Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten PIN number - how many chances?

Options
  • 09-02-2015 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I know in an ATM you get three chances with your pin number. Tonight I tried it twice in a store and just had a complete mental blank - does that mean I only have 1 more chance or will it 'reset' so to speak so I'll get another couple of goes tomorrow? I know the last two digits and I'm 90% certain on the first so I just need to remember the second and ordering a new pin is a pain. I'm with PTSB if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

mel.b wrote: »
    I know in an ATM you get three chances with your pin number. Tonight I tried it twice in a store and just had a complete mental blank - does that mean I only have 1 more chance or will it 'reset' so to speak so I'll get another couple of goes tomorrow? I know the last two digits and I'm 90% certain on the first so I just need to remember the second and ordering a new pin is a pain. I'm with PTSB if that makes any difference.

Just the one more chance before it locks you out. Happened to me 4 or 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Bummer :( Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go to a branch with photo ID and they may be able to re-set the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Victor wrote: »
    Go to a branch with photo ID and they may be able to re-set the 3.

Not sure the branch staff can do anything with PINs, I think they have to post you a new one. I'd phone their call centre who might ask some security questions and post a new one straight away, would save a trip to the branch.

Going for a third attempt and getting it wrong could cause the card to be disabled and cancelled which might lead to further delays, I'd phone the call centre and ask for a new PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

In my case they posted my new pin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Not sure about PTSB, but they may be able to unlock your card if you lock yourself out. So, while they can't re-set your pin over the phone, they might give you a few more chances to try your current one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Try 1890500121 or @askpermanenttsb if on Twitter.

Personally I would have thought the chances would reset at midnight.. But no one else thinks so, so I'm probably wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

I was sent a new PIN (AIB)

Advertisement