Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Ordinary level Maths and Irish?

• 09-02-2015 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

First off my Junior Cert Results:
    Latin: A
    History: A
    Geog : A
    Religion : A
    English A
    HL maths: C
    HL Irish : D
    French : C
    Science : B

Subjects taking for LC: HL Maths, OL Irish, HL French, History, Geog, Latin, Religion

I'm getting A's in most of my tests in History, Geog, Latin and Religion. And B's in French. I'm doing OL Irish. I'm still sticking with HL Maths but I'm struggling and I absolutely hate maths. Would it be a bad idea to drop HL maths? Judging from my JC results would it be likely I would get A1s in History,Latin,Geog,French, English? I want to study Law in College so I need over 510 points.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

If you continue to work hard and study regularly your Leaving Cert results should mirror your Junior Cert results without too much trouble.
    Unless you are failing all of your maths tests I would highly recommend sticking with HL for as long as you can; the extra 25 points can make a huge difference when you're aiming for a high points course. However your results from your other subjects imply that if you keep working hard you should still be able to get the points even without HL maths. If you are failing your tests badly and are doubtful about whether you could pass the real exam you should drop. A pass in ordinary level is 100 times better than a fail in higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rex Hiberniae

emersyn wrote: »
    If you continue to work hard and study regularly your Leaving Cert results should mirror your Junior Cert results without too much trouble.
    Unless you are failing all of your maths tests I would highly recommend sticking with HL for as long as you can; the extra 25 points can make a huge difference when you're aiming for a high points course. However your results from your other subjects imply that if you keep working hard you should still be able to get the points even without HL maths. If you are failing your tests badly and are doubtful about whether you could pass the real exam you should drop. A pass in ordinary level is 100 times better than a fail in higher.
    Thank you. How easier is the Ordinary level course? And how does it differ from HL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Thank you. How easier is the Ordinary level course? And how does it differ from HL?

No problem, I'm not an expert but as far as I know there isn't much difference in the topic covered in each course, the higher level material just goes into more depth than ordinary level. However from looking at the exam papers there does seem to be a large difference between the papers regarding difficulty - the OL paper seems to require around the same knowledge as the Junior Cert HL, if not simpler in parts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The OL courses for many LC subjects are just a little bit harder than HL JC. The HL courses are substantially harder.

A grades at JC are not really comparable to LC A grades, as the JC is designed to give you the most marks possible and the LC is more about giving you marks for relevant and expanded answers.

Advertisement