Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant Defy 4 [2015] or...?

• 09-02-2015 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/defy.4/20115/79370/

Im thinking of buying this as a budget option for Summer as I dont know if Ill be emigrating next year so don't want to have to splash the cash again in another country, tbh even apart from the price it sounds absolutely perfect for me as Ive always been striving for comfort and long distance ability more than pure speed, dont bother with Strava or anything like that, just in it for the calorie burning and sightseeing but still nice to be able to put the boot down on a good road.
    Quick and compliant, the Giant Defy 4 is a versatile endurance road bike that is built to go the distance. With a more relaxed riding position than a pure race bike and features designed to reduce fatigue, long distance riding will be a pleasure.

The Advanced-Grade carbon composite fork - the same as on the Defy 0 - helps to reduce ‘road buzz’ and the OverDrive steerer design ensures precise steering. The ALUXX aluminum frame, stiff yet compliant, is also designed to reduce road vibration while maintaining efficient power transfer through the pedals.

An FSA chainset with Shimano Claris gearing offers effective 16 speed gearing with a wide range to suit all terrain. Whether you are looking for a bike to take on a long weekend ride, a fast commute or even a sportive the versatile Giant Defy 4 is a great choice.
    9.24 kg for the L frame with no pedals, Ill be going for the M model so seems to be nice and light. Should be a lot better climber than my current Boardman according to peoples comments in another thread.

Just curious about peoples opinions and alternatives, Im looking for long distance comfort and hill climbing ability and I haven't seen much better in my research. Id go secondhand if someone suggested something better but there isn't much on adverts atm that I can see. Anyone got any better suggestions before I pull the trigger? Will it be good on hills?

I think its a great looking machine aswell which also helps.

2015_defy4_c-672x372.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've 2014 Defy 4 which is almost identical to the 2015. I bought late 2013 when I started back cycling. I was reluctant to spend more money in case I didn't stick with it.

As turns out, I've stuck with it and I found the Defy 4 to be perfect for what I need in the beginning. I've been all over Wicklow on it and I've done many +100km spins over the mountains on it and I find it comfortable and it handles well enough for me.

However, the more I used it, I started to find the 8 speed a bit gappy. After about 4,000kms spokes in the rear wheel started to snap - 4 in total. I'm not sure if this was a fault of the wheel or whether my one was just one of a bad batch. My LBS replaced the spokes FOC. Anyway, in the end, rather than spend money on a new bike I upgraded the wheels and groupset as I saw no real need to replace the frame.

I think you'll be happy with the bike if you decide to buy one.

If you do, be sure to replace the tyres - they are the only component that let the bike down. You'll be lucky to get 1,000km out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Great thanks, yeah I'm a fan of Gatorskins so Ill probably stick those on and keep the stocks as spares, 2 years without a flat on the current ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

I had a defy 4 until last year,I loved it.The geometry is set up for a more Relaxed riding position.I upgraded to a Defy 1 and Love it..

Advertisement