Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Time do you have you Main Meal?

• 06-02-2015 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭

I have a question for ye all. What time of day/evening/night would you have your main meal normally?

I was out to lunch today with a group of people and it varied from mid-day to 11 pm. I would be normally around 7.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Miaireland wrote: »
    I have a question for ye all. What time of day/evening/night would you have your main meal normally?

I was out to lunch today with a group of people and it varied from mid-day to 11 pm. I would be normally around 7.30pm

Between 6-7.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Surely they'd be steamed potatoes if done in the slow cooker, as opposed to baked?

We normally eat dinner these days at 7.30. When I lived with my parents, it was 5.30, and it's gradually shifted later over the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

6.30-7pm, during the week, at weekends usually about 8pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dinner is whenever Mrs G! gets home from work - usually about 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

It's usually around 6pm, but later on weekends, when I move to Portugal in a few months I'm sure it'll change to much later again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

When I was cooking for myself I would eat between 9 & 10. Now I am home again we eat between 6 & 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

When I was cooking for myself I would eat between 9 & 10. Now I am home again we eat between 6 & 7.

I only noticed now that you no longer have Bern under location. Welcome home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Back home we eat at a midday meal around 1300-1400 and a nighttime meal around 8:30-9:30 . I found the irish meal time of 1730 - 1830 waaay too early when I moved over here, but now I'm getting used to it...

I only noticed now that you no longer have Bern under location. Welcome home.
    Thanks! I'm back in Fabulous Fingal again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

sixish.

coming down with the blues. was wondering what comfort food I could do simply easily and quickly. Pancakes with blueberries mixed in....fingers crossed that that'll work......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

7.30 - 9 ish, depending on how hungry we are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I finish work at 4 and home by 4.30, now we used to head out for a walk or something then, and get home prep and have dinner for 6 or 630, but now the little fella needs feeding at 5 to be in bed for 7 and asleep by 730, so we'll either eat with him, or when he's asleep.

I prefer earlier, because being up at 6 means being in bed by 930 or so, and I like to have longer between eating and sleeping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We usually eat dinner between 6.30 and 7.30.

On the subject of baked potatoes, I don't imagine they'd freeze well. For quick baked potatoes I microwave them first while the oven heats up to 220C, then put them into the oven for 10-15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Normally eat at the earliest 8pm but 'the man' tells me that is not good for me blah, blah, blah.

Herself and the kids eat earlier during the week which works as once I get in from work Im not really hungry. At the weekends it could be 8:30 or so but Im trying for 8pm at the latest. If on my own 9pm wouldnt be an issue but each to their own I guess

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭beertons

We eat early, between 4&5. Even if we go out for an early bird, we're the first in the restaurant. Home by 6 for wind down, and the smallies are in bed by 7. Which is probably our downfall too, as we're peckish again around 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Kids eat at around 4.30 to 5 and I'll do dinner for Mrs Minder & I for 8pm. Weekends we like to try and get at least one dinner together, usually with the kids mucking in on the prep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Between 7pm and 8pm, we both get in the door at the same time - 7:10pm - so it's usually closer to 8pm when we're eating. Don't like to eat too early as that means supper will probably happen, but wouldn't like to eat dinner past 9pm usually, because I like to get in several hours of digestion before hitting the sack. I don't think trying to digest food when your body is winding down to rest is a good thing.

Split from the Chat thread. Deserves a thread of its own.

tHB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Sometime between 6:30 and 8:00 usually - changes in Summer because I work til 8pm or later, that's when meals from the freezer or steak and salad come in veeery handy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

A source of constant frustration in my place - my father must be after having dinner by the time the angelus bell rings or god help our souls.

I prefer it later - approx. 7pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I prefer to have my main meal of the day at around lunch time.

I don't usually get home until 6.30 - 7 and if I haven't prepped food in advance (which is pretty much all of the time) then it ends up being closer to 9 before I'm sitting down to eat and find it harder to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Any where between 5.30 pm and 7.30 pm for me. My Dad prefers having his dinner by 6 but I prefer a bit later coz I don't go to bed early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Somewhere between 8 and 9 usually, 9.30 some days. I don't get home from work till 7, and the child goes down to bed at 8, so we can't really even begin to start cooking until just before 8. Some days my wife works till 9, so I have dinner ready for when she gets in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Typically around 7: a bit earlier of we are hungry, or up till 8 or even later if the day runs late: but around 7 is a good average.

We always, always ate dinner together en famille when our kids were growing up; and at that time we would be done by 7, in time for TV/homework/bedtimes etc // Its a little later now that they are reared but still over in time to go to a movie etc

If we eat too late it takes a while to wind down; and also sometimes causes indigestion in Himself. But Sundays might still be a late supper with a glass of Rioja about 9.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't like eating early. 7:30 or so in the evening is good for me.

Some people eat on a schedule (dinner on the table at 5:30 every night or whatever) but that's not me. I eat when I get hungry so it can vary a lot. Weekends especially can be a lot later. I fit eating in around other activities during the day, as opposed to fitting other activities around set times for meals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Even when I had an expense account, I couldn't consider having a substantial meal in the middle of the day. I appreciate that if you had a strenuous manual job it might be handy, but I would be a write off. Anytime from 6 to 8 for me is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

Between 6-7 by the time I get home from work and cook up something. Sunday being the only exception, Sunday dinners are served at 2pm, same for Christmas and Easter dinners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

If I had a preference, it would be 5.30, but since I don't get home from work til 7, it's usually 7.15 thanks to the slow cooker or himself thinks he's great coz he turns on the oven.

I have a Zumba class midweek, but can't eat a dinner before, so it's just a peanut butter sandwich 2 hours before,

On Sunday's I love dinner earlier .... Say 3pm, we rarely do that but then occasionally i work Sundays,

I absolutely hate to eat after 7 ish, way too late, but such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

During the week 4.45
    Weekend or any day I'm off 1PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Generally about 8pm, which is very late.

Get home from work at 5. Sit down with a cuppa and a snack. Walk dogs at from 6pm - 7:30pm. Start cooking then.

Advertisement