Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cork city routes for beginners

• 09-02-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

hi all, just wondering if someone could suggest some beginner cyclying routes around cork city. I have a hybrid that I got for commuting to work and enjoy it but it's only 3km either way. I've decided I want to do some more cyclying on my days off, some scenic routes or in parks etc not just road where all I'll see is cars and buildings. want to start off easy so maybe routes ~10km and hopefully progress. it's just for a bit of enjoyment, fresh air and fitness. living near ucc if that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Go over the Lee at the Mardyke, left along the Lee Road right to the end, turn left, past the Angler's Rest, left again at the lights, back in along the Lee Fields to the Mardyke. That's about 10k, nice route to start off on.

Then you can extend a bit to Inniscarra, and back in from Ballincollig.

Then add Temple Hill. Be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

The obvious one here is from Parc Ui Chaoimh out along the old railway line to Monkstown. It's a fabulous resource. The Council has also extended it from Carrigaline down to Crosshaven, again on the old railway. Between Monkstown and Carrigaline, you'll have to do a few km on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I keep meaning to check out this. See what all the fuss is about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Go over the Lee at the Mardyke, left along the Lee Road right to the end, turn left, past the Angler's Rest, left again at the lights, back in along the Lee Fields to the Mardyke. That's about 10k, nice route to start off on.

Then you can extend a bit to Inniscarra, and back in from Ballincollig.

Is this the route you are talking about? https://www.strava.com/routes/1424200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Is this the route you are talking about? https://www.strava.com/routes/1424200

Ya that's a great little route to cycle, you can extend on out to coachford too to get about 50k on it I believe - I'm not mad about the road to Dripsey though, never feel safe cycling it, can be dodgy enough in a car at times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement