Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Water Suit

• 09-02-2015 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Hi, Apologies if this question has been asked a million times - I have looked in the triathalon and running sections already and everyone gives a different answer.

I am looking for a wetsuit/tri-suit for sea swimming from Spring to Autumn. I will be swimming for fitness only - I won't be racing, maybe the odd triathalon for fun.

I love swimming, but I hate freezing in the water. So, I am looking for a suit that will allow me to swim in the sea between say April and October without freezing my rear end (or any other essential part) off.

Oh, and my budget is only about €150, so I don't think I can afford one of the all-singing all-dancing tri-suits they are discussion over on the triathalon pages.

Any ideas? (I'm in Cork, but travel to Dublin regularly so can go to shops there too).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

If you are going to do a triathlon or aquathon then you need a wetsuit as a prerequisite to race. The key to a wetsuit is it has to fit snuggly and you can only figure that out by going to a shop and trying one on. You might find more online for your budget but a badly fitting suit is worse than no suit (except it might keep most of you warm while you choke and splutter)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Hi, yes I agree I definitely need a suit of some kind. But which one? I have looked on the triathlon and running forums. Some people say you can't swim in a traditional wetsuit, so get a tri-suit. Some others say that a tri-suit ain't warm enough for the Irish seas. So, I'm just wondering if the people in this swimming forum have any ideas of (a) what type of wetsuit to get and (b) what make/model might be suitable for someone like me who doesn't need the top-of-the-range super-duper racing model.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I have a tri suit, which is a one piece garment which pads me on the bike but which I can also use for the run and means I dont get disqualified in T2 (no need to change). It is not really relevant to my swimming.
    I have a swim specifc wetsuit. It is a Blue Seventy Sprint which when I bought it was pretty much an entry level suit. As a mediocre, middle aged 'athlete' it does what I need it to do - keeps me warm, bouyant and does wonders for my otherwise awful body position
    When people say you cant swim in a wetsuite they probably mean in a surfing wetsuit or a diving one and when they say get a tri suit they probablly mean a swim specific wetsuit. Check out Base2Race website - you will find a tri suit under 'clothing' and a wetsuit under 'swimming'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

First of all you need to get the terms clear as it can be confusing otherwise.

A trisuit is not a wetsuit. It will not keep you warm. It is like a one piece swimsuit which can be worn while cycling and running. It has a little padding in the butt for the bike, is tight and supportive for the run and is made of a quick-drying elasticated fabric for the swim. It is worn under a wetsuit in triathlon swims.

Wetsuits come in many types. A suit for surfing or other water sports doesn't have the support or flexibility required for swimming.

Swim-specific wetsuits are thinner and have much more flexibility in the shoulders. They are often referred to in relation to triathlon as the regulations for that sport mean they must be worn (in water below a certain temperature - all the time in Ireland as it works out). Swim-only events usually don't require wetsuits, or may event prohibit them entirely.

TL:DR
    So what you want is a tri-WETsuit.

If you research well and know your size accurately you can get one well within budget online. I did.
    Try wiggle, chainreaction, swimbikerun websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kim2877

Never ever buy a wetsuit online - fit is everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

kim2877 wrote: »
    Never ever buy a wetsuit online - fit is everything.
    cjt156 wrote: »
    If you research well and know your size accurately you can get one well within budget online. I did.
    Ever.

Advertisement