Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got a job, some questions about moving?

Options
  • 09-02-2015 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all

Know i posted about moving to UK some time ago, well now, thankfully, I've secured a job. There is no rush on me starting from the employers point of view which is great for me, now wondering some things about moving over

The job is based in Manchester, not city centre but a suburb, Didsbury, wondering where's good to live that's easy to comute from as Didsbury itself very very expensive.
    I want to move over a good bit before I start to get my barings, but wonder how much i'll need on a weekly basis to live etc?
    Any advice would be great.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Congratulations!!

Yeah, Didsbury ain't cheap. I'd say it's the most expensive part of town save for Hale. I'd take a look at Sale, Altrincham, Timperley and Withington. Also, check out the Metrolink. It's Manchester's tram system which will likely be quicker than buses though packed and probably dearer. Chorlton has a fair few Irish so that might be worth a look as might Deansgate and the Northern Quarter if you'd fancy being more central.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Congratulations!!

Yeah, Didsbury ain't cheap. I'd say it's the most expensive part of town save for Hale. I'd take a look at Sale, Altrincham, Timperley and Withington. Also, check out the Metrolink. It's Manchester's tram system which will likely be quicker than buses though packed and probably dearer. Chorlton has a fair few Irish so that might be worth a look as might Deansgate and the Northern Quarter if you'd fancy being more central.

Sale and Altrincham are quite difficult to get to from Didsbury though, reckon staying along the Didsbury, Chorlton/Withington Corridor would be a better shout.

Also Didsbury is at the end of Europe's busiest bus corridor so it's pretty fast from city to suburbs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sale and Altrincham are quite difficult to get to from Didsbury though, reckon staying along the Didsbury, Chorlton/Withington Corridor would be a better shout.

Also Didsbury is at the end of Europe's busiest bus corridor so it's pretty fast from city to suburbs.

Forgot to mention that. Manchester's transport is pretty terrible in that regard. I had to get a taxi once to get to Didsbury.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Long time since I lived in Manc. West Didsbury used to be a bit cheaper than Didsbury and is a nice place. The buses are reliable enough (or were) and as the OP hinted, there seem to be 30 buses per hour.

Definitely look along the tram lines as they are reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Depending on where in Didsbury, you could look to travel to the railway station at East Didsbury or Burnage

• Advertisement
Advertisement