Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I do with...

• 09-02-2015 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

I thought this might be a useful thread. Rather than google for uses for strange or exotic ingredients, does anybody know what I should do with... (Mods can add this to the Cooking Chat thread if this is a thread too far).

Prepared shredded squid.

IMG_0605_1.jpg

I picked this up in the chilled foods section of my local Chinese supermarket. Product of Taiwan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I thought it's a snack, as I've had something similar, until you mentioned it's from the chilled section...

Ok so a reliable friend confirmed it's a snack, and also condiment she puts on the likes of congee, fried rice, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Good idea:) I have picked up some Rice flour to make rice pancakes from one of Yotam Ottolenghi's recipets. And by some, i mean 2kg of it. What else can I use it for?

Also, i have a pack of gram flour, I don't know why. Any suggestions?

If i found that squid in my cupboard, it would be swiftly thrown in the bin, ack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭squonk

Google gives you lots of recipes for gram flour like the page here

I immediately thought of Aloo Chaat but realised I was thinking of Aloo Tikki and, conrary to this recipe, you can use gram flour on the outside to help the cakes brown. Aloo Tikki is just fantastically nice if you like Indian food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Nice, i love those things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dibkins wrote: »
    Bhajees are the first things that spring to mind.

Alun wrote: »
    Bhajees are the first things that spring to mind.

And pakoras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radioscotland/events/wk16_muhallabia.pdf

Make muhallabia / mahallepi ...

Basically starch .with milk (or with water) and thickened . taste is added with mastic / rose water / blossom water/ almonds/ pistachios. The recipe I include uses mastic but I don't think this is available to buy in Dublin . Use some other flavouring that you like! Very adaptable desert...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

For Chickpea Flour, these are delicious http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/335606/red-onion-and-chilli-bhajis-with-mint-and-garlic-r

You can dip almost anything in the batter and make it delicious, I made my own paneer and deep fried that too.

This might combine both ingredients http://www.kamalascorner.com/snacks/magilampoo-murukku.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    And pakoras.
    They're the same thing. They're called bhajees in southern India and pakoras in the north.

• Advertisement

They're the same thing. They're called bhajees in southern India and pakoras in the north.

Aaaaaaahhh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

dibkins wrote: »
    Good idea:) I have picked up some Rice flour to make rice pancakes from one of Yotam Ottolenghi's recipets. And by some, i mean 2kg of it. What else can I use it for?

I use rice flour combined with tapioca flour to dredge squid pieces or prawns before deep frying when making salt 'n pepper squid.

Gram flour can be used to make a regional French pancake called Socca. It's the simplest of recipes - combine equal quantities of gram flour and water, add a little pepper, salt and ground cumin and a good plug of olive oil. The batter should be rested for a couple of hours before making the Socca. This is at its best when made in a blistering hot oven, but a combination of frying pan and grill can get a good result. Pre heat grill to highest level, preheat (non stick) pan. Add thin layer of batter and swirl around. Grill until it starts to blister. Then tear it up and eat with a cold drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Pearl Barley soup & broth mix from Tesco.
    It was cheap, so I bought a half kilo bag.
    Now what do I do?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Pearl Barley soup & broth mix from Tesco.
    It was cheap, so I bought a half kilo bag.
    Now what do I do?

Thanks in advance!

I'll suggest the obvious, make soup ;) also lovely in an Irish stew

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

As polydactyl said, throw a handful into your soups and stews. Don't be tempted to use more than your hand can grab though or it'll absorb way too much liquid.

...Buckwheat.
    Not the flour. What can I do with them? Just out of curiosity.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kat939

Picked up some smoked garlic in Lidl yesterday - any suggestions???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    ...Buckwheat.
    Not the flour. What can I do with them? Just out of curiosity.

That's stumped me too.
    Way too mushy when cooked. Not very nice at all. I might grind mine into flour to use it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

I have prawns (frozen), celery, fennel and 2 red peppers

Any ideas

I've got rice, pasta or potatoes (roosters) that can be part of the meal

:)

• Advertisement

I have prawns (frozen), celery, fennel and 2 red peppers

Any ideas

I've got rice, pasta or potatoes (roosters) that can be part of the meal

If you had a can of coconut cream, it'd go well with all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

beertons wrote: »
    If you had a can of coconut cream, it'd go well with all of them.
    Could a can of coconut milk and a small carton of cream do because I can't locate any coconut cream (except the stuff that prevents sun burn) in the shop

Also would the procedure be cut all the vegetables including garlic and onion and fry then add the prawns and continue frying then add cream and simmer.
    Also what would be the ideal quantity of each ingredient
    Finally which one would be best for this meal rice (long grain), pasta (shells and fusilli) or potatoes

Lump all the veg in, you never know how hungry you might get. I'd put the 2 liquids in, better to be safe than sorry. Hold off on the potatoes maybe, have it with the pasta. Unless you'd like it like a risotto. As for quantity of veg, depends on how much you have. Make a big pot, have it for a few days. I'd put the prawns into the pot after the cream has been added, to let them cook slowly. Made the mistake of frying prawns years ago, completely overdone.

Advertisement