Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New account nightmare

Options
  • 09-02-2015 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi Eircom,

I originally joined Eircom on the 19th of January for it's broadband and this has become a nightmare at this stage.

I rang up looking to receive broadband in an apartment I just moved into, the previous tenant already had Eircom broadband so I rang up to get that switched over to my name (with the previous tenants permission/advice) after this call Eircom advised I would need to set up a new line to receive this, I agreed after the agent explained this was the only solution.

A few issues have arisen since this call, first of all I have still not received my broadband since the 19th of January 2015 and secondly, on the call when I agreed to open an account the agent/salesman mentioned it was an 18 month contract, in that call I clearly said to him I was renting in an apartment with a 12 month contract so 18 months would not interest me, the agent agreed to a 12 month contract.

Moments after that call I received an email to confirm an 18 month contract and as this is not what I wanted I rang up straight away, I explained this to the next person on the phone that a 12 month contract was agreed and he explained he could see a note confirming a 12 month contract and that I will receive another email to confirm this, moments later on the 19th at 11:31:42 I received an email to confirm a 12 month contract. Great, it looked like all was sorted.

Fast forward to Friday just gone the 6th of February, I contacted Eircom by telephone once more as I've still not received my broadband / still cannot connect to broadband. After that call the agent explained my broadband would be ready in 5 days, a response I was not happy with but accepted, after that call I then received an email to say ' Confirmation of your upgraded order‏' which included in the email, 18 month contract.

The issue with this is why am I receiving an email saying it's an 18 month contract when I agreed to a 12 month contract, but also why does it say upgraded order? There should be no upgrade what so ever as I rang up to complain about not receiving my broadband yet not to upgrade my account in any way.

In addition to that, I then contacted Eircom support via chat today who have confirmed that my contract is an 18 month contract and that in order for that to be reviewed somebody would need to listen to the call confirming a 12 month contract and also that I will hear back within 8-10 working days.

So I rang up to join on the 19th of January, to this date I've not received the product I ordered and I'm also being told that my contract is longer than what I agreed to. Please can we get this sorted, please can we have confirmation that my contract will be a 12 month contract as confirmed/agreed on my call on the 19th.

According to the email I received on the 19th, the cancellation policy is as follows;

'You have the right to cancel this contract within 14 days without giving any reason. The cancellation period will expire 14 days from the date of notice. To exercise the right you must inform us of your decision to cancel this contract by writing to us and informing us of your wish to cancel your contract. If you wish, you may use the sample cancellation here. This is the only communication you need to send us if you wish to cancel within the cooling off period. If you cancel your contract we will refund all payments (including the cost of delivery, standard or non - standard) without undue delay, no later than 14 days from the date of cancellation. We will refund your payment by the same method you used for the initial transaction unless you expressly ask us otherwise. Whatever refund method you choose you will not incur any fees. If you are in contract and we have supplied goods to you, you will bear the cost of returning the goods to us. Under applicable law, eircom has a legal obligation to supply goods that are in conformity with the contract. Full terms and conditions can be found on www.eircom.net/termsandconditions. Full details of all eircom?s current charges can be obtained by visiting www.eircom.ie/pricing.'

When I was on the phone on Friday I was reminded that if I cancel my subscription I will receive a charge for this... if the result of this is that I have an 18 month contract regardless and cannot get that changed to a 12 month (which was originally agreed) then of course I expect to be able to cancel this without a fine/fee.

Please help to get this sorted as quickly as possible and please help to get the outcome that will prevent any further issues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

You can also cancel if Eircom don't pull their finger out and supply the service within 30 days. 

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

my3cents wrote: »
    You can also cancel if Eircom don't pull their finger out and supply the service within 30 days. 
    Thank you my3cents, I wasn't aware of that so that is comforting to hear, thank you. If this is not resolved within that time frame that will definitely be happening.

Had to find a URL to the info as lost my history when my computer crashed. This has some of the basics http://smallbusinesslawireland.com/5-things-you-must-know-if-you-are-selling-online-or-by-telephone-to-consumers/ . I suspect that Eircom have never been challenged on the 30 day performance rule but if they haven't supplied anything within 30 days and you then tell them the contract is cancelled you have some comeback if they try and enforce an early termination fee. Citizens advice has the same info http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

Even at this stage you are best making a complaint to comreg because then at least Eircom can't loose any more notes (which probably didn't exist in the first place) from your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

sumsar wrote: »
    Hi Eircom,

I originally joined Eircom on the 19th of January for it's broadband and this has become a nightmare at this stage.

I rang up looking to receive broadband in an apartment I just moved into, the previous tenant already had Eircom broadband so I rang up to get that switched over to my name (with the previous tenants permission/advice) after this call Eircom advised I would need to set up a new line to receive this, I agreed after the agent explained this was the only solution.

A few issues have arisen since this call, first of all I have still not received my broadband since the 19th of January 2015 and secondly, on the call when I agreed to open an account the agent/salesman mentioned it was an 18 month contract, in that call I clearly said to him I was renting in an apartment with a 12 month contract so 18 months would not interest me, the agent agreed to a 12 month contract.

Moments after that call I received an email to confirm an 18 month contract and as this is not what I wanted I rang up straight away, I explained this to the next person on the phone that a 12 month contract was agreed and he explained he could see a note confirming a 12 month contract and that I will receive another email to confirm this, moments later on the 19th at 11:31:42 I received an email to confirm a 12 month contract. Great, it looked like all was sorted.

Fast forward to Friday just gone the 6th of February, I contacted Eircom by telephone once more as I've still not received my broadband / still cannot connect to broadband. After that call the agent explained my broadband would be ready in 5 days, a response I was not happy with but accepted, after that call I then received an email to say ' Confirmation of your upgraded order‏' which included in the email, 18 month contract.

The issue with this is why am I receiving an email saying it's an 18 month contract when I agreed to a 12 month contract, but also why does it say upgraded order? There should be no upgrade what so ever as I rang up to complain about not receiving my broadband yet not to upgrade my account in any way.

In addition to that, I then contacted Eircom support via chat today who have confirmed that my contract is an 18 month contract and that in order for that to be reviewed somebody would need to listen to the call confirming a 12 month contract and also that I will hear back within 8-10 working days.

So I rang up to join on the 19th of January, to this date I've not received the product I ordered and I'm also being told that my contract is longer than what I agreed to. Please can we get this sorted, please can we have confirmation that my contract will be a 12 month contract as confirmed/agreed on my call on the 19th.

According to the email I received on the 19th, the cancellation policy is as follows;

'You have the right to cancel this contract within 14 days without giving any reason. The cancellation period will expire 14 days from the date of notice. To exercise the right you must inform us of your decision to cancel this contract by writing to us and informing us of your wish to cancel your contract. If you wish, you may use the sample cancellation here. This is the only communication you need to send us if you wish to cancel within the cooling off period. If you cancel your contract we will refund all payments (including the cost of delivery, standard or non - standard) without undue delay, no later than 14 days from the date of cancellation. We will refund your payment by the same method you used for the initial transaction unless you expressly ask us otherwise. Whatever refund method you choose you will not incur any fees. If you are in contract and we have supplied goods to you, you will bear the cost of returning the goods to us. Under applicable law, eircom has a legal obligation to supply goods that are in conformity with the contract. Full terms and conditions can be found on www.eircom.net/termsandconditions. Full details of all eircom?s current charges can be obtained by visiting www.eircom.ie/pricing.'

When I was on the phone on Friday I was reminded that if I cancel my subscription I will receive a charge for this... if the result of this is that I have an 18 month contract regardless and cannot get that changed to a 12 month (which was originally agreed) then of course I expect to be able to cancel this without a fine/fee.

Please help to get this sorted as quickly as possible and please help to get the outcome that will prevent any further issues.
    Hi sumsar

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you have faced above, please feel free to PM me your eircom account or order number whilst including some contact details for you.

Thanks
    AL

Any update on this? I sent Alan a PM straight away, didn't get a reply or hear anything since.

• Advertisement

Any update on this? I sent Alan a PM straight away, didn't get a reply or hear anything since.
    Hi sumsar

Thanks for taking my call,

The contract will be for 12 months. Please let me know how you get on with the router tonight.

Thanks
    AL

This has been resolved now thank you, I just wish the phone / chat support could have been helpful in the first place, thanks Alan.

This has been resolved now thank you, I just wish the phone / chat support could have been helpful in the first place, thanks Alan.
    Thanks for updating the thread sumsar

Please let me know if you need help with anything in future :)

Al

Hello,

I have now been trying to make sure my contract ends on the 19th of January but so far it appears I am getting nowhere, I contacted on the 23rd of November via Live Chat and spoke to a Jasmine (I have the transcript) where I explained I wanted to make sure my contract ends on the 19th of January at the end of the 12 months, Jasmine advised the following; "We will never renew your account without your consent, it would keep rolling uncontracted. When your contract is over after 12 months call cancelations on 1901, advise them to check your notes also"

After that chat with Jasmine on the 23rd of November I also sent an email on the 28th of December confirming once more that I would like my contract to end on the 19th of January as I don't want to receive any further bills after the 19th of January as contracted.

So far that was a chat on the 23rd of November, email on the 28th of December and then today I rang on the 4th of January to ask once more for my contract to be cancelled on the 19th of January and for there to be no other bills, unfortunately today I spoke to three different people on the same call, without actually getting any confirmation yet that this will happen, the third person I spoke to explained she would need to speak to the billing department (she was the loyalty department) to confirm if it will be cancelled on the 19th of January and that I will not receive other bills, after she 'put me on hold' I received an automated recording that explained "we are currently receiving difficulties connecting you to one of our agents" so it was quite clear that I was passed to another agent so I was pretty annoyed but worse of all, the call then ended after advising to contact live chat, so I spend a total of 36 minutes on the call before being fobbed off / transferred to a dead end, this has been awful support so far.

Can someone please just confirm for me that my contract will end on the 19th of January and that I will  not get any further bills other than that? Thank you, so far the only actual support I get is via boards, the telephone, chat and email support is atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Hello,

I have now been trying to make sure my contract ends on the 19th of January but so far it appears I am getting nowhere, I contacted on the 23rd of November via Live Chat and spoke to a Jasmine (I have the transcript) where I explained I wanted to make sure my contract ends on the 19th of January at the end of the 12 months, Jasmine advised the following; "We will never renew your account without your consent, it would keep rolling uncontracted. When your contract is over after 12 months call cancelations on 1901, advise them to check your notes also"

After that chat with Jasmine on the 23rd of November I also sent an email on the 28th of December confirming once more that I would like my contract to end on the 19th of January as I don't want to receive any further bills after the 19th of January as contracted.

So far that was a chat on the 23rd of November, email on the 28th of December and then today I rang on the 4th of January to ask once more for my contract to be cancelled on the 19th of January and for there to be no other bills, unfortunately today I spoke to three different people on the same call, without actually getting any confirmation yet that this will happen, the third person I spoke to explained she would need to speak to the billing department (she was the loyalty department) to confirm if it will be cancelled on the 19th of January and that I will not receive other bills, after she 'put me on hold' I received an automated recording that explained "we are currently receiving difficulties connecting you to one of our agents" so it was quite clear that I was passed to another agent so I was pretty annoyed but worse of all, the call then ended after advising to contact live chat, so I spend a total of 36 minutes on the call before being fobbed off / transferred to a dead end, this has been awful support so far.

Can someone please just confirm for me that my contract will end on the 19th of January and that I will  not get any further bills other than that? Thank you, so far the only actual support I get is via boards, the telephone, chat and email support is atrocious.
    Hi sumsar

The process to cancel is to contact eir cancellations on free phone 1800303600 who then advise you to confirm the request to cancel by email - the email is considered as 30 days notice (in line with terms and condition of cancelling a 30 day notification is required) - Did you receive an email in reply to the email you sent on the 28th of December?

Al

• Advertisement

See this is why I was calling, when I contacted in November they advised to contact once the 12 month period ended which didn't seem right so that's why I also sent the email, however the email is less than 30 days before the 12 month ends but the live chat was way outside of the 30 days.

I received an automated response when I sent it but nothing since.

I did call them but as outlined above they couldn't confirm it would be cancelled once the 12 month ends or not and then ended the call, I also have it recorded.

See this is why I was calling, when I contacted in November they advised to contact once the 12 month period ended which didn't seem right so that's why I also sent the email, however the email is less than 30 days before the 12 month ends but the live chat was way outside of the 30 days.

I received an automated response when I sent it but nothing since.

I did call them but as outlined above they couldn't confirm it would be cancelled once the 12 month ends or not and then ended the call, I also have it recorded.
    Not to worry sumsar I'm sure we can find a resolution to this.

Please PM me your eir account number and I'll look in to this further

AL

I'm really getting annoyed here, I received the following email yesterday;

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]We spoke to you today in relation to cancelling your bundle service with us. As advised, you are required to give 30 days notice in order for this to happen. Below is a list of instructions which will allow us to progress your cancellation.[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Please send an email, including your eir account number (detailed above) and phone number(s) that you wish to cancel tophonecancellations@eir.ie or please write to eir Account Administration Unit, Unit 6B Westgate Business Park, Ballymount, Dublin 15.[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]The cancellation of your eir service will be carried out after 30 days upon receipt of your email. If you have already sent an email to cancel but have changed your mind, please contact us on 1800 503 303 .[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Thank you, from the eir team[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]I have sent an email again now to confirm the cancellation but I do not accept today to be the 30 days as I requested this a month ago via email.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Always hit them with the double whammy - phone call AND follow up written letter to cancellations department, to copper fasten the request. That way they can't lose things or fob you off. Note - they tried to tell me my new broadband with a rival operator would be as slow as Eircom "because we own the phone lines through which you get the broadband". When I explained about fibre optic being much faster, the girl on the other end was silenced!

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Always hit them with the double whammy - phone call AND follow up written letter to cancellations department, to copper fasten the request. That way they can't lose things or fob you off. Note - they tried to tell me my new broadband with a rival operator would be as slow as Eircom "because we own the phone lines through which you get the broadband". When I explained about fibre optic being much faster, the girl on the other end was silenced!
    When I called on the 4th of January to confirm if my account would be cancelled by the 19th they wouldn't answer it or tried waffling to the point where they thought I'd get distracted, when I then called them out on this and said please can you just answer my question, will my account be cancelled by the 19th and can you confirm I will not receive any further bills, the agent then told me they will put me on hold to check that, moments later I heard a message saying 'we are currently receiving difficulties connecting you to one of our agents" and a message telling me to contact via live chat to which the call then ended... I was furious. I have the call recorded, how would you advise I go from here?

Send all the info to comreg and ask them if they can confirm for you that you have cancelled.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    When I called on the 4th of January to confirm if my account would be cancelled by the 19th they wouldn't answer it or tried waffling to the point where they thought I'd get distracted, when I then called them out on this and said please can you just answer my question, will my account be cancelled by the 19th and can you confirm I will not receive any further bills, the agent then told me they will put me on hold to check that, moments later I heard a message saying 'we are currently receiving difficulties connecting you to one of our agents" and a message telling me to contact via live chat to which the call then ended... I was furious. I have the call recorded, how would you advise I go from here?
    Hi sumsar

Your eir account has been automatically closed today. Apologies for the lack of information and disappointing experience in contacting us.

A final closing bill reflecting charges of up to the 15th of January will be prepared and with you within 10 working days. A bill for the amount of €53 is outstanding on your account however as this charges for service up to the 4th of Feb the final bill will reflect a credit for the period between the 15th and the 4th of feb. As the modem is not an eFibre modem it is now yours to keep.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks a lot Alan, a shame I have to go to boards to get it resolved but once again you've got it resolved for me, a big thank you to you.

Thanks a lot Alan, a shame I have to go to boards to get it resolved but once again you've got it resolved for me, a big thank you to you.
    No problem at all sumsar

Again I'm sorry for your negative experience and I wish you the very best going forward.

Thanks
    Al

Hi again.... I'm hoping you can help sort this out yet again... I received an email now today about a bill for €196...

• Advertisement

Hi sumsar

That has been cleared now and there's o further balance outstanding :)If you want me to call and discus further please drop me a PM including your mobile number.

Thanks
    Al

eir: Alan wrote: »
    Hi sumsar

That has been cleared now and there's o further balance outstanding :)If you want me to call and discus further please drop me a PM including your mobile number.

Thanks
    Al
    Top Notch as usual, thanks alot!

eir: Alan wrote: »
    Hi sumsar

Thanks
    Al
    Top Notch as usual, thanks alot!
    Not a problem sumsar

Have a great day

Al

Advertisement