Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeling wrecked after a cycle

• 09-02-2015 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭

With a couple of young kids I'm lucky to get out for a Sunday morning spin. It takes a fair bit of willpower to "keep going" when I get home, and not just flop on the couch/in the bed for a quick rest.

Generally, I go for a spin of about 80-110kms on Sunday morning with a group, average speed around 26-28kms. I'm only cycling for a few months so maybe it is taking more out of me than I appreciate. I'm early 40's and reasonably fit.

Just wondering if there is more I can do while on the bike (i.e. food & hydration), or whether a particular meal after finishing might give me a bit of a lift. Usually when I am finished I have a hot shower and a sandwich, but feel pretty wrecked and just tired all over.

Is it just a case of mind over matter, and/or the base fitness needing to improve over time that will make it easier to cope with a busy afternoon after a morning cycle? If anyone has any tips or advice I'd welcome it. Do others just flop after a spin that is on the upper end of your fitness capabilities?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I have a particular position sprawled out on the sofa which I typically use after a higher effort long spin.

My twin boys can then sit on me and we can watch a film while I don't have to move, or sit upright.

That's my recommended solution...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If I were you i'd try and get out on the bike more frequently. Getting out on the bike for a 20 or 30 k spin once or twice during the week will make all the difference to your Sunday Spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I'd agree with Lapierre. If your body is living a relatively typical modern life for much of the week with nothing particularly demanding being asked of it, a 100km cycle is a pretty huge shift in activity. Maybe because I've ongoing health issues where the body crashes utterly if pushed too far, I'm not sure how wise it is to have one long cycle, as you seem to be doing, as your modus operandi. I think it's much healthier to cement one's fitness from the ground up so to speak rather than all-in effort once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify....I play 5-aside twice a week at a fairly lively pace, and do about 2 sessions of circa an hour on the turbo a week too. So while the 100km cycle is by far the longest time exercising, I'd be way more drenched in sweat after the football or the turbo. That said, I play football late in the evenings & am on the turbo in the evening too, so go to bed shortly after so don't necessarily know how wrecked they leave me.

I think I'll try to add in some more short cycles anyhow, that would seem to make sense to me. I might try eating more on the bike too when on the Sunday spin.

pelevin - hope the health issues get resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

quozl wrote: »
    I have a particular position sprawled out on the sofa which I typically use after a higher effort long spin.

My twin boys can then sit on me and we can watch a film while I don't have to move, or sit upright.

That's my recommended solution...

Until they turn 7. With their younger brother bouncing on your kidneys. Then it's no fun. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Just wondering if there is more I can do while on the bike (i.e. food & hydration), or whether a particular meal after finishing might give me a bit of a lift. Usually when I am finished I have a hot shower and a sandwich, but feel pretty wrecked and just tired all over.

How much are you eating and drinking on these rides?
    If you are going to ride more than 90 minutes, or if you are going to experience periods of high intensity riding, such as strenuous hill climbing, on a ride of less than 90 minutes, you are going to need to get glucose to fuel your muscles from food you ingest during the ride.
    Good on-the-bike foods include dried fruit like raisins or dates, bagels, and low fat bite-sized cookies. Energy bars are a terrific source of carbs. For example, a single Powerbar has 45 grams of carbohydrate and only 2 grams of fat. There are also energy gels made specifically for endurance athletes such as Power Gel or Goo that have very high doses of carbs. If you eat high density carb supplements like energy bars or gel, make sure to drink plenty of water with them or they will sit like sludge in your stomach and you won’t get the quick transfer of carbs into blood glucose you need.

http://tunedintocycling.com/2008/05/10/cycling-nutrition-eating-on-the-bike/

You need to drink something like 4:1
    http://highfive.co.uk/product/energy/energy-source-41

You need to eat before you are hungry and drink before you are thirsty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Usually when I am finished I have a hot shower and a sandwich, but feel pretty wrecked and just tired all over.

Thanks.

Just a sandwich? you probably need more than that. A full dinner and maybe a recovery protein drink. On your cycle you probably use 1500+ cals

Thanks for the advice re what to eat/drink, and the links. I know I am probably bad at eating or drinking before being hungry/thirsty anyhow, so its definitely something to look at.

I'd usually bring out some figrolls or something like that in pocket, but on Sunday I didn't have anything in the house so went with a handful of gummy bears or something, basically I raided the kids halloween leftovers. I had a coffee and a flapjack when we stopped for coffee. So probably not enough going in during the ride, and not enough at the end either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I had this.

Eat carbs on a saturday night. Pasta etc

Eat carbs when you get back. Pasta etc.

You'll go from sleepy to wide awake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Are you drinking enough while cycling? For that length of spin is have 1.5 - 2litres of water mixed with High5 energy source, a bar of chocolate (usually a mars bar or double decker) and a banana. I'd also take a few gels too just in case.

It sounds like your not eating enough before or during the cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I'm lucky if i get out at all for a weekend spin since my son was born 11 months ago and along with my 2 year old daughter, they are a handful. I'm lucky to get a hello when i walk in the door from work some days from the wife but i understand. I had 3 hours sleep last night due to him teething.
    I'm doing about 40-50 Km a day during the weekdays,commuting and lunch and can't wait for the bright evenings to start.
    I'd reckon a lot of members have the same issues with young kids tiring them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Just to join in on this, how often should you eat on a long cycle?

martyoo wrote: »

As above ...
    If you are going to ride more than 90 minutes, or if you are going to experience periods of high intensity riding, such as strenuous hill climbing, on a ride of less than 90 minutes, you are going to need to get glucose to fuel your muscles from food you ingest during the ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You have 2 kids, 2 5-a-side sessions at a decent intensity, 2 turbo sessions (which I hear are hard), probably a job, you're only a recent convert to cycling and you're not in your 20's any more.

You might want decide which sessions you potter around at a low intensity and where you put in a real hard effort.

martyoo wrote: »

Generally I would only eat at the pit stop, something with chocolate in it, with a coffee.

If I had a banana or some figrolls at home I would carry these, maybe eat 5 figrolls in the 3.5 hours or a banana. That kind of thing, nothing scientific.

I had a late one last Saturday night with fair bit of booze so that probably didn't help a lot. In general, I think I have learned from the above to eat better before, more during (and drink more during), and eat a proper big bowl of pasta when I get home. I thought a decent bowl of porridge should get me through.

I might try to keep off gels and the like for now, see if eating more throughout the cycle helps, and keep gels etc for the longer sportives whenI really need them. Thanks again for all the input/advice.

Save the gels for sportives / races.
    Gels are more convenient than unpeeling a banana.
    Eat a bowl of porridge before and a banana / energy bar on the hour and drink 250mls every 20 - 30 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Be careful of Gels.

They tend to go "right through" me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

With a couple of young kids I'm lucky to get out for a Sunday morning spin. It takes a fair bit of willpower to "keep going" when I get home, and not just flop on the couch/in the bed for a quick rest.

Generally, I go for a spin of about 80-110kms on Sunday morning with a group, average speed around 26-28kms. I'm only cycling for a few months so maybe it is taking more out of me than I appreciate. I'm early 40's and reasonably fit.

Is it just a case of mind over matter, and/or the base fitness needing to improve over time that will make it easier to cope with a busy afternoon after a morning cycle? If anyone has any tips or advice I'd welcome it. Do others just flop after a spin that is on the upper end of your fitness capabilities?

Thanks.

You need be more scared of your wife. No matter how tired I am after a spin I have to pretend to be fine.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Generally I would only eat at the pit stop, something with chocolate in it, with a coffee.

If I had a banana or some figrolls at home I would carry these, maybe eat 5 figrolls in the 3.5 hours or a banana. That kind of thing, nothing scientific.

I had a late one last Saturday night with fair bit of booze so that probably didn't help a lot. In general, I think I have learned from the above to eat better before, more during (and drink more during), and eat a proper big bowl of pasta when I get home. I thought a decent bowl of porridge should get me through.

I might try to keep off gels and the like for now, see if eating more throughout the cycle helps, and keep gels etc for the longer sportives whenI really need them. Thanks again for all the input/advice.

Gels are great for when you feel like crap and need to get your blood sugar up in a hurry. Try eating some slower releasing carbs, I find rice bars excellent. I make them with rice, dried fruit, brown sugar and coconut milk. A good mix of high GI carbs and lower GI carbs. When you get home, eat like your life depends on it.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

and eat a proper big bowl of pasta when I get home

You need to be eating protein as well when you get home, and not more than 40 mins after getting off the bike. Scrambled eggs on toast should tie you over until you get your dinner served up!

More details here
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/04/protein-for-cyclists/

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    You need be more scared of your wife. No matter how tired I am after a spin I have to pretend to be fine.

Therein lies my appetite (excuse the pun) for resolving this issue....I hate grief & can totally understand her indoors being pissed off if I look like I am wrecked, so I pretend to be grand, but it can be pretty tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Scrambled eggs on toast

1 large egg (50g) is 6g of protein.

A 300g tub of cottage cheese (€0,85 in Tesco's) is 30g of protein.

I would not be able to stomach 5 eggs on toast even after an audax ;-), while I can devour cottage cheese in large quantities no problem, especially when lightly salted :D

I usually aim in 30g of protein after a 2-3h moderately hard ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

If I return outside of a mealtime, I will wish up some scrambled eggs (3x), takes about 3 mins. You can add all sorts of stuff in there too, but speed is of the essence when you get in. Or have a smoothie sitting in the fridge with your name on it. I would even eat before a shower if I felt that tired. Then a large cuppa tea and ready to child mind and hit the playground. I would be a bit achy but nothing to complain to anyone about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Therein lies my appetite (excuse the pun) for resolving this issue....I hate grief & can totally understand her indoors being pissed off if I look like I am wrecked, so I pretend to be grand, but it can be pretty tough.

Get up early on the Saturday and take the kids off to the park or for some other activity giving herself an uninterrupted lie-in and morning off. This makes you taking Sunday as a cycling / slacking off day way more reasonable.

As for food on the bike, I find I get two hours out of a banana, bowl of porridge and mug of tea, and then an energy bar every 90mins to 2hours after that. I've no shortage of excess calories hanging around my waist at the moment so can go quite a bit longer with no food as needs be. I don't go near gels.

smacl wrote: »
    Get up early on the Saturday and take the kids off to the park or for some other activity giving herself an uninterrupted lie-in and morning off. This makes you taking Sunday as a cycling / slacking off day way more reasonable.

As for food on the bike, I find I get two hours out of a banana, bowl of porridge and mug of tea, and then an energy bar every 90mins to 2hours after that. I've no shortage of excess calories hanging around my waist at the moment so can go quite a bit longer with no food as needs be. I don't go near gels.

Yeah, Saturday is pretty busy with the kids, which is great, but it requires divide & conquer as their sports tend to be on at the same time in different locations. Anyhow, her indoors is not a sleeper-inner, she's fully of energy and always on the go, which makes me feel like I better get this nutrition/hydration thing sorted quickly or else!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

smacl wrote: »

Sometimes I think you're my long lost twin, Smacl...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....So probably not enough going in during the ride, and not enough at the end either.
    And what about before the ride?

I usually have a large bowl of pasta for breakfast if going for a long ride.

And what about before the ride?

I usually have a large bowl of pasta for breakfast if going for a long ride.

I've seen your posts on here about your "long rides". I'd be giving Lance a ring if I was attempting the type of thing you seem to undertake with ease.

I'm not a great eater in the morning, I might struggle down a bowl of porridge but it really is a struggle.

I've seen your posts on here about your "long rides". I'd be giving Lance a ring if I was attempting the type of thing you seem to undertake with ease.

I'm not a great eater in the morning, I might struggle down a bowl of porridge but it really is a struggle.

That's a "smoking gun" right there, could well be your problem. Eat bigger in the morning.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nutrition aside, you mention you're only cycling for a few months in your opening post and you're in your 40s. I started cycling at a similar age and it took a good year to find my cycling legs. Even now I would average closer to 25kph on 100k than 26-28kph, albeit solo. It could well be the group you're with are that bit more experienced, so keeping up with them is already a big ask, without being full of bounce afterwards. You'll probably find your energy levels are way better in about six months regardless of nutrition if you keep cycling regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LOL :D I'm a very poor example when it comes to nutrition and hydration on a ride. I don't do it the way it's supposed to be done at all as I find it doesn't suit me and messes up my stamina.

(After I had passed the 200k mark on Saturday I felt nauseated at the thoughts of eating. I tried something small but it was hard work. I kept going regardless but even when I got home I couldn't look at food. Had plenty of wine though and the following morning I ate us out of house and home!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Being new to cycling, training 5 times a week, young kids, sub optimal sleep, inadequate rest are more likely to be smoking gun.

Everyone likes to point to nutrition despite other obvious causes.

What other posters do will vary hugely you've to figure out what works best for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think the wrecked feeling is one of my favourite things about cycling, not feeling guilty about being a slob in the evenings once you've got your exercise in, pleasantly buzzed in front of the tv. Probably different if you have kids to look after though.

Thargor wrote: »
    I think the wrecked feeling is one of my favourite things about cycling, not feeling guilty about being a slob in the evenings once you've got your exercise in, pleasantly buzzed in front of the tv. Probably different if you have kids to look after though.

I can totally understand that, I have that feeling after football having put in a good shift, I flop into the scratcher very happy & content with the exercise taken.

Maybe the distance coupled with the poor eating before/during/after makes the afternoon/evening a struggle, and if I improve this I might be able to partake properly in the afternoon once I get a few more of these longer (relatively speaking!) spins into the legs.

I would hazard a guess it's lack of midweek mileage rather than nutritional.......

I hurt my back every so often (ongoing problem) and at age 49 it takes a while after each time I get back on the bike until I have a decent amount of midweek mileage before that (post Sunday ride) after cycle tiredness disappears.

If I were 30 it wouldn't take so much out of me......... Two one hour sessions on a Turbo just isn't enough and while other sports help a bit they aren't cycling specific to the muscles you use cycling ( or should I say parts of the muscles).

Let's imagine you cover (at varying) intensity between 25 and 30 kilometers on a turbo in one session. That means that on a Sunday you are upping the distance to over treble what you do in a single session on the turbo, maybe even quadrupling it. That's too big a leap for the body to cope with unless you are either very very very fit or quite young...

What will happen is that unless you up your midweek mileage you will continue to feel fatigued on Sundays and will probably eventually stop riding the longer rides altogether wondering why they still make you feel tired....... I could well be wrong though.

Anyway best of luck with the cycling, stick with it. Just try to do at least an hour or so more midweek.

• Advertisement
Advertisement