Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a pre-authorisation ?

Options
  • 09-02-2015 2:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭

I made a booking for a hotel on booking.com for a weekend in May.

You don't pay upfront, no prepayment, free cancellation if cancelled before a certain date. Its hassle free and never had a problem with it before.

I received the booking confirmation by email with all the details, normal email
    Guest name:
    Number of guests:
    Prepayment: No deposit will be charged

There was also a payment section of the email saying

You have now confirmed and guaranteed your reservation by credit card.
    Please note that your credit card may be pre authorised prior to your arrival.

Through my online banking, I see that there is €10 from this hotel in the pending transactions. Some random amount. I thought a pre-authorisation is a hold on the full amount until payment? Or are they allowed to take a random amount as a pre authorisation?

Also does this mean that I have to wait until May until payment of the hotel to get the €10 back.

Can anyone shine some light on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Petrol stations (Tesco for example) sometimes take a 1 euro pre authorisation.
    I made a booking for a hotel on booking.com for a weekend in May.

You don't pay upfront, no prepayment, free cancellation if cancelled before a certain date. Its hassle free and never had a problem with it before.

I received the booking confirmation by email with all the details, normal email
    Guest name:
    Number of guests:
    Prepayment: No deposit will be charged

There was also a payment section of the email saying

You have now confirmed and guaranteed your reservation by credit card.
    Please note that your credit card may be pre authorised prior to your arrival.

Through my online banking, I see that there is €10 from this hotel in the pending transactions. Some random amount. I thought a pre-authorisation is a hold on the full amount until payment? Or are they allowed to take a random amount as a pre authorisation?

Also does this mean that I have to wait until May until payment of the hotel to get the €10 back.

Can anyone shine some light on this.

Advertisement