Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a race van in the UK

Options
  • 09-02-2015 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm just wondering would it be possible to VRT and Insure a race van here? I've been looking through posts and it seems the amount of storage area brings up a few problems. Also, nearly all the campers I've seen for sale that would suit, have no walk through from front to back. Can it be insured this way? I'd be looking to fit a go-kart in the back.
    Has anyone gone through this?

Thanks.

Comments

I'm just wondering would it be possible to VRT and Insure a race van here?

Yes but not as a camper.
    Commercial/private only.

Mine was inspected to make sure it wasn't a splitter day I changed the log, old system anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ontheballboy

Yes but not as a camper.
    Commercial/private only.

Mine was inspected to make sure it wasn't a splitter day I changed the log, old system anyways.
    What was the big deciding factor for it not being able to be cleared as a camper or was it your choice? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

If you search log enough, you can get a camper with a very large garage which would take a go-kart without putting it on its side. I nearly bought one that would take a quad easily.

What was the big deciding factor for it not being able to be cleared as a camper or was it your choice? Cheers.

:)
    Yeah I worded that a bit odd.
    I have a camper, which was a commercial. The day I got the log book changed, a clerk from the tax office came out to inspect it to ensure it was a camper (gas hobs, bed etc.) and also not a splitter (race truck), and they told me as much at the time.

Not having space for a motorbike was the big deciding factor I think.;)

I don't know how they do things in the UK but you might find one registered as a camper with a splitter in it then you might just get away with having to import it.
    I'm not sure if UK race vans would fall under showmans class either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

What are the advantages of having it declared a camper? Is up just the road tax difference? Neighbour converted a Mercedes mobile library into a race truck a few years ago. Must ask which route he went , declaration wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I'm just wondering would it be possible to VRT and Insure a race van here? I've been looking through posts and it seems the amount of storage area brings up a few problems. Also, nearly all the campers I've seen for sale that would suit, have no walk through from front to back. Can it be insured this way? I'd be looking to fit a go-kart in the back.
    Has anyone gone through this?

Thanks.

Theres plenty of xlwb sprinter race vans with walk through, they're usually registered crew cab, cargo area at the back must be 40% of wheel base in length at floor level with one row of seats, with seats in the back it must be 30% of the wheelbase in length.

"The carriage of passengers is permitted in a crew cab provided they are employed by the registered owner of the vehicle, the carriage takes place during the course of their employment (only during the time they are paid, not going to or coming from work unless it forms part of the paid working day) and the vehicle is ordinarily used for the conveyance of goods in the course of trade or business."

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ontheballboy

Would someone be insured in a commercial or crew cab for weekend use in a van kitted out as a camper? A registered and insured Camper would probably be the most legal way to travel to and from the track if it was possible to do both.

Advertisement