Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get insurance at all!

Options
  • 09-02-2015 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

How's it going, I'm having wicked hassle trying to get insured on a car, The car is a Toyota Altezza RS200, It's 99, Jap Import, I'll be 20 in a few days when my policy is up for renewal, Is there anyway to get insured? My insurance company that i'm with won't quote me, Along with nearly every other insurance company in the country, Am i right in saying, That if i buy the car and tell them i bought it they have to insure me? Or how can i go about being insured?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Taken from here, A Guide to Motor Insurance & FAQ's:
    Insurers won't insure me. What now?

This does happen. You will need to get letters of refusal from all insurers who refuse you cover. You need three letters in total. Then approach the Irish Insurance Federation who will instruct an insurer to quote you. This quote might not be favourable to your pocket but it is still a quote.

Further information from Insurance Ireland
    What can I do if I am unable to obtain motor insurance?

Insurance Ireland operates a Declined Cases Agreement, which is adhered to by all motor insurers in Ireland.

Under the agreement, the insurance market will not refuse to provide insurance to an individual seeking insurance, if he/she has approached at least three insurers and has not been able to obtain cover from them. In general, the insurer first approached will be required to provide the individual with a quote. It is therefore important that the proposer keeps a careful note of the order in which he/she approached each of the three companies.

Where an individual has held a policy within the previous three years, the insurance company concerned is obliged to provide the individual with a quotation. Again this is subject to the proviso that refusals have been received from three insurers (of which the previous insurer may be one).

The only grounds on which an insurer can refuse cover are where to provide insurance would be contrary to public interest.

The agreement is administered by a Committee made up of representatives of each of the companies who have signed the agreement. The Committee also includes a representative of the Consumers’ Association of Ireland and the Financial Services Ombudsman’s Bureau as external observers. If it is impossible to identify which insurer was the first approached for a quote, then a rota of insurers comes into effect and the Committee allocates the risk to the next insurer on the rota.

The Committee can also decide whether a quote is so high or the terms so excessive as to make the quote tantamount to a refusal, in which case it will review the matter.

For assistance regarding the Declined Cases Agreement, contact the Insurance Ireland’s Insurance Information Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You're 19 and trying to insure a 2.0 litre 148 kW (c. 200 bhp) motor?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

coylemj wrote: »
    You're 19 and trying to insure a 2.0 litre 148 kW (c. 200 bhp) motor?

Yeah had one when i was 18! My policy is up the start of next month and i'll be 20 in a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Daaryl wrote: »
    How's it going, I'm having wicked hassle trying to get insured on a car, The car is a Toyota Altezza RS200, It's 99, Jap Import, I'll be 20 in a few days when my policy is up for renewal, Is there anyway to get insured? My insurance company that i'm with won't quote me, Along with nearly every other insurance company in the country, Am i right in saying, That if i buy the car and tell them i bought it they have to insure me? Or how can i go about being insured?

I believe they have to give a quote but that quote could be €10000 a year so i wouldn't recommend this

I believe they have to give a quote but that quote could be €10000 a year so i wouldn't recommend this

I doubt it would cost that much, As i was paying 3500 with liberty

• Advertisement

I doubt it would cost that much, As i was paying 3500 with liberty

If they don't want your business and you force a quote they will just quote what they believe you wont pay, they are not required to have the quote be a reasonable amount

If they don't want your business and you force a quote they will just quote what they believe you wont pay, they are not required to have the quote be a reasonable amount

They won't take on business with anybody that has a claim, I have a claim on my policy for a theft claim back in april of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Is this a windup?

You're 19 looking for insurance on a car that has many red flags as a rally in North Korea!

1) Anyone who likes cars like this just screams boy racer to insurance companies.
    2) jap import so will be counted as a performance car realistically.
    3) it'll be a magnet for scumbags trying to steal it.
    4) its a 99 so realistically if you've passengers and god forbid you wrap it round a tree injuries could be catastrophic.

The words snowball and hell come to mind if you're actually being serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Corvo

As the above poster mentioned, you are so far outside the suitable risk profile for most insurers that may aswell trade in the Altezza and them to insure a Panzer tank.

Theres a reason young drivers start with small 1.0ltr vehicles or try gain some experience on another policy before trying to insure a vehicle like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

From an E36 to an Altezza... I can hear the alarm bells ringing when you ask for a quote :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

lol Altezza, its a micra for you lad :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

OP hasn't mentioned his existing penalty points and pending court case. He's driving a modified car, and seems to be coming into conflict with the Gardai frequently.

OP hasn't mentioned his existing penalty points and pending court case. He's driving a modified car, and seems to be coming into conflict with the Gardai frequently.

HaHa i didn't even cop that this was that thread, Id suggest learning to ride a bike at this point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Realistically OP you can go down the route of getting 3 letters of declinature from 3 insurers, present them to the declined cases board and you will eventually get a quote.

As motor insurance is a legal requirement in Ireland the first company to decline you formally is bound to quote you, as you are with Liberty it will likely be them.

The problem is that they will apply every loading and restriction they possibly can and they will make you pay thousands for a minimum level of cover.

Best advice is to bin the Altezza and get something less conspicuous. If in a few years time you haven't grown out of the phase you are currently in then you can see about getting a similar car insured, at this stage its best to cut your losses because there is no happy ending here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

Altezza? I am having troubles insure bloody Corolla. 34 years, full Irish licence, but no claims bonus expired 26 months ago. Called 10 insurers: 7 refused to quote me, got 3 quotes - 4800, 4000, and 1900. Bastards...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

fando wrote: »
    Altezza? I am having troubles insure bloody Corolla. 34 years, full Irish licence, but no claims bonus expired 26 months ago. Called 10 insurers: 7 refused to quote me, got 3 quotes - 4800, 4000, and 1900. Bastards...

Now that is taking the piss.. I had my no claims wiped and my insurance cancelled for non disclosure and it didn't even cost that. Have you tried Britton Insurance in Donegal? They have a few insurers who will insure "high risk" drivers that others won't.. Same advice for the OP.

I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

A bonus only lasts for 2 years.

I fail to see how the insurance industry are "bastards" because of a rule that every single insurance company has had in place for years and years.

:confused:

Your best bet is to go back to your most recent insurer and plead your case, they may look favorably on you. I would however suggest you lose the attitude, you catch more flies with honey and all that.

@Business Cat

How then you start driving if no one even quotes you or demands ridiculous money? If this is normal to you then good luck.

This should be somehow regulated so one can have access to transport (to go to work etc.) without being ripped off.

I guess the way that banks operated before 2008 was normal to you too because of the rules that have had in place for years and years.

@Business Cat

How then you start driving if no one even quotes you or demands ridiculous money? If this is normal to you then good luck.

This should be somehow regulated so one can have access to transport (to go to work etc.) without being ripped off.

I guess the way that banks operated before 2008 was normal to you too because of the rules that have had in place for years and years.

He is not being blocked from getting insurance just insurance on this car he is perfectly entitled to get a less powerful car and then have a reasonable insurance quote

• Advertisement
Advertisement