Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transportation of firearm in Ireland

Options
  • 09-02-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I am looking through the legislation but cannot find. I need to send a restricted pistol to a RFD for a repair. He is in Dublin. Can I send by another means beside getting in the car myself? Can a third party like a courier deliver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Best bet would probably be to phone the RFD for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Third party couriers can deliver, section 2(3)(d) covers them:
    ( d ) the possession or carriage of a firearm or ammunition in the ordinary course of business by a person engaged in the business of carrying or of warehousing goods for reward;
    But not many of them will deliver. Some of the other lads on here will know who does and who doesn't at the moment, it's not something I've had to do myself for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Fastways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Fastways

As above, they will do it for €15 euro and are approved to do so as far as I know.

Personally, I remove the bolt or a working part from the Firearm if it is not necessary for the repair and if it is, I ship it recorded and separately.

In the unfortunate situation that something didn't go right (courier van crashes, package mislaid, etc.) , at least you can show you took reasonable measures to ensure it was done in a safe manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

If its any way driveable take it yourself. Pm me if you want to know the specifics but a courier is a risky move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭moreau118

Got a rifle sent with dpd before

Advertisement