Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablets for 2-3 year old

Options
  • 09-02-2015 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

My little fella is turning two and I wanted to get him a tablet. No I'm not that crazy type that thinks he should have an ipad. but we are going to Orlando in the summer and I thought it might be handy on the plane. Or in the car when we drive from Dublin down to granny's in Galway. Ideally would like to put cartoons on it too.

has anyone any experience of the likes of the VTech Innotab? Or what would the best route to go be? I don't really think we should go the android route as I whilst the apps are fun I wouldnt have thought they were particularly educational.

any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My just gone 2 year old just uses ours,he only gets it sometimes.
    I think he will be too young to use an innotab or a leap pad.
    As for the Android apps not being educational..I think you should go look at what is available for Android devices 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Have you thought about getting a tablet for yourself and then just letting him use it as need be on these journeys, etc?

There are tons of eduactional apps on both Apple and Android platforms. My daughter has been using mine on and off since she was 3, the painting app can give her hours of amusement. You can of course also have lots of cartoons etc also on it, very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Part my logic on this is that I currently have an android tab. But at 10.1 inches would be a little too big in his hands. Especially with a big child proof case. It's also likely to get traded for an ipad as I've moved to iphone. So it leaves me in the position of buying him his own 7 inch android tablet (which seams a bit strange) or a more child friendly option.

Well has anyone used the Kurio tab 7? Also would like to know what android apps anyone found useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

My 2 year old started on my I pad and android phone. She got a leappad 2 from Santa.
    She plays with the leappad , but stills prefers the I pad.
    The I pad is faster and apps are much better than leap pad games, and easier to use.
    The leappad 2 is s great size for a 2 year old, it is a good bit smaller than the leappad ultra which my 4 year old has, and not much difference between them, except the ultra can connect to wi fi. It is pretty much indestructible. The games are very expensive - €16. I got the leappad 2 at half price (€51) in Argos before Christmas, but there are loads on adverts too, with games.

If you have an old I phone or android phone you could just use that. Put a chunky rubber cover on it, download some cartoons, and loads of free apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

If you have an old I phone or android phone you could just use that. Put a chunky rubber cover on it, download some cartoons, and loads of free apps.
    That's ideal to get started. Far harder to break, and possibly something you have lying around.
    OP, if you moved over to iphone from Galaxy S4, give me a shout.
    I have an almost bulletproof case for one that I'm not using and you're welcome to it!!

niallb wrote: »
    That's ideal to get started. Far harder to break, and possibly something you have lying around.
    OP, if you moved over to iphone from Galaxy S4, give me a shout.
    I have an almost bulletproof case for one that I'm not using and you're welcome to it!!

Thanks. But I moved from HTC one M8 to Iphone (thats a story for a different forum). So nothing old to give him. The Tab 2 is going to be be too big and heavy for him. Maybe a 2012 Nexus 7? I see them going cheap on expansys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

peteb2 wrote: »
    Thanks. But I moved from HTC one M8 to Iphone (thats a story for a different forum). So nothing old to give him. The Tab 2 is going to be be too big and heavy for him. Maybe a 2012 Nexus 7? I see them going cheap on expansys.

Well I have HTC desire, got loads of free apps on it and 2 year old can use it no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Why dont you pick up a second hand 4th or 5th gen ipod touch. My lads are three and fly around their ipod touches. Loads of educational games for their colours and numbers etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Pick up a cheap Android phone on adverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

If you want to go the tablet route, take a look out for a Nabi 2.
    They're designed to be pretty shockproof and even come with a solid silicone bumper.
    They also come packed up with educational software.
    They're surprisingly nippy, and have a custom front end for small kids.
    You can turn that off when they get older, and my two 11 year olds still enjoy them immensely.

I picked them up on adverts very reasonably, and I know two other people who've also got them on adverts after seeing ours.

They were selling them in Smyths for €160, but they're clearing the last few at €50 if you can locate one, and that's a better price than you'll get second hand!
    All Dublin stores seem to be out, though they have some at that price in Headford Rd, Galway at least if you know anyone down that way.
    Their stock checking page for it is here - Nabi 2 @Smyths

The ipod touch is another good suggestion, and lots of cases available there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Can anybody recommend some good entertaining and educational apps/games for a 2yr old on Android? worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bear this recent story from Derry in mind when letting your little 'un use a tablet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-31054245

Advertisement