come back in 7 weeks and tell US if it was good.

Don't be afraid to change your %s on the fly. The volume and intensity might start to beat you up.

Test week this week, Hanley asked for me to judge if it was good, so far I'm very happy but ill post 1rms start and finish at the end of the week!

Test week this week, Hanley asked for me to judge if it was good, so far I'm very happy but ill post 1rms start and finish at the end of the week!

Class. Make sure you tell us starting and finishing points.

Good luck on test day!

Well so far I've tested the Clean, Squat, Bench and bench row

Clean**
    old 1RM 70kg - NEW 1RM 77.5kg
    Squat
    old 1RM 110kg - NEW 1RM 130kg
    Bench
    old 1RM 70kg - NEW 1RM 82.5kg
    Row
    old 1RM 60kg - NEW 1RM 72.5kg

**clean did not go as well as I had hoped, I'm very disappointed with it to be honest, I've still got the Snatch, Deadlift, Overhead and PullUps left

Tested Snatch
    Old 1RM 45kg - NEW 1RM 57.5kg

Retested the clean
    Old 1RM 70kg - NEW 1RM 85kg, extremely happy, not sure what happened on the first test!!

Good job!

have a look at this calculator and it'll give ya an idea of what to focus on going forward (the squat is the most important though!). There are no absolutes but a 130 back squat should lead to (ballpark):

Total 181
    Snatch 80
    Clean and Jerk 100
    Power Snatch 66
    Power Clean 82
    Power Jerk 95
    Front Squat 112
    Back Squat 130
    Pull 135

You should probably front squat now.

Tested deadlift and overhead

Deadlift
    old 1RM 135 - NEW 1RM 152.5kg

Overhead
    1RM 52.5kg

• Advertisement

How new to weight training are you?

How new to weight training are you?

Well I started 6 years ago, but up until 7 weeks ago I hadn't done anything in a year!! This was due to work, and then laziness!! Can't go back but I have set goals to get back to where I was and then where I want to be!!

Ah okay, given that you're returning to training from a long layoff it explains the large progressions over the course of six weeks.

Unfortunately it means you're a poor candidate to speak for how effective a training program is right now however! You'll recover a lot of strength very quickly just be looking at the bar. :)

Ah okay, given that you're returning to training from a long layoff it explains the large progressions over the course of six weeks.

Unfortunately it means you're a poor candidate to speak for how effective a training program is right now however! You'll recover a lot of strength very quickly just be looking at the bar. :)

Taking my new 1rms I have another 6 week cycle to get through and another test week! Getting back to where I was before the layoff I'd like to hit
    Squat 155kgx1
    DL 180kgx1
    Bench 110kgx1

Clean 100kgx1
    Snatch 75kgx1

Row and O/head have never been tested before so

Obviously I'm not going to hit those numbers at the end of this cycle but hopefully I'll put another dent in my targets!

This what the next 6 weeks look like

Mon
    Hang Snatch 70%x3x3
    Squat 4x6
    Bench 4x6
    PullUps
    Plank

Tue
    Clean 85%x3x2
    O/h 4x6
    Bench Row 4x6
    Arms
    Plank

Wed
    Snatch 85%x3x2
    Bench 5x8
    PullUps
    Plank

Fri
    Hang Clean 70%x3x3
    Front Squat 4x6
    Bench Row 4x6
    Arms
    Plank

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Edwardius wrote: »
    Good job!

have a look at this calculator and it'll give ya an idea of what to focus on going forward (the squat is the most important though!). There are no absolutes but a 130 back squat should lead to (ballpark):

Total 181
    Snatch 80
    Clean and Jerk 100
    Power Snatch 66
    Power Clean 82
    Power Jerk 95
    Front Squat 112
    Back Squat 130
    Pull 135

You should probably front squat now.

What does the "Pull" here refer to?
    Looks too light to be a deadlift - based on the (high bar?) back squat, and the clean.
    But it's a looks a bit high to be a clean pull, but maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Mellor wrote: »
    What does the "Pull" here refer to?
    Looks too light to be a deadlift - based on the (high bar?) back squat, and the clean.
    But it's a looks a bit high to be a clean pull, but maybe not.

I would say it probably refers to a clean deadlift.

http://www.catalystathletics.com/exercise/176/Clean-Deadlift/

This what the next 6 weeks look like

Mon
    Hang Snatch 70%x3x3
    Squat 4x6
    Bench 4x6
    PullUps
    Plank

Tue
    Clean 85%x3x2
    O/h 4x6
    Bench Row 4x6
    Arms
    Plank

Wed
    Snatch 85%x3x2
    Bench 5x8
    PullUps
    Plank

Fri
    Hang Clean 70%x3x3
    Front Squat 4x6
    Bench Row 4x6
    Arms
    Plank

After the first week, notably Monday,
    I feel I may have moved too soon so %s on Mon-snatch and Fri-clean are being dropped to 55%, primarily for technique work and recovery! Also Tue-Clean and Wed-Snatch are dropping to 80 or 82.5%!!

After the first week, notably Monday,
    I feel I may have moved too soon so %s on Mon-snatch and Fri-clean are being dropped to 55%, primarily for technique work and recovery! Also Tue-Clean and Wed-Snatch are dropping to 80 or 82.5%!!

Good call. Are you progressing the weighs at all? say the 85% snatch... or do you plan on keeping the weight the same over the weeks?

For the likes of doubles, if you're ok technically, 80% ish is a good starting point, it should be easy on a good day and possible on a bad one.

You need to leave a little leeway for the olympic lifts because there's more voodoo present than the likes of squats etc, finding the "useful" working range can be a little difficult. Usually I'd define a starting point for a particular session and let people feel it out as the session progresses. For the technical stuff... start at 55% (as you said) and pay very close attention to the movement, push it a little if everything is technically perfect, maybe 60-65% ish, 70 is getting into "work" territory, but your 70% on a bad day could be 60% on a good day...

For the "strength" (80%+) stuff, do the same but instead of focusing on perfection (perfection is nice and all but this is where you want to strengthen the movement), focus on the exertion. If you feel like you need to sell your mother to make the second rep, the weight is too high. If you're breezing through them then ratchet the weight up just before the point where you'd start to worry.

That might look a little fluffy/airy-fairy but it's born of a fair few programming mistakes I made in the past!

• Advertisement

Edwardius wrote: »
    Good call. Are you progressing the weighs at all? say the 85% snatch... or do you plan on keeping the weight the same over the weeks?

For the likes of doubles, if you're ok technically, 80% ish is a good starting point, it should be easy on a good day and possible on a bad one.

You need to leave a little leeway for the olympic lifts because there's more voodoo present than the likes of squats etc, finding the "useful" working range can be a little difficult. Usually I'd define a starting point for a particular session and let people feel it out as the session progresses. For the technical stuff... start at 55% (as you said) and pay very close attention to the movement, push it a little if everything is technically perfect, maybe 60-65% ish, 70 is getting into "work" territory, but your 70% on a bad day could be 60% on a good day...

For the "strength" (80%+) stuff, do the same but instead of focusing on perfection (perfection is nice and all but this is where you want to strengthen the movement), focus on the exertion. If you feel like you need to sell your mother to make the second rep, the weight is too high. If you're breezing through them then ratchet the weight up just before the point where you'd start to worry.

That might look a little fluffy/airy-fairy but it's born of a fair few programming mistakes I made in the past!

I'm going to leave it at 80% for 2 weeks an push it out then, did 55% today on the cleans and my technique felt solid(to me) I'm happy enough going forward test week again in another 5 weeks so we'll see how in progressing then

On another note did front squat today, needs work wasn't able to go as heavy as I thought I would!!

Advertisement