Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Gardai in city centre?

Options
  • 09-02-2015 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed recently, theres a significantly increased Gardai presence in the city centre over the past month or so? Its not a complaint like, I was just wondering if I was going crazy :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I noticed on the 25th Jan there was a gardai at every corner of O'Connell Street from Parnell Square to Trinity, and today seen 6 on Abbey Street between 10-4pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yeah I seen that as well, also two Gardai on Talbot street in the morning, and a few on grafton street as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I went up and asked one who was blocking access to Abbey St if it was for the Luas works and he said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Slydice wrote: »
    I went up and asked one who was blocking access to Abbey St if it was for the Luas works and he said it was.

Seriously? This is the job of Gardai now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

dan1895 wrote: »
    Seriously? This is the job of Gardai now?

Well its better to have Gardai on the street where they might be of use, instead of sitting in a station. Do you seriously think a DCC worker would be able to do that job without issue? You would have the unions looking for a pay increase as its not in their job description.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

About ****ing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

hfallada wrote: »
    Well its better to have Gardai on the street where they might be of use, instead of sitting in a station. Do you seriously think a DCC worker would be able to do that job without issue? You would have the unions looking for a pay increase as its not in their job description.

It's good that there is a larger precence on the street of course but this doesn't seem like an efficient use of the already stretched resources. If DCC are concerned about the local toe rags getting into areas were work is ongoing then why not hire a private security firm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Government afraid of water protesters making appearance so have state gards out on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Is the work on abbey street related to the luas? Its kinda hard to tell :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,722 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They must think the mob will think it's Irish Water works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

According to RTE news this evening there is an ongoing crackdown on drug dealing and associated petty crime. It's to continue indefinitely as it's reduced theft from shops by 90% :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

well standing out like a sore thumb in the high visibility coats at every corner isn't really going to help. maybe "under cover" in normal clothing might help to catch them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

SMJSF wrote: »
    well standing out like a sore thumb in the high visibility coats at every corner isn't really going to help. maybe "under cover" in normal clothing might help to catch them!

Thats what they were doing seems now they're looking to get a more visible presence as well. Its made a huge difference to the amount of shoplifters in the city the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

A lot of the presence is to facilitate luas works and the associated traffic management. On a daily basis they manage the trinity /Dame Street bus corridor. The luas works on abbey Street has added to that. Abbey Street is awkward as half the turn off from o'connell Street has to remain open to allow the luas run normally, but of course you get idiots still making the turn and driving down the luas lines - saw this happen during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So the feeling I'm getting is that it's a combo of reasons including traffic management for the Luas works and visible drug checks. RTE News reports the drug checks have had a direct impact on shop lifting or shop robberies I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

perhaps the government have lifted the overtime ban..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Slydice wrote: »
    So the feeling I'm getting is that it's a combo of reasons including traffic management for the Luas works and visible drug checks. RTE News reports the drug checks have had a direct impact on shop lifting or shop robberies I think.

Its had a huge effect.

Advertisement