Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wet Hot American Summer -Netflix (**Spoilers**)

• 09-02-2015 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭

A TV series adaptation of Wet Hot American Summer is on the way at Netflix.

The original cast of the David Wain-directed 2001 cult film are expected to reunite for an eight-episode series.

That includes Elizabeth Banks, H. Jon Benjamin, Michael Ian Black, Bradley Cooper, Judah Friedlander, Janeane Garofalo, Nina Hellman, Ken Marino, Zak Orth, David Hyde Pierce, Joe LoTruglio, Christopher Meloni, A.D. Miles, Marguerite Moreau, Amy Poehler, Paul Rudd, Marisa Ryan, Molly Shannon, Michael Showalter and Kevin Sussman.
    The film, set on the last day at a fictional Jewish summer camp in 1981, failed at the box office but went on to gain popularity in the afterlife, achieving a cult status. Helping its cause was the fact that a lot of then up-and-comers in the cast went on to become stars, like Rudd, Cooper, Poehler, and Banks.
    This is the second revival of a cult project with a star-studded cast that Netflix has pulled off, following the new season of Arrested Development.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/wet-hot-american-summer-netflix-limited-series-original-cast-return-1201342994/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Starts Friday, 17th July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I just watched the movie for the first time tonight. Haven't laughed out loud as much at a film in a long time.

Glad I don't have long to wait for the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

WHAS_Keyart_Vertical_US.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was just coming here to post the trailer. :)

Looks fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Paul Rudd looks like he hasn't aged a day since the original. To be fair, most of them have aged pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wow one hell of a cast plus a Mad Men reunion

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Wow one hell of a cast plus a Mad Men reunion

Surely Mad Men is a Wet Hot American Summer reunion, given that that came first?

• Advertisement

Rewatched the film again tonight before I devour the show tomorrow...

One More Sleep!!!

Thought the whole series was hilarious. Although some of the character arcs were a bit weak.

It was everything I expected it to be and more. Absolutely brilliant. Don't think they could've done a better job on it than that.

I think it compliments the film perfectly, so not sure I'd want them to make any more, but at the same time I'd absolutely love them to make more.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

I will never get tired of the pottery breaking stock sound effect...

just finished it there found it brilliant definitely need to see the film first. Favourite parts were
    Lawyer talking on iPhone even though film is set in the 80s and Jason Schwartzman's character asking what the metal thing is he's holding ,the fight scene in the kitchen with John Hamm's stunt man clearly being seen and the girl getting her period and a older actress coming out of the toilet stall instead

There is also a behind the scenes documentary about it on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

This is so gloriously ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

This might not make much sense until you see the movie but the older girl who comes out of the bathroom stall after having her period is actually the same actress who played the original part in the movie. Its kind of the in joke reference to the movie.

Today, we are all..... people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

“We’re a very important couple. And couples don’t fight.”

“Yes, they do. My parents fought all the time until my father killed himself.”

Absolutely loved it, surpasses the film for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

I wasn't blown away by the film but gave the series another shot because of the stellar cast. Its ridiculous but I love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Does it pick up as it goes along? Watched the first couple of episodes without so much as a snigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Connavar wrote: »
    Does it pick up as it goes along? Watched the first couple of episodes without so much as a snigger

If you didn't like those episodes I wouldn't continue with it. Very much the same type of humour throughout which I think you will either love or hate

deisedude wrote: »
    If you didn't like those episodes I wouldn't continue with it. Very much the same type of humour throughout which I think you will either love or hate

I have to disagree, i thought the first ep was very poor but gave it a chance and watched the remaining 7 eps in one sitting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

den87 wrote: »
    I have to disagree, i thought the first ep was very poor but gave it a chance and watched the remaining 7 eps in one sitting

Totally agree, the first two episodes left me cold but when I "Got," the humour and tone I loved the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Does anyone know the title music? Google has failed me so far.

Edit - "Jane," by Jefferson Starship.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I will give it another shot so. Was a bit hung over when I watched the first two, which may have come into play too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I watched it last night. Its amazing how they got the cast back together for something so ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

godtabh wrote: »
    I watched it last night. Its amazing how they got the cast back together for something so ridiculous.
    godtabh wrote: »
    In your opinion

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭redlead

I've been intrigued by this but can see that both the film and series has 1/2 stars. Why does everyone on here love it so much but everyone else think that is rubbish? :p

• Advertisement

redlead wrote: »
    I've been intrigued by this but can see that both the film and series has 1/2 stars. Why does everyone on here love it so much but everyone else think that is rubbish? :p

It's a satire, which a lot of people can't appreciate that type of humour - half of them don't even realise that it is satire in the first place and give it a low rating because they don't "get it"...

If you like satire, it's great and well worth the watch, start with the film and then the series...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

redlead wrote: »

It is rubbish. Its one of those shows where the big names think that they just need to show up and it will be 'hilarious'. I watched about 4 episodes and i dont think i laughed once.

It is rubbish. Its one of those shows where the big names think that they just need to show up and it will be 'hilarious'. I watched about 4 episodes and i dont think i laughed once.

So you didn't get it. Or it just wasn't your type of humour. That doesn't make it rubbish.

So you didn't get it. Or it just wasn't your type of humour. That doesn't make it rubbish.

Ok, i'll word it differently. i hated it. It has that 'knowing' humour. We dont need to try to make it funny because we have such a strong cast. if it works, great. if not, its satire.

Anyone who hates it is not intelligent enough to 'get' it. Its the movie 43 of tv shows.

Ok, i'll word it differently. i hated it. It has that 'knowing' humour. We dont need to try to make it funny because we have such a strong cast. if it works, great. if not, its satire.

Anyone who hates it is not intelligent enough to 'get' it. Its the movie 43 of tv shows.

:rolleyes:

Ah the internet, where people are entitled to their opinion, even when their argument is invalid. Sigh.

Wet Hot American Summer was a film long long long before Movie 43 was even a conception... You probably didn't even bother watching the film, which would mean you could not fully appreciate the Netflix Series, but sure who has time to be constucting informed opinions these days anyway...

5263390974_bd8f190c84_o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

It's a satire, which a lot of people can't appreciate that type of humour - half of them don't even realise that it is satire in the first place and give it a low rating because they don't "get it"...

If you like satire, it's great and well worth the watch, start with the film and then the series...

Naaaa, VEEP is satire. It would be a serious stretch to call it satire, unless you think Airplane! is an hilarious indictment of airline safety.

Well I thought it might be best to start off by watching the movie, needless to say, I never made it as far as the series. Horrible, stupid, painfully unfunny stuff. Plus the whole 'american summer camp experience' thing doesn't really resonate here, it's just not part of the culture really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Have watched the series, loved it. Must watch the film next!

:rolleyes:

Ah the internet, where people are entitled to their opinion, even when their argument is invalid. Sigh.

Wet Hot American Summer was a film long long long before Movie 43 was even a conception... You probably didn't even bother watching the film, which would mean you could not fully appreciate the Netflix Series, but sure who has time to be constucting informed opinions these days anyway...

5263390974_bd8f190c84_o.gif

If it is good enough it should be able to stand on its own without the movie. i can see what they are trying to do, but i dont feel that it worked. Hence why i didnt like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭squonk

It took me about 2 episodes to 'get' it. I hadn't watched the movie beforehand so I was coming in cold. It wasn't hillarious but wasn't too bad either. I think the film was actually funnier tbh. I watched that after I'd finished the show because I started to like the show so much. It's not satire either. It's more a send up of 80's movies and a lot of those typical frat/college movies as well. I think once you realised that it didn't make a whole lot of sense and you were just along for the ride it definitely improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I tell people to think of it as the "Hot Shots of summer camp movies".

Also, They Came Together is well worth checking out, also on Netflix. Made by the same crew, featuring a lot of the same actors, and it had me in tears from start to finish. The "Hot Shots of romantic comedies" is what I tell people.

You can say that again

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Roar wrote: »
    Also, They Came Together is well worth checking out, also on Netflix.

You like fiction movies? I like fiction movies too!

• Advertisement

Renewed for another 8 episode season over on Netflix, this one Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later.
    I didn't expect there to be any more after First Day of Camp, so this is great news.

http://renewcanceltv.com/wet-hot-american-summer-renewed-for-sequel-series-ten-years-later/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Just got around to watching this now.
    Paul Rudd looks like he hasn't aged a day since the original. To be fair, most of them have aged pretty well.

Everyone but Michael Showalter. Jaysus! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later drops August 4th.

Season 2 Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later drops August 4th.

Cannot wait for this

Honestly, they could've just played "Jane" and rolled the cast list without showing us any footage and I would be hyped...

Definitely time for a re-watch of Wet Hot American Summer and WHAS: First Day Of Camp over the next few weeks before the new series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 has dropped.

Not getting great reviews.

It's really not great ...

It's really not great ...

Ya the first episode didn't do much for me.

I thought it was very enjoyable. It remained as stupidly funny as the previous outings, and the scheduling conflicts for Paul Rudd, Joe Lo Truglio, etc and how they ended up using them in certain scenes only added to the humour for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

It's a drop down from the prequel but I think it gets better as it goes on. Probably the last instalment though. It seems to be leaning a little too serious and sincere early on (like with the breakups) and then the end is irreverent, the tonal opposite where absolutely everything that happened is jokingly retconned...and it doesn't have a great song, just "haha this makes no sense" jokes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement