Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Hand Bikes

Options
  • 09-02-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, Im looking for a cheap secondhand mountain bike just as something I can leave locked in a DART station instead of my good bike at weekends and such. Are there any good secondhand places in the City Centre these days or along the DART lines? Any market stalls or anything like that that wouldn't show up on Google? Not looking for fancy here as long as it pedals...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I don;t know of any in the city but there is a place on Nutgrove Avenue, near the bottle tower pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

But far out but there's a mens shed out in Mulhuddart that sell bikes that they've refurbished.

My partner got one a few months ago from them for 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

http://www.rothar.ie/

Rothar is worth mentioning. The Dún Laoghaire (Patrick Street) branch is the only outlet that I'm familiar with.. and they have bikes for sale.

They also have outlets in Phibsborough and Fade Street, Dublin.

Location maps here: http://www.rothar.ie/locations.html

EDIT: Pipped to the post by OSI!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Great suggestions thanks.
    January wrote: »
    But far out but there's a mens shed out in Mulhuddart that sell bikes that they've refurbished.

My partner got one a few months ago from them for 30 euro.
    30 euro is exactly what Im looking for :D

Any more details on this? Do they have a bike selection or was this just a once off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They had a selection of bikes when we were down there anyway...

As far as I know (and don't quote me on this!) they get any bikes that haven't been claimed that the Garda recover and they are able to refurbish them and then sell them on.

They are on Church Road at the back of an apartment complex and creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

There's a place at the top of Parnell Street, opposite from CineWorld that sells 2nd hand bikes. I've only passed it and never used it so unsure of price or quality.

Anyone know of any Saturday markets or anything like that that wouldnt show up on Google? Struggling to find anywhere selling cheap bikes tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Bolton Cycles on Bolton Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Try adverts or donedeal.
    Take a look over on the stolen bikes thread in the cycling forum....no bike is safe. particularly are luas/dart stations. Its grim reading.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

Try adverts or donedeal.
    +1. good selection there, your best bet. I had my bike stolen in Dublin a few years ago, so best not to leave a very expensive one locked in public places methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

malibu4u wrote: »
    +1. good selection there, your best bet. I had my bike stolen in Dublin a few years ago, so best not to leave a very expensive one locked in public places methinks.

A lot of the stolen bikes end up on those websites!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

A lot of the stolen bikes end up on those websites!
    like buying a secondhand car, you have to be careful. Ask to meet at the sellers house, look for i.d. , look for receipts with the bike...you can usually guess before too long if the seller is legitimate or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

malibu4u wrote: »
    like buying a secondhand car, you have to be careful. Ask to meet at the sellers house, look for i.d. , look for receipts with the bike...you can usually guess before too long if the seller is legitimate or not.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't sell any low value item from my home. I wouldn't want someone to know where I live in order to make €50. Also very few people keep receipts for anything.

OP if the seller looks like he is on something. The bike is probably stolen. Jusr trust your gut about the seller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

dorset street just down from the auld triangle pub and before the big tree

dorset street just down from the auld triangle pub and before the big tree
    What is it a shop? What are the bikes like? Im looking to spend less than 50 quid, I already have a decent bike this is for leaving in DART stations overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Thargor wrote: »
    ...his is for leaving in DART stations overnight.

Any bike I see left at a train station gets utterly destroyed. Even if they don't steal it. I assume you are just going repeat this every few months, and treat it like a disposable bike.

Wouldn't it just be easier to get whatever from adverts

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/sports-fitness/bikes/mountain-bikes/829/q_Mountain+Bike/price_1-50/

Strip the bike to its basics so theres less to break or be messed with it. The more decrepit it looks the better.

Theres also bike lockers now so you might get off at a station that has them. Folding bikes can also be carried in the boot of the car, or stored under a desk.

TBH I was thinking of a €50 junker for going to the local shopping centre or pub.

This is Bray DART station, it should be alright, I wouldn't leave it in any of the Dublin stations thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I doubt you will get any bike for the 50e mark.

I tried 2 years ago and checked all the 2nd hand bike shops around the city centre. Best I could find was the shop on dorset street I mentioned and also the bike place beside capel street/parnell street

They would sell their most basic bike for around 60e

I used mine to cycle to work and leave attached to a lamppost when in work. did the job

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

This is Bray DART station, it should be alright, I wouldn't leave it in any of the Dublin stations thats for sure.

Ha!

• Advertisement

No ha, bikes are safe there, dozens of way nicer bikes than the piece of crap Im planning on using left there all the time. Actually I dont think I've ever seen a vandalized bike there in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

RosieJoe wrote: »
    There's a place at the top of Parnell Street, opposite from CineWorld that sells 2nd hand bikes. I've only passed it and never used it so unsure of price or quality.
    That place looks dubious to me.

They've got lots of bicycle wheels for sale, how did they get so many bicycle wheels???

Rothar and Mens Sheds sound like great alternatives.

Got this for €25 from a guy out in Crumlin on Adverts:

YWJHIuT.jpg?1

Exactly what I needed and everything works, including the gears, pity it seems to weigh about 3 tons :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got this for €25 from a guy out in Crumlin on Adverts:

YWJHIuT.jpg?1

Exactly what I needed and everything works, including the gears, pity it seems to weigh about 3 tons :pac:

That's my bike.

I'll call over to collect tomorrow:)

Joking

Advertisement