Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Shipping motorbike from ROI to Iceland?

• 09-02-2015 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi All, looking for a little help on shipping my bike from Ireland to Iceland for a trip I'm planning. Has anyone done this before and if so could they advise on the easiest route?
    There seems to be a ferry from Denmark to Iceland called Smyril line which seems to be used by many international bikers, would it be best to head to denmark and take the ferry from there? Any and all advice is much appreciated as this is all very new to me !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Ferry from Hirtshalsis is the only option.
    There used to be an option from Hull and also Scotland, but they stopped 7 or 8 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

http://www.smyrilline.com/destinations/iceland/ferry-only/with-your-mc
    Bikes are free with a compulsory 2 day stop in the Faeroes.
    You could take the ferry to Holyhead, ride to Hull and get the Ferry to Rotterdam, then ride to Hirtshals .

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Illeagle

Thank you both for your reply ! Riding to Hirtshalsis sounds like a great time and one I'll probably be leaning more toward, but theoretically is there anything stopping me from taking a few ferries from England to the Faeroes and then catching the Smyrl line from there? Just better knowing all my options, thanks again !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think there are any ferries from the UK to the Faeroes, the Smyril line only runs from Hirtshals to Seydisfjordur and back through Torshavn.
    Choices are limited I think for that route.
    Good place to go, I was in Iceland a couple of times for work.
    Go in midsummer 24 hrs daylight, plenty of time for all the sightseeing you want to do.
    Visit the Blue Lagoon, overflow from Geothermal power generation, very relaxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

H2G2 wrote: »
    Ferry from Hirtshalsis is the only option.
    There used to be an option from Hull and also Scotland, but they stopped 7 or 8 years ago.
    This...

Bring a tent for the 48 hours in the Faroes, accommodation is limited & expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Illeagle

Thanks for all the help lads! Will be sure to ask for more if needed, much appreciated !

Advertisement