Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how can i cancel my credit card?

Options
  • 09-02-2015 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

do i have to go to my origin branch of BOI, or go to the nearest? THXTHX

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi johananovak,

Thank you for your post and welcome to Boards.ie.

I am sorry to hear that you are thinking of closing your Credit Card account.

If you wish to do this, there are a few steps that you must take before closure: 
    • Ensure that your Credit card balance is cleared in full
    • Cancel any 3rd party direct debits or subscription services directly with the retailer
    • If your billing address is within the Republic of Ireland, you must ensure that your account is in credit of E30 (or 23 pounds for sterling accounts) to allow for the Government Stamp Duty to be charged upon closure.
    [*]

Once this has been completed. Please contact Credit Card services on 0818 251 251 / 00353 56 7757747 and a representative will be happy to assist you with final closure. Once closed we would ask that you then destroy your card. 

Just to mention, Government Stamp duty is charged in arrears on all Credit Card accounts which is why is charged upon closure. This is a Government tax which we are obligated to collect.

We hope this helps and if we can assist you with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks,

Elaine

Advertisement