Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Time do you have you Main Meal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

earlytobed wrote: »
    During the week 4.45
    Weekend or any day I'm off 1PM

Apt username! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Sometime between 7 & 9 during the week and normally around 10pm on Saturdays, because we tend to go out for lunch or brunch and are stuffed but still want to cook something nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Anytime from 6-9 midweek, depending on our mood, what we're having for dinner, and also gym/sports etc.

Weekends 7-10pm, depending on what we're having, etc. and again sports are taken into account too.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Apt username! :)
    Growing up, my Dad's dinner was on the table at 12.15 every day, 12.30 Saturday and Sunday. As D'unbelievibles say, it gives you a "good run at the day"

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

Growing up, my Dad's dinner was on the table at 12.15 every day, 12.30 Saturday and Sunday. As D'unbelievibles say, it gives you a "good run at the day"

Sounds like a good ol Farmers dinner! It's the same with my father and brother at the minute 12:30 is dinner time and then 6:30 is tea time and they'll only have something small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

we our eat main meal between 12 an 1 pm. I would be starving all day if i had to wait. eat early and burn it off during the day works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

About 7 is typical for us.
    If I eat a big dinner at lunch time, I'd eat another one in the evening.
    I don't really like to eat after 8 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have an Uncle who is the same. He is in despair at the moment as there is a new priest in the parish and they are never out of mass in time for half twelve dinner on Sundays recently. He did not take very well to the suggestion of going to an earlier mass and is thinking of writing to the Bishop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I live on my own and hate cooking. The canteen at work does a decent lunchtime meat and 2 veg for 5.50, so I usually make that my main meal. I am usually ravenous by midday, so I try to take the earlier of our 2 lunch rota slots.

My evening meal usually is something like a burrito or noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭GBXI

I can't believe the times that people in here eat their main meal at!

Assuming everyone works close to the normal working hours, would you not be at your hungriest around mid-day/lunch-time? Eating your main meal at like 7 (seems to be about the average here) and then hitting the hay at 11ish, I dunno, just seems a bit daft to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

When I have my main meal midday I just get snoozy in the afternoon. Not great if I am working. :o

When I have my main meal midday I just get snoozy in the afternoon. Not great if I am working. :o

I am the same, if I have my main meal during the day I am falling asleep in the afternoon.

I remember when I had a summer job we were taken out to lunch by the boss. He asked me later that day would I mind waiting in a little used office to supervise an IT guy. I kept falling asleep and banging my head off the table, the poor IT fella must have thought that I had a liquid lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GBXI wrote: »

Assuming everyone works close to the normal working hours, would you not be at your hungriest around mid-day/lunch-time? Eating your main meal at like 7 (seems to be about the average here) and then hitting the hay at 11ish, I dunno, just seems a bit daft to me!
    It really depends on what you get used to. People who come from rural backgrounds where everyone could gather together for dinner in the middle of the day would probably find it odd to eat large meals at the end of the day.

But I know for us at least, I could have my main meal in the middle of the day, but I know my wife won't have time to sit down and eat a big meal. So then it would be a case of me sitting down for a sandwich in the evening while she makes herself a big dinner. We'd never get to sit down to a meal together :D

seamus wrote: »
    It really depends on what you get used to. People who come from rural backgrounds where everyone could gather together for dinner in the middle of the day would probably find it odd to eat large meals at the end of the day.

But I know for us at least, I could have my main meal in the middle of the day, but I know my wife won't have time to sit down and eat a big meal. So then it would be a case of me sitting down for a sandwich in the evening while she makes herself a big dinner. We'd never get to sit down to a meal together :D

Fair enough - hadn't considered a couples/time thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Not to mention the fact that if I had my main meal midday I would miss out on the family meal in the evening after work with my wife & kids. Usually the highlight of my day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yep, if I have anything larger than a sandwich at lunch time, I'm like a zombie for the afternoon. My ideal lunch is sushi, but the nearest sushi place is just a tiny bit too far away to make it viable for a 30-minute lunch break.

Plus, naturally, I love cooking so I like to come home in the evening and make a big meal (... or go out for a big meal, which is equally pleasurable!). Either way, I want to relax with my food. I hate eating under pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Mostly I only get home from work after 6, except gym nights where its closer to 8 - so I have developed a routine whereby the dinners for gym nights are premade the previous nights - leading to an overall time of 7-8 for dinner on a weeknight, much earlier at the weekend, 4-5ish, unless I am going out to dinner for the evening. I dont like eating so late on weeknights as I got to bed around 10-10.30 but such is working life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

To me the idea of eating a big dinner at 12 seems mental, but I suppose it depends on what you're used to.

We eat at 7ish. My husband gets home at 5.30 and by the time we've had a chat and sat around for a bit we're ready for dinner. The last couple of weeks I've been starving all the time though so my main meal has been at anything from 3.30 to 8.

To me the idea of eating a big dinner at 12 seems mental, but I suppose it depends on what you're used to.

We eat at 7ish. My husband gets home at 5.30 and by the time we've had a chat and sat around for a bit we're ready for dinner. The last couple of weeks I've been starving all the time though so my main meal has been at anything from 3.30 to 8.

See I'm looking at it from a health/hunger point of view, less a practical one I admit. But breakfast or lunch should be your main meals, with a smaller meal in the evening from a health point of view. Also, I am ravenous at lunch-time because, even after an average sized breakfast, I'll have been asleep for 8+ hours before that, meaning I've had 1 meal in about 12 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

See I'm looking at it from a health/hunger point of view, less a practical one I admit. But breakfast or lunch should be your main meals, with a smaller meal in the evening from a health point of view. Also, I am ravenous at lunch-time because, even after an average sized breakfast, I'll have been asleep for 8+ hours before that, meaning I've had 1 meal in about 12 hours!

Ah well then we're totally different. I don't eat breakfast and I still wouldn't be hungry enough for a big meal by lunchtime. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If I ate my dinner during the day I just wouldn't know what to eat in the evening and I'd probably end up having another dinner. A sandwich or similar light meal would never keep me going until the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I purposely avoid having a dinner during the day, usually bringing in pasta or some other concoction for lunch.

I get home around 4:30 and have dinner with Herself around 6:30-7:00. Which usually means I get a case of the nibbles around 5-5:30. But then if I have dinner earlier, I get the nibbles later.

It can be quite tricky being me sometimes. :(:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I would completely KO if I had my main meal at lunch, even a particularly big sandwich runs the risk of knocking me out. Light breakfast, light-ish lunch & dinner, which is the meal I actively look forward too, around people I like being around works best for me.

I find I would eat much more in my main meal if I had it in the middle of the day. I have a much smaller dinner in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Yeah, I eat as little carbohydrate at lunchtime as possible for this reason.

No, I love to have a big dinner and will quite happily eat less during the day to compensate. I hate having a big lunch as, as mentioned above by others, I get very, very sleepy and groggy if I do. Postprandial somnolence, my friend! :) I probably get it in the evening too, but at that time, it feels right to feel a bit tired as one is winding down for the day.

See I'm looking at it from a health/hunger point of view, less a practical one I admit. But breakfast or lunch should be your main meals, with a smaller meal in the evening from a health point of view.

Just to point out, it makes no difference how you distribute the eating of your calories in the day, the overall figure is the important bit. Except maybe that it wouldn't be great to eat a big meal right before bed, as digestion won't work as well with the body in a resting state. But it's an absolute myth that you should eat little in the evening to lose weight or be healthy.

Advertisement